Howe: Iowa Needs to Pick Up Pace in NIL Race

IDK if anybody else saw but the RB for Texas signed a NIL deal with Lamborghini. I believe he got a Lamborghini in the process. Crazy times for sure.

Rob, you have mentioned that Iowa could be making a big mistake and getting way behind in the game by not fast-tracking the NIL Collective deal, which I generally agree with.

To play Devil's advocate, what are the risks, if any, of moving forward quickly WITH A BAD PLAN? Could having an immediate, poorly structured collective be worse than a well-structured one in a month's time? Impossible to foresee at this point, but what might be an example of mistake or flaw in structure that could reveal itself down the road?

I feel so lost in this new world, I am not even sure what to ask or what the potential risks are.

You have to be in the game and adjust if needed, IMO. It's so fluid right now, though, that what we think might be good today may not be tomorrow.

Iowa State doesn't have an active collective yet. But it did go public with a plan (which it can adjust) to show current and prospective student-athletes it was coming. Iowa has done very little in that regard and it definitely impacted the loss of the two big men basketball transfers who chose other schools.

Do you have to proceed with caution? Yes. But you have to proceed.

What might a kid like Kadyn Proctor be thinking right now?

You have to be in the game and adjust if needed, IMO. It's so fluid right now, though, that what we think might be good today may not be tomorrow.

Iowa State doesn't have an active collective yet. But it did go public with a plan (which it can adjust) to show current and prospective student-athletes it was coming. Iowa has done very little in that regard and it definitely impacted the loss of the two big men basketball transfers who chose other schools.

Do you have to proceed with caution? Yes. But you have to proceed.

What might a kid like Kadyn Proctor be thinking right now?

Do you know how much these collectives are targeting existing athletes vs. potential recruits?

Remember when Sam Bradford was the last guy to sign a rookie deal before the wage scale and he got like 80 million with 50 guaranteed. For a rookie. Who turned out to suck.

Now the number 1 pick got like 25 million guaranteed and 40 total.

Kadyn Proctor legitimately might get a million dollars from someone. But, it is at least possible that Congress could give the conferences/NCAA some latitude to regulate NIL (maybe a straight up antitrust exemption or a limited one to regulate fair market value of said contracts). Maybe not, but it is possible that there will be a small window of a year or two with no rules where these kids make circus money and then it turns more reasonable.

Grab your popcorn.

Well, there is a ”rule” out there that states that NIL cannot be used as a recruiting tool. I am sure that will be strictly enforced, I said sarcastically.

Well, there is a ”rule” out there that states that NIL cannot be used as a recruiting tool. I am sure that will be strictly enforced, I said sarcastically.

I heard a sports reporter somewhere mentioning a lot of the conference and NCAA people are now or will be meeting to look at these collectives and other rules because they know they opened Pandora's box and what came out is like all the nasty spirits from the Ark at the end of Indiana Jones #1.

The last thing the top people want to do is lose control of the situation as the next thing will be is 30-40 schools saying "hey, we can just to this ourselves and form our own leagues and we like this buying athletes stuff". The NCAA and league offices need to put some big time limits and rules on this crap.