Howe: Iowa Football Must Address Former Players Speaking Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kinda figured this day would come. KF has a way he wants his players to act, I don't see anything wrong with it as long as this is presented up front. I've seen people say he wants them to act "white", which kinda bothers me, what is the "black" way that is so different? Young men being taught to be respectable adults is "white"? To me just saying that sounds racists. I've seen so many former players come out and say how great KF is, now they turn on him? The tattoos and wearing corn rows bothers me, people should be able to express themselves how they want. Getting on someone for not tying their shoes, that seems reasonable regardless of the skin color.

If the things that Doyle has said and done are true then he should be fired at once. I'm a little angry that it took THIS long and it had to take a death of a black man for this to come out. This is going to be a tough one for Iowa to weather out, this could have a devastating impact on the sports programs.

Let me add this, the way the Iowa City Police treats people is not getting enough press. It's a shame what I've seen them do to peaceful protesters.
I think different races having unique cultures is something that should be cherished. It shouldn't be taboo to recognize.

Racism is racism. Making a player reach into a trash can to pull out a water bottle is not "discipline" iti s oppression. The kid said player puke into those and bleed and spit.

This is not a "discipline" issue. This is a culture issue. The program promotes players to act in a certain way. And that way seems to be the white way. Black players felt they were marginalized by the culture of the program. Just like black people feel marginalized by this country.

It seems to me that the Iowa football program is a reflection of our society. Black players have to mute who they are to conform to what white people want them to be. White players are celebrated for their ability to function within the culture of the program.

Do not lessen what this is. This is our society at a microscopic level. Iowa football is the United States.

Akrum Wadley tweeted that one day when it was cold outside he wore a Nike face mask. When he was leaving practice he said someone asked him if he was going to rob a bank or liquor store.

He did't say who asked him that, but that is not good!

Because he’s wearing a mask? What are you
Geno just tweeted out the same stuff everyone else was saying. He might not think Parker specifically is to blame but he’s not saying none of this is true.
okay and I bet that gets retweeted!

Racism is racism. Making a player reach into a trash can to pull out a water bottle is not "discipline" iti s oppression. The kid said player puke into those and bleed and spit.

This is not a "discipline" issue. This is a culture issue. The program promotes players to act in a certain way. And that way seems to be the white way. Black players felt they were marginalized by the culture of the program. Just like black people feel marginalized by this country.

It seems to me that the Iowa football program is a reflection of our society. Black players have to mute who they are to conform to what white people want them to be. White players are celebrated for their ability to function within the culture of the program.

Do not lessen what this is. This is our society at a microscopic level. Iowa football is the United States.
I didn’t know the white players were allowed on twitter and the black players weren’t. This is a stretch.

This is kind of turning into what Penn State went through....two head coaches who had assistants that were doing bad things and the head coaches knew about it, but didn't seem to do anything about it. I have heard that Kirk has been working on this issue since 2017, but what has he done? it's been three years now and he should have fired Doyle. Now it's blowing up in his face.

I didn’t know the white players were allowed on twitter and the black players weren’t. This is a stretch.

I didnt say anything about twitter. If you were referring to my mute statement. I was talking about muting their culture and personality.

I didnt say anything about twitter. If you were referring to my mute statement. I was talking about muting their culture and personality.
Oh you are saying because they are black there’s a rule stating no speech for black people inside the Iowa program. With all this insight you must be on the inside yeah?

Oh you are saying because they are black there’s a rule stating no speech for black people inside the Iowa program. With all this insight you must be on the inside yeah?

Im inferring from players. They said they had no voice. If they did they were punished. Follow the twitter feeds. I have watched this and it is pretty obvious.

And from a second hand source who has friends that played or are playing, which take from it what you want. Believe me or not, I dont care, there is a huge problem in the program. And KF will suffer. As in fired. I hope rob howe investigates.

As someone referenced PsU. This is bigger than we think.

This is kind of turning into what Penn State went through....two head coaches who had assistants that were doing bad things and the head coaches knew about it, but didn't seem to do anything about it. I have heard that Kirk has been working on this issue since 2017, but what has he done? it's been three years now and he should have fired Doyle. Now it's blowing up in his face.

I'm sorry...but Doyle wasn't raping kids. Please don't compare this to Penn State. It's not appropriate.

None of this is good...but you can change it. Does KF care about his players...yes. Do changes need to be made...yes. I'm going to say, I also think there are some people taking shots because they can...most likely transferred players. Hooker, Daniels, etc were leaders. They didn't feel they could sit down with KF to help change this? That's an issue. What do these leadership groups talk about?

They need some player only meetings.

Im inferring from players. They said they had no voice. If they did they were punished. Follow the twitter feeds. I have watched this and it is pretty obvious.

And from a second hand source who has friends that played or are playing, which take from it what you want. Believe me or not, I dont care, there is a huge problem in the program. And KF will suffer. As in fired. I hope rob howe investigates.

As someone referenced PsU. This is bigger than we think.
You lost me at Penn state. What they did was rape kids and cover it up. KF isn’t covering anything up. Again, go look at Kevin awards tweet about how in 2017 KF had black players speak their minds and have a meeting about it with the whole team. KF isn’t getting fired.

So people standing up to injustice is always a money grab?
why is his mommy writing this book is my issue? She was never a student at Iowa, she didn't play football, wasn't at the practices, weight room lift sessions, team meetings ect...I don't think she has any business writing a book on this. It should be her son, an I'm sure she will go off what her son tells her.

why is his mommy writing this book is my issue? She was never a student at Iowa, she didn't play football, wasn't at the practices, weight room lift sessions, team meetings ect...I don't think she has any business writing a book on this. It should be her son, an I'm sure she will go off what her son tells her.

She interviewed former players and their parents.

Some things really jumped out at me on twitter. Doyle has a lot of preconceived notions on young black men and poor interracial communication skills, as does our apparent future leader Brian. DJ Johnson apparently has a Paul Bunyon size ax to grind against the Iowa staff. Most players who contributed to the program said the staff is capable of changing. My personal belief is, it's the state of Iowa's culture that is the problem for most young black men that come from out-of-state. Kirk is all about personal responsibility, this will probable not change, and should it? In this day and age, can Kirk not ask where a player with limited financial means suddenly has a car? Kirk most likely knew where the other player got his from. Keep in mind, boosters can significantly ruin a sports program. From what I read no one is getting fired. Cultural sensitivity, bringing former black players back in significant roles on the Iowa staff instead of just recruiting, and possible having one of the major assistants be black would help. Now might be a good time for Brian to take one of those many, many, offers he has out there and get out from his dad's shadow. As many on this board has stated, someone might have to be sacrificed. I doubt Kirk will be the man to do this, I would imagine he would quit first. And the biggest irony of the University is reading Barta's press release. Barta, formerly the loser of a sexual harassment discrimination lawsuit, talking about zero tolerance to racial discrimination and accountability. Way to pick your battles big guy.

She interviewed former players and their parents.
My son and I met Wadley’s mom at the 2016 spring game. Sat behind her and had some conversation, she’s extremely well-spoken and does not come off at all as the type of person who would be making a money grab. My son said he wanted Akrum’s autograph and she told him if he didn’t get it to let her know and she’d make sure he came back. She seemed to be very much a fan of the program, although I’m sure there was questionable stuff going on behind the scenes. Whether she knew it at that point or not I don’t know.

The woman has a masters in educational leadership, and according to more than one article I’ve read she held Akrum out of practices and games youth and high school ball if he didn’t meet her academic standards, even against the pleading of coaches. By no means am I implying that having a graduate degree determines integrity or lack thereof, but she is educated in social sciences and by all accounts seems to be an intelligent person with high moral standards and someone who has her son’s best interests in mind. In my 1/2 hour of polite conversation with her she in no way came across as someone who would stoop to writing a book of dirty lies to make some money.

Some things really jumped out at me on twitter. Doyle has a lot of preconceived notions on young black men and poor interracial communication skills, as does our apparent future leader Brian. DJ Johnson apparently has a Paul Bunyon size ax to grind against the Iowa staff. Most players who contributed to the program said the staff is capable of changing. My personal belief is, it's the state of Iowa's culture that is the problem for most young black men that come from out-of-state. Kirk is all about personal responsibility, this will probable not change, and should it? In this day and age, can Kirk not ask where a player with limited financial means suddenly has a car? Kirk most likely knew where the other player got his from. Keep in mind, boosters can significantly ruin a sports program. From what I read no one is getting fired. Cultural sensitivity, bringing former black players back in significant roles on the Iowa staff instead of just recruiting, and possible having one of the major assistants be black would help. Now might be a good time for Brian to take one of those many, many, offers he has out there and get out from his dad's shadow. As many on this board has stated, someone might have to be sacrificed. I doubt Kirk will be the man to do this, I would imagine he would quit first. And the biggest irony of the University is reading Barta's press release. Barta, formerly the loser of a sexual harassment lawsuit, talking about zero tolerance to racial discrimination and accountability. Way to pick your battles big guy.
I could see it going this way...

Doyle’s obviously getting fired.

Brian moves off to another job somewhere after taking lots of lumps, going to be tough to get another P5 if he leaves.

Kirk finishes the year and retires.

Barta retires at the same time.

I could see it going this way...

Doyle’s obviously getting fired.

Brian moves off to another job somewhere after taking lots of lumps, going to be tough to get another P5 if he leaves.

Kirk finishes the year and retires.

Barta retires at the same time.
I think a lot depends on how much the national media picks up on this story and if it's happening to programs across the country. Think of the "Me to" movement, a lot of good men will probable burn along with the bad. Kirk must still care about his job as he is being pro-active. Has anyone been checking on other programs like nebby, wisky, and Minny to see if revelations are coming out on them. I predict a lot of former players coming to Kirk's defense, talk earlier on this board about Bob Sanders being brought aboard the Iowa ship. Things like this need to happen.

I'm not defending Doyle here at all. If he truly has demonstrated overt bias and made numerous racially charged statements, then he needs to go. Period.

However, I think we all need to take a collective breath and also realize that right now many things are flying across the Twitterverse that, at the very least, should be considered emotionally charged. That's not to imply that the statements aren't true, but it is important that we keep everything within the context of the current social unrest.

Like anyone else, Doyle deserves due process before we summarily convict him and dismantle his life. Sadly, though, it seems that perception has now trumped reality when it comes to accusations, so it wouldn't surprise me one iota if he is let go in an attempt to salvage the perception of the program, regardless of the veracity of the claims.

It appears that lines of extremism have been drawn at the expense of rational thought and objective analysis. That is the new reality.

That line from Amani about playing time being attached to behavior caught my eye. I mean depending how he means that that's a terrible thing to have out there. I find that tough to imagine though I mean Iowa Football, D1 football is so big that coaches can't be playing the 2nd best kids over kids not conforming to the 'culture' so much can they? Maybe I dunno I've never been in there.

How soon will Doyle be heard from? KF can't just shelter him from all this can he? I mean no later then Monday he should be front and center. I would almost hope he resigns. This is some seriously bad unacceptable stuff being said. I don't think there's much reason to feel it's all not true. If he were to come out and say none of it is true who would believe that? I'm not sure there is much middle ground here. If any of it is true all of it may as well be. So these next few days should be interesting. Somehow he got the ultimate hall pass with the whole Rhabado thing. We'll all be waiting with baited breath to see how this ends up .

I wrote a book about a soldier. I've never been in combat. I've never been on his battlefields. It was strong selling book. Jerry Parr's wife wrote a book about Jerry. Two of the finest people I know. Your tone speaks loudly. Social change doesn't take place without the story being told.

Writing a book is a very stiff challenge for someone of working age and having kids at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts