I am starting to feel it (Hawks v Ohio State)

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
I was just chatting with a co-worker in the hallway...and he asked me the question I get asked about 50 times a week around town: So what do you think?

As in, what do I think about this week's game. Here is what I wrote last night

I wouldn't call that pessimistic, I wouldn't call it optimistic. Perhaps it's realistic. Then again, every person thinks his or her opinion is realistic, and unless others fall in line behind them, they are pessimists or optimists. But I digress.

I kept coming back to Terrelle Pryor and his comments from this week:

“The game plan we have in this week is one of my favorites since I’ve been here,†Pryor told reporters after practice on Wednesday. “I really like it."

When asked if he likes it better than that Rose Bowl game plan, Pryor said, “Yeah … more. It’s my favorite one since I’ve been here.â€

Iowa boasts the Big Ten’s best rushing defense, allowing just 86.8 yards per game. But the Hawkeyes are just eighth in the Big Ten in passing defense.

Does that mean Pryor will throw more than the season-low 13 attempts he had against Penn State?

“I think it depends on how we have to carry on and the way the game is flowing,†Pryor said. “That’s what Coach is so good at. Some people think that we go at a slow tempo. But if it’s needed …â€

You can read the entire story here

I guess I am of the opinion that if Ohio State is seriously considering adjusting the tempo of their offense, I consider that to be a good thing. This is an offense that has put up 43 points on the average in its last three games.

They scored just 18 on the road at Wisconsin, the last time they lost, and Wisconsin's defense isn't a world beating group.

In the article linked above, Pryor talked about how Iowa's defense was dead tired against Northwestern in the fourth quarter last week. They were. Part of that had to do with Iowa being 2-14 on third downs in the game and forcing the defense to keep hitting the field en route to a 50-play second half for the NW offense.

Ohio State does not regularly run a hurry up tempo. If they go to that early in the game, I don't think it will have the desired results...especially if the Iowa offense can move the ball a bit.

Now, if the Iowa offense struggles, it won't matter much.

But if you get a Top 10 team and one of the best programs in the nation to seriously consider breaking away from what it does week in and week out, they are worried about something...OR, they see a glaring opportunity. If its the latter, I just don't think they can execute at the tenor or tempo that Michigan and Northwestern execute their offenses at, since those programs do it every day in practice in the fall, the summer and spring.

Ohio State is not built like that.

Jim Tressell is no dummy...but perhaps he is on the verge of making a mistake on Saturday.

With all the pomp and circumstance surrounding this game, I think the Hawkeyes are sitting in a good spot...waiting to ambush the Buckeyes. Perhaps a lot of that is just Hawkeye hope on my part, and I won't argue with you if you feel that's the case...but the closer we get to kickoff, the more optimistic I am about Iowa winning this game.

One more thing to keep in mind: Ohio State's kickoff coverage unit has been worse than Iowa's this year, including their punt coverage. Wisconsin opened the game with a kickoff return for a touchdown, and on the average, DJK is the Big Ten's leader in that department. He took one to the house against the Buckeyes last year, and if there is one player more than any other on the Iowa team that is looking to make a final statement on Saturday, its Derrell Johnson-Koulianos.

One more thing to keep in mind: Ohio State's kickoff coverage unit has been worse than Iowa's this year, including their punt coverage. Wisconsin opened the game with a kickoff return for a touchdown, and on the average, DJK is the Big Ten's leader in that department. He took one to the house against the Buckeyes last year, and if there is one player more than any other on the Iowa team that is looking to make a final statement on Saturday, its Derrell Johnson-Koulianos.

Wow...I have not followed this much this year, and had no idea their special teams play is as bad as you say it is. I hope you are right!

For some reason I feel better about this game then the Northwestern game. I think that we matchup better with Ohio State. They are not a true spread team, Tressel still likes that power run game. Also with what seems like Ohio State trying to change what they do it might take away from their offense. If you try to change who you are for one game your offense may not run with the same tempo as it always does. Guys try to think to much and just don't go out there and react. Either way I hope we get a good effort out of the hawks and give these seniors the sendoff from Kinnick Stadium they deserve.

I have a feeling, against my nature and with zero rationale, that we are going to truck these tools.

Just intuition. Can't explain it so won't attempt to.

For the record I had real strong intuition that we were in trouble the past two weeks. So take it for what it's worth.

That's what I was trying to get to in my "Can Iowa Bounce Back" thread -- in response to your cover story.

I felt you were expressing a bit of "futility" when it came to the offense the last 2 weeks. I concluded (rationalized?) that it wasn't really as hopelessly inexplicable as it seemed but boiled down to Ricky mismanaging the passing game and being "off". Maybe he overstudied IU and NW and "rattled" himself into pressing against what should have been easy execution against weak secondaries. He got greedy at the wrong time and didn't execute very well under pressure by abandoning what had been successful (using the TE).

If he keeps composure and the WR play with focus (no stupid blocks in the back, complete the routes) like they did through game 8, the passing game will give the guys a chance. In other words ... this game will be won / lost on Ricky's decisions and accuracy at key times of the game because the passing game is the only possible advantage Iowa might have.

On the other hand ... OSU is talented enough and Tressell is saavy enough (and willing) to immediately "untweak" their gameplan and do what they do if Iowa gets too close for comfort. I still can't shake the feeling that they will dictate this game and do what is necessary to win in the 4th.

So, while not as despondent about how poorly Iowa has looked the last 2 weeks, I still don't see much more than a moral victory.

Well....if Ohio State ups the tempo I have the exact opposite feeling Jon does....that the Hawks will get buried.

I hope I'm wrong.

I'm not sure what to think about the game. Iowa could come out flat like they did against Western Michigan in 2007.

The Hawks could come out fired up and even if they were hitting on all cylinders I'm not sure they could beat Ohio State.

I know one thing...a victory tomorrw would go down as one of Iowa's greatest ever. I hope it happens!

I think I know what Pryor was referring too.... they watched the tapes of IA vs. NW and IA vs. Indy. They figured it out...

Several times we've heard the defense was on the field 50 plays in the 2nd half and were tired. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that mean the NW offense was on the field for 50 plays as well running and fighting just as hard as the Hawks? They didn't appear to be tired to me.

If Ohio State tries an up tempo no huddle game, it may be a bad day for the Hawk defense. That is if this past Saturday is any indication.

With that said, I'll be rooting for my Hawks no matter what.

It really doesn't matter if OSU changes their game plan on offense. If Iowa can't score more than 21 points in the game, like they couldn't against the mighty Indiana and NW defense, Iowa will lose their first game by more than 7 points since the 2007 season.

This is called being a fan and seeing things as half full. No one wants to go into a game thinking you have no chance so you find things to be optimistic about. Personally I think Iowa can win, and I think they will.

Either way it will be a blast. Last tailgate in IC until 2011

I agree that OSU and Pryor are thinking they can duplicate the NW system and Persa. I just do not think that Pryor is as precise as Persa or as used to running that type of offense. He is better at buying time and then throwing long.

I think Iowa can win tomorrow, but not many of the pundits do...so it will be all the sweeter if they pull it off.

Go Hawks...beat the Bucks! Go Wolves...beat the Badgers!!

OSU will throw often and they will throw it short. They will roll Pryor out and let him choose run or pass, taking whichever we give him. They will attack our edges and exploit that. They will cross guys into the middle trying to confuse our youth.They will go nowhere near our front four. They will run off tackle when Pryor needs a breather. Maybe, or maybe not. Just thoughts.

Well....if Ohio State ups the tempo I have the exact opposite feeling Jon does....that the Hawks will get buried.

I hope I'm wrong.

I'm not sure what to think about the game. Iowa could come out flat like they did against Western Michigan in 2007.

The Hawks could come out fired up and even if they were hitting on all cylinders I'm not sure they could beat Ohio State.

I know one thing...a victory tomorrw would go down as one of Iowa's greatest ever. I hope it happens!

This Ohio State team is ranked four spots below the Michigan State team that Iowa beat by 31 point three weeks ago. It would be a big win, but I don't know that it would be in that category.

Several times we've heard the defense was on the field 50 plays in the 2nd half and were tired. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that mean the NW offense was on the field for 50 plays as well running and fighting just as hard as the Hawks? They didn't appear to be tired to me.t.

It doesn't work that way. Different type of battle being a dl or ol

Latest posts