Howe: Time for Change

We all make jokes about him but Kirk is highly intelligent. There is no way he doesn’t want the offense to be drastically better. So why does nothing change?

I agree nepotism is part of it but Kirk has never let his OC alone, the offense is mostly Kirk’s vision.
If Kirk was so damn smart he would have done something about Iowa’s routinely lackluster offense years ago.

It seems the only thing he’s intelligent about is snowing a weak AD and routinely getting more money.

If Kirk was so damn smart he would have done something about Iowa’s routinely lackluster offense years ago.

It seems the only thing he’s intelligent about is snowing a weak AD and routinely getting more money.

Rampant inflation in the coaching salary wars has made Ferentz one of the best values in college football. There can't possibly be another guy with 7 career 10 win seasons in the P5 who is under $5 million. I think Gundy is the only other guy with a similar stat line who is reasonably priced, but since the Big 8 is going to be moved down out of the P5 soon I'm not sure if we can count him.

Rampant inflation in the coaching salary wars has made Ferentz one of the best values in college football. There can't possibly be another guy with 7 career 10 win seasons in the P5 who is under $5 million. I think Gundy is the only other guy with a similar stat line who is reasonably priced, but since the Big 8 is going to be moved down out of the P5 soon I'm not sure if we can count him.
You guys in the Carolinas still consider Big 8 P5? The rest up us moved them behind the AAC a couple years back. Just ask the playoff committee.

To the fans who are

Why would he want to? He is way to old to be “starting over” or coaching the new style of offensive football. He has no one at all that can force him to change his style. Kirk knows he is untouchable. He is the HC, the AD and the President at Iowa. He will retire when he is ready. Until then we are stuck with this 1958 offense….

I was a proponent of hiring Brian as OC because I thought it might loosen up the old man.

I remember when he was handed the reigns and that being the prevailing thought of many. It was as if BF couldn't do it then it's just not happening. Well it's been 5 yrs or so now since then and it's safe to say it's just not happening. Some of the 'New Kirk' things have been positives but they've been subtle tweaks here and there is all.

It's so frustrating because what OC out there has a 5 yr resume that BF has? There's no way anyone can have offenses ranked in the 100s of so many categories and keep their job for this long can there? Nepotism is a thing and there's reasons why it's frowned upon.

After BF was involved with the whole racial deal along with Doyle one would think they'd be well aware that the succession plan for him to take over as HC down the road was out the window. Most folks assume that's their goal. Nobody has the stomach for that and even the few that woulda been ok with it awhile ago have to be jumping off that ship since then.

So the questions now are when and how will the BF divorce happen? Will he jump for another job somewhere else? I can't see KF ever out right firing him.

I remember when he was handed the reigns and that being the prevailing thought of many. It was as if BF couldn't do it then it's just not happening. Well it's been 5 yrs or so now since then and it's safe to say it's just not happening. Some of the 'New Kirk' things have been positives but they've been subtle tweaks here and there is all.

It's so frustrating because what OC out there has a 5 yr resume that BF has? There's no way anyone can have offenses ranked in the 100s of so many categories and keep their job for this long can there? Nepotism is a thing and there's reasons why it's frowned upon.

After BF was involved with the whole racial deal along with Doyle one would think they'd be well aware that the succession plan for him to take over as HC down the road was out the window. Most folks assume that's their goal. Nobody has the stomach for that and even the few that woulda been ok with it awhile ago have to be jumping off that ship since then.

So the questions now are when and how will the BF divorce happen? Will he jump for another job somewhere else? I can't see KF ever out right firing him.
Probably a move back to the NFL as an assistant, or head coach position at a North Dakota or Wyoming or Colorado State level. Could even be a small step up from that level.

The only other option I could imagine, which would keep him at Iowa, would be to bring in an OC from the NFL and keep BF on as O line or backfield coach.

Probably a move back to the NFL as an assistant, or head coach position at a North Dakota or Wyoming or Colorado State level. Could even be a small step up from that level.

The only other option I could imagine, which would keep him at Iowa, would be to bring in an OC from the NFL and keep BF on as O line or backfield coach.
Any OC brought in from anywhere would be hamstrung by Kurt.

The correct procedure would be to find Brain a good job as a HC at a G5 school or as an NFL assistant (neither will happen because of how much money he makes here), promote Woods to OC and let him just take one for the team for 4 years under Kurt, and then let him have the reigns when he etires.

Long story short, we are stuck with this offense until Kirk Farence leaves.

Any OC brought in from anywhere would be hamstrung by Kurt.

The correct procedure would be to find Brain a good job as a HC at a G5 school or as an NFL assistant (neither will happen because of how much money he makes here), promote Woods to OC and let him just take one for the team for 4 years under Kurt, and then let him have the reigns when he etires.

Long story short, we are stuck with this offense until Kirk Farence leaves.

Anyone, and I mean anyone, clamoring for a new OC needs to stop replaying revisionist history in their heads and think about Iowa football at the end of the O'Keefe regime and into the Davis regime. Vandenberg went from 25 TDs to 7 TDs in a year. Roughly the same number of attempts. Everyone wanted O'Keefe gone and Ferentz gave us fucking Davis. Jesus. I mean I try to give Ferentz the benefit of the doubt, but that shit was clearly done just to make us want to get rid of Davis so he could hire his kid.

No legit o-coordinator is going to want to go to Iowa. I understand guys want to move up, but let's say you are calling plays for App State or Coastal Carolina and Iowa comes calling. I get that they can dangle money, but you would have to be insane to even consider taking the Iowa job because it would be a fucking career ender.

Anyone, and I mean anyone, clamoring for a new OC needs to stop replaying revisionist history in their heads and think about Iowa football at the end of the O'Keefe regime and into the Davis regime. Vandenberg went from 25 TDs to 7 TDs in a year. Roughly the same number of attempts. Everyone wanted O'Keefe gone and Ferentz gave us fucking Davis. Jesus. I mean I try to give Ferentz the benefit of the doubt, but that shit was clearly done just to make us want to get rid of Davis so he could hire his kid.

No legit o-coordinator is going to want to go to Iowa. I understand guys want to move up, but let's say you are calling plays for App State or Coastal Carolina and Iowa comes calling. I get that they can dangle money, but you would have to be insane to even consider taking the Iowa job because it would be a fucking career ender.
LeVar Woods.

You've been out of state long enough that you prob don't know much about the guy, but he's the real deal.

To the fans who are

Why would he want to? He is way to old to be “starting over” or coaching the new style of offensive football. He has no one at all that can force him to change his style. Kirk knows he is untouchable. He is the HC, the AD and the President at Iowa. He will retire when he is ready. Until then we are stuck with this 1958 offense….
Actually, Evy's 1958 offense was light years ahead of this mess!

To the fans who are

Maybe cause his son is on the staff, maybe to do something better with the little remaining coaching time left? I dunno, stuck in a rut seems boring for many of us, possibly even Kirk??

Anyhow, as most have said, great article hits the spot Rob. I like the line about starving for a week then chowing down a fillet mignon, that was exactly what the 2nd half felt like, at least till the final 3 drives.

If I was Brian, maybe I'd think it would be time for a little internal reflection here. My offense sucks over and over. If I have no answers, time to move on. Can likely get an offensive line or tight ends coaching position somewhere if he wanted it. Pay cut but still making more than most all of us regular Joes.

To perform this badly on my dad's team, my alma mater, year after year would suck big time. Don't know that I would want to live like that myself.

Not disagreeing with anyone here (mostly because I stayed away from this thread because I knew it was going to be a bitch fest, but we win or at least send it to OT if:

1) They call the offside where the NT comes across and hits Linderbaum's helmet on 4th and 1 on the 5
2) Moss doesn't blow his coverage
3) We go for it on 4th and inches
4a) IKM doesn't get hit on his way through the line which means Petras can get rid of the ball a split second earlier on last INT
4b) If Richman gets his block on the INT, Petras has time to hit IKM for a catch and run.

Along with that, if Wisky beats Minny, we end up 11-2. Is there as much bitching? Does Rob even write the article? I agree that changes could be good, but I'd like to think we are tweaks away and now wholesale changes.

LeVar Woods.

You've been out of state long enough that you prob don't know much about the guy, but he's the real deal.
He checks about every box you can come up with. I think Kirk needs to put more on his plate ASAP and show some urgency in trying to retain him on staff. In addition to special teams, I'd name him either assistant offensive coordinator or associate head coach, and task him with finding ways to innovate the offense (even if he's forced to work within the parameters of Kirk's philosophy and the typical athletes they recruit). Woods has shown creativity and resourcefulness before - Kirk should give Woods control over additional elements of the program (particularly on the offensive side).