Howe: Ranking Top 5 Positional Concerns for Iowa in ’16

Anyone else having troubles with loading front page stories? It loads fine then the screen goes blank a few seconds later.

Decent synopsis, Rob.

I'm not as worried about kicker. While Koehn hit the big one to beat Pitt, he missed plenty of extra points for a Sr. Luckily none of them cost IOWA a "W" but several could have. His leg on kickoffs will be missed more. Hopefully the competition at K (among perhaps 3 guys) will bring the cream to the top.

WR will always be a concern under KFz until he changes his offensive approach. Star WRs don't choose a school to develop their blocking skills. And conservative offense, doesn't help them blossom.

Center is more important that many realize, but I think tutoring under Blythe and having CJ as your QB will help Daniels quite a bit.

Decent synopsis, Rob.

I'm not as worried about kicker. While Koehn hit the big one to beat Pitt, he missed plenty of extra points for a Sr. Luckily none of them cost IOWA a "W" but several could have. His leg on kickoffs will be missed more. Hopefully the competition at K (among perhaps 3 guys) will bring the cream to the top.

WR will always be a concern under KFz until he changes his offensive approach. Star WRs don't choose a school to develop their blocking skills. And conservative offense, doesn't help them blossom.

Center is more important that many realize, but I think tutoring under Blythe and having CJ as your QB will help Daniels quite a bit.
I agree with you. I lean towards WRs as there will be many green kids coming in asked to make big plays and we just don't have a clue what we have. We saw J Smith make a handful of plays and that's a great start. But we'll have like 4 other new guys fighting for reps it'll just be interesting how that sorts itself out. I also worry about DE with or without Ott... Who knows how good he'll be at the start of the year if he's even able to come back. And replacing both he and Meir won't be so easy. I think we really missed having Otts pass rush down the stretch. We sure wouldn't have beaten Wisconsin without him. So an upgrade there will be necessary for the D to build upon last year.

Good stuff, Rob, thanks. The receiver group is the biggest mystery to me. We have spent a lot of coin recruiting this position over the past couple of years and we will see next year how much that emphasis has paid off. The good news is that we have a couple of proven guys coming back.

I think it is really strange that we have trouble landing big time receivers. Other schools that are not "spread" oriented seem to get some really good ones. I would speculate that Iowa makes it clear that they will have to block, a skill many of them have never developed in high school. Also, it simply is not as dramatic as catching TD passes. The irony is that if they ever want to see the NFL they will have to be the kind of blocker Iowa develops. Those recruits need to figure that one out.

Kicker replacement, punts, field goals, kickoffs, and I guess, extra points, are a big deal. Pass rush is also a worry. But, I think this is going to be a very solid team. Good shot at the BT West and beyond.

Ced Lattimore needs to come in ready to play or at least be in a rotation with Nelson and Hesse.

I have high hopes for Ogwo and Rugumba at WR.

I think it is really strange that we have trouble landing big time receivers.

Its cuz Ferrets, game passed him buy, too old and cant relate to hip young players like DJK

trollface453.jpg

Personnel wise, I have no concerns. My concern is whether this senior class will provide the leadership that we saw last year. It's their team now. What are they going to do with it. How good of a season they will have starts this week with the leaders establishing the right attitude and work ethic from the get go when lifting starts. Seniors like CJ, Vandy, Kittle, King, Maybin, Johnson, etc... need to build off the culture that was started last year. A step forward in it, this team does special things. A step back (any contentment) and this is a average year.

P.S. One of the leaders needs to get Nelson to play with the attitude of a Roth or a Diesel. At 6'8, 280 he is a freak of a DE and if someone can find his button, watch out! Would love to see him play with that kind of attitude!

Latest posts