Hubbard Never Practiced a Day.....

Your are high and a horrendous judge of talent. Yes Basabe is a stud. But this team is nowhere without Cartwright. Just wait until he gets hurt this season and sits out a few games.
Basabe can't do his thang if Cartwright isn't getting him the ball.

Me and every other BCS level coach who didn't offer Bryce out of HS or JUCO. He was good b/c he was our only option and had to be the guy with the ball in his hands at all times. But he also led us to how many wins?

Really? Tell me that you wouldn't have traded Bryce for any other PG in the Big 10 last year. If you say you wouldn't have, you don't know bball. He was good for Iowa, but that's cuz he's all we had.

Now my boy Basabe. He's a legit talent. Size and athleticism to compete in the Big 10

So your argument is that the guy who led the Big 10 in assists doesn't have the talent to compete in that league? Solid position, man...

The only PG's I would have traded Bryce for would have been Morris/Taylor. He is better than the rest, he started shaky, but he finished strong and was a good as any PG in the league in the second half of the season. Are there things like 3-pt shooting he can improve on, yeah, but after Morris/Taylor, he was as good as any other PG in the Big Ten.

Your an idiot. Flat out the biggest koolaid drinker on the board. So Bryce was better than Etwan Moore? Hell he wasn't even better than Purdue's backup PG. He's better than Battle for Penn State? Get out of here. Kalin Lucas???? McCamey? Thompson? Really?

So your argument is that the guy who led the Big 10 in assists doesn't have the talent to compete in that league? Solid position, man...

My position is that someone had to handle the ball for Iowa and with Payne out it was 100% on Bryce. Let's be honest, he is a solid backup PG for a winning Big 10 team. That's my whole point. If we keep bringing in PG's like Bryce Cartwright we are going to keep having losing records

Cartwright still isn't. Basabe is a stud. Love him!!

Your basketball knowledge sucks if you don't think that Cartwright is a stud. Cartwright led the Big10 in assists, was 7th in the league in asst/turnover ratio, and was 27th in scoring.

Basabe is a stud as well. Those are the two primary recruits that Fran brought in that we have seen play minutes at Iowa.

It sucks that Hubbard pulled the chute this early but there is more to the story than is being let out.

Me and every other BCS level coach who didn't offer Bryce out of HS or JUCO. He was good b/c he was our only option and had to be the guy with the ball in his hands at all times. But he also led us to how many wins?

If I am not mistaken, Basabe played on the same team with the same teammates and nobody that could do anything off of the bench. Depth at one position being is better than having a bench that could not contribute at really any position.
Look, say what you want, but Cartwright does make Iowa go and if he didn't get the ball to your boy Basabe by drawing defenders on the drive, he wouldn't have had the year he did.
I love Basabe as much as the next Iowa fan, but he has a tremendous amount of work to do before he is as good as some are making him out to be. He is supremely athletic and appears to have a good work ethic, so long as that work ethic is there he will be that good when all is said and done.
Would you trade Melsahn for any other PF's in the Big Ten? Same question you asked about Cartwright...my answer would be yes, just like with Cartwright. It is pretty simple, Iowa's best players are not the best players in the league at this point, but they aren't as bad as their record indicated last season.
Iowa will be a different team this year, period. With one year and one offseason under their belt, those close games they lost last year can turn into wins. Until Iowa has a complete team and I am not talking about getting 5-star players, but good starters and players that do nothing but contribute from the bench as freshman, but can grow into starters as their careers go on. There is a good foundations set in place, it is a process and Fran will get it done.

The same amount of wins that Basabe led us to. Are you for real???:eek:

Your an idiot. Flat out the biggest koolaid drinker on the board. So Bryce was better than Etwan Moore? Hell he wasn't even better than Purdue's backup PG. He's better than Battle for Penn State? Get out of here. Kalin Lucas???? McCamey? Thompson? Really?

Moore/Battle were not the PG's on their teams; and yes he is better than Lewis Jackson and Tim Frazier...have a nice day:)

Lucas has never been the same since his achilles injury, McCamey is a head case and was one of the reasone Illinois has done nothing with him running their team...Thompson and Cartwright have very similar impacts on their teams. I am certainly not drinking any kool-aid, I believe what I see. It is funny how people always want other teams players...or take it to the other extreme and think that Iowa's players are better than what they are.

Moore/Battle were not the PG's on their teams; and yes he is better than Lewis Jackson and Tim Frazier...have a nice day:)

Lucas has never been the same since his achilles injury, McCamey is a head case and was one of the reasone Illinois has done nothing with him running their team...Thompson and Cartwright have very similar impacts on their teams. I am certainly not drinking any kool-aid, I believe what I see. It is funny how people always want other teams players...or take it to the other extreme and think that Iowa's players are better than what they are.

He is absolutely not better than Lewis Jackson. I'm done getting in an argument with you if you truly believe that Lucas, McCamey, and Thompson were all worse than Bryce Cartwright. Bryce started the year on the bench behind Cully Payne!

He is absolutely not better than Lewis Jackson. I'm done getting in an argument with you if you truly believe that Lucas, McCamey, and Thompson were all worse than Bryce Cartwright. Bryce started the year on the bench behind Cully Payne!

You can look at the teams that these players were on (Lucas, McCamey and Thompson). Thompson is a leader, like I think Bryce is and that is why I said they impact their teams similarly. Lucas/McCamey were not leaders at their positions and it showed during their last two seasons on the floor.
I don't care that Bryce started the season behind Payne, it doesn't matter, Payne got hurt and Bryce capitalized on the opportunity. He led the Big Ten in assists for a team that was one of the worst shooting teams in the Big Ten. It either says that Iowa has nobody that can get the ball to a teammate, or Bryce made good choices with the ball when he attacked the basket.
Yes, Bryce is better than Jackson. We will see this season, the supporting cast at Purdue will not bet Johnson/Moore, yes Hummel will be back, but there really isn't a lot back.

There is no way in hell you are a Hawkeye fan. Jay Bilas of ESPN gushed over Cartwright. His speed is amazing. His court vision is fantastic. This season, his leadership will be on make this team.
Clearly you have more hoops savvy than Bilas or anyone else on this board.

My position is that someone had to handle the ball for Iowa and with Payne out it was 100% on Bryce. Let's be honest, he is a solid backup PG for a winning Big 10 team. That's my whole point. If we keep bringing in PG's like Bryce Cartwright we are going to keep having losing records

You lead a TEAM in assists because you have to be "the guy". You lead a LEAGUE in assists because you have some punch to your game.

Just to clear something up here, Cartwright was third in the league in assists for the season. He has the second highest assist rate to Morris. Cartwright is a good player but there were no other ball handlers on his team. I believe he's a middle of the pack starting guard in the Big Ten. No more and certainly no less. He wasn't Lucas, he wasn't Morris and he wasn't Battle. He may have been even with McCarney.

Just to clear something up here, Cartwright was third in the league in assists for the season. He has the second highest assist rate to Morris. Cartwright is a good player but there were no other ball handlers on his team. I believe he's a middle of the pack starting guard in the Big Ten. No more and certainly no less. He wasn't Lucas, he wasn't Morris and he wasn't Battle. He may have been even with McCarney.

Yes, sorry, you're right. He was the Big 10 assists leader for in-conference games only. Including non-conference games he was 3rd.

You let us overrate Cartwright and we'll let you clone fans keep thinking that Diane Garrett is an NBA player, deal?

Really, that is your answer? Fran is in his second season for recruiting and Iowa has been one of the worst programs in the Big Ten for a few years. There has been so much negativity about Iowa for over a decade and it is going to take time to change that aura around the program.
I agree a little bit with the OP, Hubbard didn't play a game and everyone is all emotional about this.
This opens up a scholarship for 2013, that is not a bad thing.
As far as having trouble saying "yes" it should be expected, but then a player like Meyer says "yes" to Iowa and it tells me that there is still a lot of good players available for the 2012 class and Iowa has legit shots to get them. I am surprised at this point how many of the top 250 players haven't said "yes" to anyone yet. Fran has had one player leave at this point, he is still light years ahead of previous Staff's retainment record. He has had 8 players say "yes" to Iowa and one has walked away leaving Iowa with 7 players after not even two full recruiting seasons at work.
This may be veiwed as a setback today, but it will be a minor setback in the big picture.

Meyer isn't a high level recruit. He waited for a Clemson offer that never came and held some mid-major offers. And this years' class was ranked #9 and that was WITH Hubbard. Sorry, but this staff's recruiting isn't any better than the last staff's so far. Fran struggled to get recruits to commit when he still had another scholarship available. Fran needs to pray Gessell and Woodbury want to rebuild Iowa but that is looking bleak. Gessell has hinted at favoring Standford because of academics. If Woodbury gets UNC or Kansas offer he is gone. And don't say Fran will find someone better if they don't come to Iowa because that is total BS! I see no prospects Fran is after better and frankly our current players aren't either.

Meyer isn't a high level recruit. He waited for a Clemson offer that never came and held some mid-major offers. And this years' class was ranked #9 and that was WITH Hubbard. Sorry, but this staff's recruiting isn't any better than the last staff's so far. Fran struggled to get recruits to commit when he still had another scholarship available. Fran needs to pray Gessell and Woodbury want to rebuild Iowa but that is looking bleak. Gessell has hinted at favoring Standford because of academics. If Woodbury gets UNC or Kansas offer he is gone. And don't say Fran will find someone better if they don't come to Iowa because that is total BS! I see no prospects Fran is after better and frankly our current players aren't either.

Actually, one of the Rivals guys said in a chat earlier this year that Meyer was a borderline Top 150 recruit. Recruits like that alone will not bring Iowa back to where they need to be, but it is a good start. Add Woodbury, Gessell, and another prospect Fran likes and I would be very content with that recruiting class.

Latest posts