Howe: Same Old Story for Hawkeyes in Loss at Maryland

I agree - you don't have to be dirty, but tough-minded and not let layups happen. I don't see the bigs helping the guards enough when the opponent drives to the hoop.

It is part of the culture now. If I was Pemsl at the Y when he got elbowed in the head while setting a screen, there would have been an issue. Nowadays, fighting back or sending a message is not considered 'how the game is played'.

Look what happened to Cook - dude stood over him and Cook just tried to get up and was T'd up. He should have went at him and got his money's worth (it was his 5th foul anyway).

Ed Horton would have been less effective in today's game. :)

I'm not so sure Ed would be less effective. I think he sent a message the first time through the league and it paid dividends every time we laced them up. It also was clear that if you mess with a teammate, he's gonna be who you eventually deal with. We haven't had that guy in a long time. Cook could be...but someone needs to explain it to him.

To Rob's point above...we are so far out of position with our head turned the wrong way, we don't even come close to getting there to defend at the rim. Our zone has a ten foot by ten foot hole in the middle sometimes and I just shake my head...you can't defend the three that way by getting so extended that you are essentially giving up 15 foot 3 on 2 mismatches once the ball is entered to the free throw line. That's a loser hand and you are better off working on closeouts when the ball reverses to stop the three.

Latest posts