Howe: Same Old Story for Hawkeyes in Loss at Maryland

I still think one decent point guard makes everything better. Guys getting the ball in the right spot on offense, stopping or slowing down dribble-drive penetration would keep the bigs where they belong and stop the need to collapse every time on the driver. Fewer kick-outs to open shooters. There has to be one out there somewhere, either a late signee or grad student. Intermural try-outs? Student managers? Janitors solving physics problems?
Every team we play has one.

Caught the tail end of the game. The call on Cook was terrible as far as a blocking call ( the guy was moving and almost under the basketball) but the double T was comical. Even the announcers were making up some reason it was called, "something he said". Bull, the replay clearly shows Cook didn't say anything and was talking to the refs. He was the most surprised guy in the gym that it was a double T. Just one play but it's been the MO for too many games this year. Maybe it's Mac or our slower players, but the flat out number of bad calls is not "evening out". Do I think our win total would be different? Maybe by one or two games. Just my two cents worth.

He should be suspended for a tweet like that and maybe we would finally win a game. I’ve said it from the beginning of last year, he is a JUCO level guard and should not be starting.

Funny, but that tweet just shows how this team thinks. Poor me.

WIth the garbage BLATANT 100% calls in favor of Maryland tonight i can understand that, never watched a more one sided JOKE show by refs it was blatant and sad and one would hope the BIG would do something but i don't think they have the BALLS to do a dang thing1!

Like Rob wrote, the team simply quit playing defense the last several minutes of the game. Just lacked testicular fortitude during that time, allowing dunks and lay-ins and just not seeming to care for that portion of the game. Really indefensable.

I still think one decent point guard makes everything better. Guys getting the ball in the right spot on offense, stopping or slowing down dribble-drive penetration would keep the bigs where they belong and stop the need to collapse every time on the driver. Fewer kick-outs to open shooters. There has to be one out there somewhere, either a late signee or grad student. Intermural try-outs? Student managers? Janitors solving physics problems?
Every team we play has one.

we got torched in the 2nd half with Cowan cruising down the lane. that opens up all sorts of mismatches. we need at least one guard next season that has excellent foot speed and is laterally quick. mine the juco's. someone will need to move on early, but even with conner at pg, this won't be fixed next season without a new addition. i just hope cooks stays for his JR season. I have my doubts.

For once...just once...I'd like to see someone commit a hard foul that means something. Not to hurt anyone, but to send a message that their are no dunks when we are in the neighborhood. We play so soft sometimes it's mind boggling. Compete please...hell, we have 40 fouls for guys over 6'9"...use some of them.

We are the Kings of Touch Fouls...we must like seeing the AND1.

For once...just once...I'd like to see someone commit a hard foul that means something. Not to hurt anyone, but to send a message that their are no dunks when we are in the neighborhood. We play so soft sometimes it's mind boggling. Compete please...hell, we have 40 fouls for guys over 6'9"...use some of them.

Honestly, the defensive positioning is so poor at times that he's not even available for a hard foul. But, I get what you mean. It would be nice to see some toughness and physicality.

I agree - you don't have to be dirty, but tough-minded and not let layups happen. I don't see the bigs helping the guards enough when the opponent drives to the hoop.

It is part of the culture now. If I was Pemsl at the Y when he got elbowed in the head while setting a screen, there would have been an issue. Nowadays, fighting back or sending a message is not considered 'how the game is played'.

Look what happened to Cook - dude stood over him and Cook just tried to get up and was T'd up. He should have went at him and got his money's worth (it was his 5th foul anyway).

Ed Horton would have been less effective in today's game. :)

Latest posts