Hundley Recruitment

HawkWT

Brett Hundley was on the Rich Eisen show getting interviewed by fill in host Rick Neuheisel (I know, I know).

Rick asked Brett how often he called him during his recruitment and without hesitation Brett said, "everyday."

Would/does Ferentz do this?

No he doesn't....and this has always p*ssed me off to no end. I've heard him say before that he makes his sales pitch, and then pretty much tells the recruit that "now you have to do what's best for you"....the first time I read this, I almost drove my head into a concrete wall. What 17 years old knows what's best for them??? You do what OU and Texas did whilst recruiting Earl Campbell....take a hotel room in his po-dunk home town for a whole month prior to signing day (iowa has the money)...do WHATEVER it takes and do NOT take no for an answer!!! I know, I know.....not the "Iowa" way to do things.

No he doesn't....and this has always p*ssed me off to no end. I've heard him say before that he makes his sales pitch, and then pretty much tells the recruit that "now you have to do what's best for you"....the first time I read this, I almost drove my head into a concrete wall. What 17 years old knows what's best for them??? You do what OU and Texas did whilst recruiting Earl Campbell....take a hotel room in his po-dunk home town for a whole month prior to signing day (iowa has the money)...do WHATEVER it takes and do NOT take no for an answer!!! I know, I know.....not the "Iowa" way to do things.

Jeesh, I know everyday might be a stretch and even overwhelming for some recruits, but I did just drive my head thru a brick wall hearing he does 1 pitch.

I've read it more than once. I'd say that it was unbelievable, but it really isn't given his disdain for the blue chip recruit. Forgive me for repeating this for the 1000th time, but I am convinced KF gets more jazzed going 10-2 coaching up a bunch of 2 stars and winning an Orange Bowl, than he ever would going 12-0 and winning a NC with a bunch of Alabama type talent....his ego enjoys hearing how it was all KF and his gritty "hard workers"....not throwing the ball out onto the field and letting his supreme blue chip athletes dominate on their own. You get no credit for that....in his mind. He actually thinks as many people nationally remember who won the 2010 Orange Bowl as those do who remember who won the National Championship. That game as much as we all enjoyed it, did NOTHING to elevate this dead program!

Last edited:
Seems to me I remember a story about Evy recruiting Alex Karras and doing something similar.

I've read it more than once. I'd say that it was unbelievable, but it really isn't given his disdain for the blue chip recruit. Forgive me for repeating this for the 1000th time, but I am convinced KF gets more jazzed going 10-2 coaching up a bunch of 2 stars and winning an Orange Bowl, than he ever would going 12-0 and winning a NC with a bunch of Alabama type talent....his ego enjoys hearing how it was all KF and his gritty "hard workers"....not throwing the ball out onto the field and letting his supreme blue chip athletes dominate on their own. You get no credit for that....in his mind. He actually thinks as many people nationally remember who won the 2010 Orange Bowl as those who remember wining the National Championship. That game as much as we all enjoyed it, did NOTHING to elevate this dead program!

Play, I don't know if this is actually true or not, but I do believe it is the perception amongst recruits coaches. We've seen kfootball personally back off of a couple blue chip OL's in the past because he didn't want to "play the game" with them. For awhile, kfootball's plan did work. I think he failed to realize when it stopped working and continued recruiting the 2 and 3 star kids. But your margin for error is much smaller when you miss on a 2 or 3 star kid as opposed to a 4+ star kid. When everyone is recruiting a 4 star kid, he may not pan out, but you should assume they HAVE the talent because schools are recruiting him for a reason. With a 2 star kid, schools AREN'T recruiting him for a reason. And if you miss on that, then you've shot yourself in the foot. kfootball has gone through several clips and barely has any feet left.

Play, I don't know if this is actually true or not, but I do believe it is the perception amongst recruits coaches. We've seen kfootball personally back off of a couple blue chip OL's in the past because he didn't want to "play the game" with them. For awhile, kfootball's plan did work. I think he failed to realize when it stopped working and continued recruiting the 2 and 3 star kids. But your margin for error is much smaller when you miss on a 2 or 3 star kid as opposed to a 4+ star kid. When everyone is recruiting a 4 star kid, he may not pan out, but you should assume they HAVE the talent because schools are recruiting him for a reason. With a 2 star kid, schools AREN'T recruiting him for a reason. And if you miss on that, then you've shot yourself in the foot. kfootball has gone through several clips and barely has any feet left.

I got the feeling that with Justin Hilliard this year Ferentz gave more than 1 sales pitch. Given, he had a card to play with the brother connection. Maybe it was more of the assistants being persistent with him.

Has anyone here had a phone conversation with KF, if you think his press conferences are boring....

Teenagers luv chatting on the phone with out of touch old dudes.

"Yes! Kirks calling again Mom!!! I sure hope we discuss the weather and if the fish are bitin'!!"

Arvada said......

-------- But your margin for error is much smaller when you miss on a 2 or 3 star kid as opposed to a 4+ star kid.

SO true my friend...your margin of error game to game is intensified 10 fold when you have to worry about overachieving every game. NOBODY is going to win a NC with nothing but 2 and 3 stars....lack of consistency game to game will always catch up with you at least 2-3 times per year. More at Iowa with KF captaining ships into giant glaciers every week.

Last edited:
Arvada said......

-------- But your margin for error is much smaller when you miss on a 2 or 3 star kid as opposed to a 4+ star kid.

SO true my friend...your margin of error game to game is intensified 10 fold when you have to worry about overachieving every game. NOBODY is going to win a NC with nothing but 2 and 3 stars....lack of consistency game to game will always catch up with you at least 2-3 times per year. More at Iowa with KF captaining ships into giant glaciers every week.

We are "hearing" in the media reports of Iowa going after all these '16 and even '17 kids. So, there is a buzz with recruiting. But if we start getting the same type of early verbals that we have the past 4 or 5 classes, then maybe kfootball just doesn't have it in him anymore. 2015 could very well be his last.

His last season should have been years ago....I'm starting to think he will never be gone. If he plays blind squirrel next year and happens to catch some breaks against some teams that decide not to show up to play, we could be screwed for another couple of years.

Don't worry. 2015 is going to be bad. Rest of conference is getting better, and we almost always lose at least one OOC game.

Cjb will be running for his life. And if he gets hurt the season is over

Jeesh, I know everyday might be a stretch and even overwhelming for some recruits, but I did just drive my head thru a brick wall hearing he does 1 pitch.

LOL that you believe this.

The derp on this board is painful.

Latest posts