Howe: Regardless of Labels, Jordan Bohannon is Special

How ever you define him, Iowa's Jordan Bohannon is a special basketball player:

LINK

Jordan would be a nice addition to any high level basketball team where they used him correctly. The current set up exposes him to heavy criticism that just isn't deserved. Maybe that will be Iowa by late next year. Could you imagine how Bill Self would drool over someone who could nail a basket when needed or pass to the right player?

I had a conversation with a friend of mine on Saturday, he thinks the problem isn't JBo, it's not having a Jok next to him. I'm coming around on that. I think he'd be fine playing point if there is somebody else to help take the pressure off. He's not going to be Andre Woolridge and control the game completely on both sides. He can be a good PG though and IMO it's Fran's responsibility to put somebody next to him that can help him thrive.

Jordan has also been playing nearly all season with a rather painful foot injury yet giving his team 35+ min per game. I think the increased scoring of late has a correlation to the plantar fasciitis and hopefully it is getting better as I can see in photos he appears to have a bit more lift or separation from the floor on his jump shots compared to earlier in the season.

I had a conversation with a friend of mine on Saturday, he thinks the problem isn't JBo, it's not having a Jok next to him. I'm coming around on that. I think he'd be fine playing point if there is somebody else to help take the pressure off. He's not going to be Andre Woolridge and control the game completely on both sides. He can be a good PG though and IMO it's Fran's responsibility to put somebody next to him that can help him thrive.
I don't think it's a coincidence either that when Moss has had his good games JBo has played pretty well and efficient too. JBo should be getting 2 assists to him 2 or 3 to Cook and 3 or more assists to others every game. If others around him are playing well JBo can put up 15 pts plus easily and 7 plus assists. Just because of the volume of mins he's playing and how good he is. If he were to be able and rest 5-10 mins more a game I'm not sure how his production would be affected. I'm just glad he's able to hold up playing so much. Kid is a heck of a lot tougher than he's given credit for

He would be a lot "better" in the eyes of fans if the team wasn't below .500... And the team could play defense.

Jorbo's defensive shortcomings are exacerbated by the inability of Iowa's bigs to defend drives to the paint. It seems once a player gets past him (or Moss or any other guard for that matter) it's a free run to the rim. I watch other teams play and drivers will be turned away, blocked, or throw up a prayer half the time. Against the Hawks it's usually a layup.

A couple of thoughts_congrats to Rob on a well written story, congrats to JBO for all that he does, and now I know that Cordell P. has a great future talking about basketball. He is a very well spoken young guy that in this quick interview did not spout any of the usual cliches that players always use. He has been playing great, clearly plays smart, and speaks very well too. We are lucky to have these two home grown Iowa players on our team, current record notwithstanding.

Robowe beat me to it but it may be worth duplicating.

Jordan is a sub par defender, and likely will not be able to guard quick, elite point guards. At the defensive end, hard to argue that he should not be guarding the point. However....

When it's pretty consensus thought that we do not have elite players on the floor with him....the below can't be ignored.

The entire list of Division I players with 150+ assists and 80+ three-pointers as a freshman and as a sophomore over the last 25 years:

Jordan Bohannon

That's the list.

Take for what it's worth, but it's a provocative stat.

Latest posts