Howe: Iowa Football OWI Punishment Must Be More Strict

Very disappointing news, all around. 1 could see anywhere between 1-3 games. I would also guess plenty of workout punishment and likely some community service. This will all be on top of whatever legal consequences there may be.

Tough deal. Hopefully it works out.
I’m going to say he’ll get 2 games and daddy ‘Rentz will make him do a repentant speech in front of everyone in the locker room. It will keep the monkeys off his back by being a stiffer punishment than what Reiff got, and it’ll give Wirfs a game to warm up for Wisconsin.

Shortly before becoming academically ineligible (and never playing for the Hawks again, Ray Thompson was cited for public intox and interference with official acts the night before the Iowa State game. (Famous quote; "Dont you know who I am?") Davis, who probably had some idea of his inevitable fate, disciplined him but Thompson didn't miss any playing time. Johnny Orr was agahst, and publicly criticized Davis, saying that he would have dismissed Thompson from the team had Ray been a Cyclone. Orr was undoubtedly even more furious when the game was played and Thompson lit him up for over thirty points in a close win at Hilton. That was the game where Terry Woods scored over Troy Skinner, immediately stole the ball from him and scored again, then barked in Skinner's face while James Moses took a turn bringing the ball up the court. Iowa got the last laugh, and got another one a year later at Carver when Rodell Davis continued what would be a wild season of last second heroics by tipping in an offensive rebound at the buzzer for the game winner.

Hawkeyes have some inequities in penalties fitting the crimes:

LINK

I don't disagree with your general argument. But what type of difficulties might arise from handing down a 3-game suspension to Wirfs when you have another player on the team (Snyder) who received a one-game suspension for the same infraction just months ago? You can't really retroactively add more games to Snyder's suspension.

I also agree with @BryceC that things ideally would be considered on a case-by-case basis, but that sure leaves the coach open to lots of outside criticism considering many of the important considerations will be known internally but not externally.

I don't see anybody "justifying" drunk driving, though it was inevitable somebody was gonna claim that. Nor do I see anybody claiming they do it, so it's OK. Where do you get this crap?

Just getting ahead of the curve. There is bound to be some one with a drinking problem coming on here making excuses as to why their just young and out having some fun and who hasn’t had one to many. It’s not like it hasn’t happened on here before. Your right so far no one has said that. This subject hits very close to home as I lost someone I was extremely close to that was killed by a drunk driver.

I don't disagree with your general argument. But what type of difficulties might arise from handing down a 3-game suspension to Wirfs when you have another player on the team (Snyder) who received a one-game suspension for the same infraction just months ago? You can't really retroactively add more games to Snyder's suspension.

I also agree with @BryceC that things ideally would be considered on a case-by-case basis, but that sure leaves the coach open to lots of outside criticism considering many of the important considerations will be known internally but not externally.

Agree. Giving Wirfs a harsher penalty than Snyder without warning probably isn’t the way to go. I would make it clear that going forward the punishment is being increased.

Agree. Giving Wirfs a harsher penalty than Snyder without warning probably isn’t the way to go. I would make it clear that going forward the punishment is being increased.
What if he already had? We don't know what's been told to the team since what Snyder did do we? Or even since Reiff the week before. Maybe he'd already thrown down the gauntlet and said enough is enough and threatened more. I doubt it but maybe...

What if he already had? We don't know what's been told to the team since what Snyder did do we? Or even since Reiff the week before. Maybe he'd already thrown down the gauntlet and said enough is enough and threatened more. I doubt it but maybe...

That’s a good point. We’ll find out soon, I would suspect.

I cant tell you anything about the Iowa City Police targeting athletes or minorities. But I can tell you about how the police target all students from Valdosta St. where Seth Wallace was a coach. There is a small city within Valdosta called Remerton. This is where all the college students go to party at a small strip of bars. Soon after all the freshmen arrive, and on the very first weekend when the get their first chance to party, the cops set up roadblocks at all the choke points in and out of that small section of town. If anyone underage is found to be intoxicated or just holding a plastic cup, they are arrested. I personally witnessed hundreds being arrested in a single night. Sometimes the cops there get very physically abusive to them. Ive seen it cost several young people their college education for just one minor error in judgment. Fortunately, if you get caught DWI in Remerton, as long as you pay a hefty fine, it wont appear on your driving record. City of Valdosta is a different story. Now Im not condoning drinking and driving, but sometimes the cops can get out of hand. Georgia cops have been known to be a little heavy-handed at times. If anyone out there knows Seth Wallace, just ask him about Remerton.

Latest posts