Howe: Ranking the Top Linebackers of the Kirk Ferentz Era

Would have loved to see where Matt would have finished on that list if he would have gotten to play middle linebacker instead of defensive end at Iowa. Don’t even need to say his last name you all know who I am talking about.

Can't really nit pick this much. If I were to try it would be maybe putting Hitchens and Morris a little higher. Outside that I loved me some Jewel and Hodge. Those guys were just always where the play was it seemed like.

I think you nailed it Rob. Angerer is still my favorite because he was such a different cat and a true quote machine.

Tough list to compile.

I think a lot depends upon how you prioritize the qualities you look for in a LB, and whether you're looking at career stats or how good the final product was. Personally, I think Greenway is #1 because he was the complete package. Amazing athlete for his size. His game simply had no weaknesses at all.

Jewell, Hodge, Barr and Angerer were thumpers but all four could get isolated and taken advantage of in space. Hodge especially struggled with coverage, which is why he washed out so quickly at the next level.

I'd probably rank Hitchens just behind Kirksey, and slide Hodge to behind Hitchens. Hitch didn't have a string of great seasons, but he grew into the position and left Iowa as a very talented LB.

Pretty good, not sure that I could put Hodge in front of Greenway, probably would not have put Morris in the Top 10.
Interesting. I have no problem with either of those things and if anything I'd have maybe put Morris a little higher. Morris played/started pretty much 4 years and did pretty darn well. Some of our good players on that list have less than 2 yrs of starting PT. Granted circumstances such as the roster depth chart and injuries play into that. I just enjoy how folks can look at things and yet see something totally different.

I'd have Hunter on the list instead of Niemann, but pretty good list. Glad to see Hodge and Barr get the credit they deserve. Klinkenborg did a really good job at MLB when he started also, shame that injuries cut his last year short, or he may he deserved this list as well.

If I'm looking at guys I just wouldn't want any part of having to block all day, Greenway would be at the top of my list. Crazy athletic, size, smart, and he liked to dominate you. He was just relentless. Angerer was one of my favorites, and a great linebacker in his own right...like Jewell, but damn...Greenway was a special combination of talents.

Even though Angerer only played 2 seasons, they were two of the more dominant seasons an Iowa middle linebacker has ever had, so I don't think you can punish him for that. Also, he's far and away the best cover MLB ever under Ferentz.

My Top 5 would be:

1. Jewell
2. Greenway
3. Angerer
4. Hodge
5. Barr

I moved guys around quite a bit before coming up with my final rankings.

The hardest to rank are the LEOs. They don't get the big stats that the other two positions rack up but it's equally as important and allows for the other two spots to do their thing.

Man, lots of great LBs on that list. I did get a chuckle out of one of the "honorable mentions".

Only one of them? The last 3 on his honorable mentions list I wouldn't exactly jump up and down about... Mostly Alston I thought he wasn't that great of a MLB the other two weren't terrible by any means just hard to rank them above many others...

What’s super crazy is that every single one of these guys except Fred Barr signed a pro contract, and even though he’s on the top half of the list he’s slingin’ rootbeer floats and taquitos at the Cheescake Factory.

The hardest to rank are the LEOs. They don't get the big stats that the other two positions rack up but it's equally as important and allows for the other two spots to do their thing.

Looking ahead, what position group do you think will be toughest to rank?

Looking ahead, what position group do you think will be toughest to rank?

Off the top of my head, probably offensive line.

I think the majority will be difficult. I look forward to doing it after the season. It will be interesting to see how much Fant and Stanley move up at their respective positions.

Tough list to make for sure. I think you definitely have a bracket, say x, y and z are probably top three then the next bracket. But it's pretty tough to say what order they fall in.
Good write up though.
It's going to be a fun position to watch going forward as well.

Only one of them? The last 3 on his honorable mentions list I wouldn't exactly jump up and down about... Mostly Alston I thought he wasn't that great of a MLB the other two weren't terrible by any means just hard to rank them above many others...

Alston did earn second team all-B10 though from coaches. His biggest problem (more exactly bad timing) was having freshman in Bower, Spearman, and Jewell (who missed half the year) on his outside and you can't cover for everyone's mistakes. If Senior level Alston plays the year before with veteran guys like Kirksey and Hitchens around him instead, totally different story and he probably has 130 tackles, and first team all league. Timing is everything sometimes.

Alston did earn second team all-B10 though from coaches. His biggest problem (more exactly bad timing) was having freshman in Bower, Spearman, and Jewell (who missed half the year) on his outside and you can't cover for everyone's mistakes. If Senior level Alston plays the year before with veteran guys like Kirksey and Hitchens around him instead, totally different story and he probably has 130 tackles, and first team all league. Timing is everything sometimes.
It also says a lot about our LB play if guys like Alston, Hunter, and a host of other dependable guys are "only" honorable mentions on this list.

When lists like this come out, I tend to think they are of poor quality, but this one was pretty damn good. It's good to see Abdul Hodge get the respect he deserved. He get overshadowed by the more popular player in Greenway, but he was every bit his equal at the college level. I'd have a hard time ranking one ahead of the other and pretty much think of them as a tandem as opposed to individuals.

Latest posts