Howe: Iowa Lets Golden Opportunity Slip Away as B1G Title Drought Continues

There's unrest in Hawkeye Nation:

LINK
I hear you Rob. My six, four, and one year olds from 2004 are now 20, 18, and 15. Two are now out of high school.

This team for a Ferentz coached team has committed a lot of turnovers, penalties, mental mistakes, and come up short in the critical "hidden yardage" category that is so critical for Kirk's formula to work.

When the gunner let that third quarter punt leak into end zone, Kirk was caught muttering a phrase that begins with "m" and ends with "r". And rest assured he wasn't saying "Mary get me a beer."

I saw that.

There’s definitely pressure there. He wants his son to follow him. They need to be better for that to happen, at least that should be the case.

I don't know what everyone else thinks, but this team just seams to be missing a true vocal leader on both sides of the ball.

I think it has leadership from the players. Hesse and Gervase are really good in that regard. Render and Brady Ross do a good job with the offense. There are others.

I saw that.

There’s definitely pressure there. He wants his son to follow him. They need to be better for that to happen, at least that should be the case.
For a program that made its mark on not hurting itself, that seems to not be the case any longer. Lack of focus/awareness/discipline/attention to detail seem to exist, particularly at critical junctures. It was evident in all 4 losses, and each loss had a different manifestation of the above. It's almost as if the coaches need to remind them of the basics before they go out on the field. Maybe they shouldn't have to, but perhaps they need to. Grasping at straws.

I think it has leadership from the players. Hesse and Gervase are really good in that regard. Render and Brady Ross do a good job with the offense. There are others.
Ross is a tremendously underrated player and a huge blow to the running game when he's missed time.

If there's pressure to set the stage for Brian to take over that would seem to indicate that Kirk wants to step down soon. Note I said pressure, not dissention. John Feinstein wrote a great book about, ironically, the Baltimore Ravens (where Kirk once coached) and their 2004 season called "Next Man Up." John wanted a look inside the blanket of secrecy that is the NFL, from discussions and trades in the draft room in April to exit interviews after three coaches were shown the door at the end of the season. In a spectacular bit of serendipity he got side stories on the return of Deion Sanders and the botching of the Terrell Owens free agent signing. Mostly, he got an up close look at the dissention between coaches that caused the team to underachieve at 9-7 and miss the playoffs. It got so bad at one point that defensive coordinator Mike Nolan stormed into offensive coordinator Matt Cavanaugh's box in the middle of a game screaming for fewer passing plays.

For a program that made its mark on not hurting itself, that seems to not be the case any longer. Lack of focus/awareness/discipline/attention to detail seem to exist, particularly at critical junctures. It was evident in all 4 losses, and each loss had a different manifestation of the above. It's almost as if the coaches need to remind them of the basics before they go out on the field. Maybe they shouldn't have to, but perhaps they need to. Grasping at straws.

Grasping at straws? I think not. I think you hit the nail with a sledgehammer here. Just down the road Dan Gable won a crapload of titles by making sure his guys were better at the basics and fundamentals than anyone else. This year’s version of Hawkeye football has failed in that regaurd - and in the losses that has been evident. This is a team full of talent, but when the fundamentals and basic break down that can only carry you so far.

And while there are some young players maybe playing before they're developed, there are veterans not playing fundamentally well. That's puzzling at a self-proclaimed developmental program. Perhaps the turbulence experienced this season will pay off in '19. That has to be the hope.

Agree with everything in write up with the exception of "These players are working hard and trying." I think this is true for the most part, but I do think the team gave up in the Northwestern game. Not sure I saw a full team working hard out there for that one.

Agree with everything in write up with the exception of "These players are working hard and trying." I think this is true for the most part, but I do think the team gave up in the Northwestern game. Not sure I saw a full team working hard out there for that one.

I didn't sense them giving up against NW but it's open for interpretation when you lose in ugly fashion. The game was just brutal.

I think it best to have the QB as a leader on the field who leads through action. Somebody with balls, chutzpah and moxy.

When you have an average OLineman as a leader you end up with a vanilla oat meal product. Which is what we have.

This is Iowa, this is 7-5, this is ok, this is Iowa. Nobody should expect more

While Stanley was throwing in the flat time after time for no gain, was TV showing the wide open receivers 15-20 yards down field that you could see if you were in Kinnick?

I agree with the previous post that they gave up, this team is showing no heart and no mental toughness. Starting to look like one of Fran's b-ball teams.

After a two year sample of losing (and losing in ugly and/or wth ways) it’s clear the program has not only not caught Wisconsin, it has fallen behind NW and Purdue.

4th best program in the Big10 West just doesn’t cut it.

Next season it better be West division title or retirement/staff cleanout.

And while there are some young players maybe playing before they're developed, there are veterans not playing fundamentally well. That's puzzling at a self-proclaimed developmental program. Perhaps the turbulence experienced this season will pay off in '19. That has to be the hope.

Is there any grade for the O line? Does PFF grade them out? Just wondering what something like that reflects for our line. especially run blocking. I can't tell if it is the RBs or the blocking or just scheme overall.

I think it best to have the QB as a leader on the field who leads through action. Somebody with balls, chutzpah and moxy.

When you have an average OLineman as a leader you end up with a vanilla oat meal product. Which is what we have.

This is Iowa, this is 7-5, this is ok, this is Iowa. Nobody should expect more

Iowa has had fiery leaders at QB and still underachieved. Drew Tate in 05 and 06, Stanzi in '10 and CJB in '16.

Latest posts