Howe: Not Easy Picking Starting Five for Iowa Basketball

Haven't had a chance to read the article yet, but Fran obviously has several options. The way I envision it, the variability will be at the one and the four.

My gut says that, if healthy, there's no way he won't start Bohannon. That means that JoeT will be coming off the bench. Total playing time will be dictated on a game-by-game basis and who is impacting the game in the moment.

CJF, Wieskamp and Luka will start. Connor and Nunge will share the four, and, like with JBo and JoeT, minutes will vary depending upon impact and the opponent.

Offensively the kid has ice in his veins and is a tremendous shooter but on the defensive end he is a liability. He is a 2 playing the 1 and creates defensive problems that his offense doesn't offset.
He *was a defensive liability with two bad hips and plantar fasciitis. Is it fair to assume those injuries didnt affect his defensive abilities at all? I dont think so. Hopefully we get a chance to find out.

I expect Connor to be in at most if not all crunch times. He's an X factor in tight games. He'll make the extra little hustle or smart basketball play when the games close and is on the line. Plus, he's a light out FT shooter, the strongest ball handler we have and again, his intangibles make him a candidate that IMO, won't leave the court much in tight games.

I expect Connor to be in at most if not all crunch times. He's an X factor in tight games. He'll make the extra little hustle or smart basketball play when the games close and is on the line. Plus, he's a light out FT shooter, the strongest ball handler we have and again, his intangibles make him a candidate that IMO, won't leave the court much in tight games.
I suspect he'll be #2 in mins played behind Luka this yr... Regardless of if he's starting or not. Because yes he will for sure be in the games down the stretch and in crunch time. Literally the only thing to really nit pick in his game is hitting the open jumpers. If he and JT start hitting those teams have to just pick their poison against us.

I suspect he'll be #2 in mins played behind Luka this yr... Regardless of if he's starting or not. Because yes he will for sure be in the games down the stretch and in crunch time. Literally the only thing to really nit pick in his game is hitting the open jumpers. If he and JT start hitting those teams have to just pick their poison against us.

Yeah #2 on minutes would be a pretty good guess IMO.

I think he shot way too much last season, most of the times out of necessity especially when we went thru the stretch of losing both Jordan and CJ. During that time he ended up with the ball in his hands at the end of a lot of shot clocks too.... so, I think he'll shoot better and less volume this season. He doesn't need to score because he brings so many other things to the team imo. His attitude/swagger and toughness are pretty high on those lists of things

As good as I expect JT to be this year he may be the odd man out in crunch time, which isn't any fault of his own. He already proved he is worthy to be out there, but will have to wait his turn. Great thing about him though, he is man enough to handle it. He is going to end up on the all-time favorite Hawkeyes list.

JBO, CJF, CM, JW, & LG will be the ones on the floor when the horn blows in tight games. Who would you possibly replace?

The starting 5 remains more open for debate IMO. Swapping JBO and CM out of the starting 5 has it's arguments. It's bound to be a fluid situation during first part of season to see who handles what role best.

Yeah but what about his shooting form?? (too early to get this one going again? ;))

Yeah #2 on minutes would be a pretty good guess IMO.

I think he shot way too much last season, most of the times out of necessity especially when we went thru the stretch of losing both Jordan and CJ. During that time he ended up with the ball in his hands at the end of a lot of shot clocks too.... so, I think he'll shoot better and less volume this season. He doesn't need to score because he brings so many other things to the team imo. His attitude/swagger and toughness are pretty high on those lists of things
Yeah he did have a lot of those end of the shot clock desperation type of plays too. With all the offensive weapons we have he shouldn't have to have a high volume of shots. If other teams try laying off him like Nebraska did he needs to make them pay for it. If teams have to play him honest that just opens up things for Garza and everyone else. I love everything about the kid. I'm not sure I've seen a kid that epitimizes what being a coaches kid is all about.

I listened to the Dan Dakitch, Seth Davis pod cast on espn yesterday (only because he had Fran on) and I highly encourage everyone to check it out. They spoke quite awhile and Fran was as informal and candid as I've ever heard him. Touched on a lot of things.

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/podcast/archive?id=2689788

Latest posts