I Asked Kirk About Oliver Martin Today

RobHowe

Administrator
Q. Do you feel like you guys did everything you could with Oliver Martin and did you feel like you were in there to the end? I know it's hard to lose a kid out of your backyard.

KIRK FERENTZ: You never know what a prospect is thinking. I've read we were right there till the end and I think we were, we were legitimately right there. It would be wonderful if we got every guy we wanted to get. We don't. We played against a guy on that team from this year from our state. Some how we have to find a way to win, even though they get good players from our state. We don't want that to happen. Certainly I think we worked as hard as we possibly could to recruit him and there are no regrets there.

The thing about the recruiting it's up to the individual and I tell every prospect accident first of all scholarships aren't given, they are earned. And with that comes the right for the prospect to -- he's earned the right to make the decision that's best for him.

So for me to tell a prospect to act like I know what's best for them, I think that's probably off center on that up with. That would really be presumptuous on my part. We don't do that, but we try to present our school and the program as well as we can and players have to make that choice from there.

Don't always agree with Kirk and what he does but this quote is why I would want my son to play for him and why I do have a great deal of respect for him as a person "The thing about the recruiting it's up to the individual and I tell every prospect accident first of all scholarships aren't given, they are earned. And with that comes the right for the prospect to -- he's earned the right to make the decision that's best for him"

Only time will tell if Oliver made the right decision for him and that goes the same for all recruits and for that matter all choices in life.

Mr Max Cooper will have a better more productive career then Oliver Martin. Book it. Martin will be buried on depth chart up there. Cooper the more I look at his ball skills and what all I've read about him is pretty crazy. Wisky will be not only kicking themselves that we got Stanley out of there but also Cooper.

Yeah I'm not nearly as pessimistic on how I was feeling about losing Martin originally. Hopefully it's not just the hoopla of signing day getting to me. But the guys we got should be able to be good. Smith is physically a man right now. His attitude is exactly what you look for. He has no problem being a trail blazing trend setter of sorts. I love the story of how Bell found him to begin with and how that all played out. Pretty fortunate I would say that we found him. He's from a town about 30 mins south of Memphis close to Tunica. Less then 90 miles from Oxford. There's no reason the SEC should have let a kid like him slip out. Their loss is our gain

Looking at the West High commitment list, I noticed that a female soccer player signed a LOI with Meechigan. Any connection?

Q. Do you feel like you guys did everything you could with Oliver Martin and did you feel like you were in there to the end? I know it's hard to lose a kid out of your backyard.

KIRK FERENTZ: You never know what a prospect is thinking. I've read we were right there till the end and I think we were, we were legitimately right there. It would be wonderful if we got every guy we wanted to get. We don't. We played against a guy on that team from this year from our state. Some how we have to find a way to win, even though they get good players from our state. We don't want that to happen. Certainly I think we worked as hard as we possibly could to recruit him and there are no regrets there.

The thing about the recruiting it's up to the individual and I tell every prospect accident first of all scholarships aren't given, they are earned. And with that comes the right for the prospect to -- he's earned the right to make the decision that's best for him.

So for me to tell a prospect to act like I know what's best for them, I think that's probably off center on that up with. That would really be presumptuous on my part. We don't do that, but we try to present our school and the program as well as we can and players have to make that choice from there.

Yawn. That was quite the recruitment speech. Is he saying that none of his coaches ever tell a recruit that they are offering the best opportunity?

Losing him is less problematic than Michigan's strategy execution. They know that Iowa with elite skill players presents a threat to their hegemonic position. By stealing Arrington; Darboh; Rudock and now Oliver and using the lure of "we got them to the NFL, we can do it with you" promises they hope to put a hole in our battleship.

This tactic started when Iowa was beating them regularly. What's impressive is that Kirk has maintained a winning record against the Wolverines despite this frantic open warfare. And Iowa stole a Thorpe winner from their backyard resulting in some wounded pride I would bet.