Howe: Iowa Football Must Address Former Players Speaking Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
DJ Johnson seems all hurt over all kinds of stuff and Geno calling him out on it....seems like him losing playing time might be a factor in his comments but who knows

yeah this is bad. I don’t see how Doyle keeps his job (which if these allegations are true, I’m not shedding a tear). Kirk has gotten support from a Number of guys but the captain goes down with the ship and Doyle’s comments are ship sinking cannonballs.

This may go the way of Paterno, Dantonio and Meyer. This one may be harder for the program to overcome.

Thank you. This has nagged at me for years, seeing the disparities in the racial makeup of the starting lineups between Iowa and other programs at or above their level. The walk-ons who play, while the highly-touted recruits sit or transfer out.

It may not be outward racism, like Doyle's comments, but it's definitely bias, which can be equally harmful for how insidious it is, and how easily it can be obscured by coded language.

The pickup v camero thing is pretty damning. There will be protests at Iowa Football games. Iowa won't allow IL marching band. The comments at opponents fields this fall.

This may go the way of Paterno, Dantonio and Meyer. This one may be harder for the program to overcome.

I agree. I made the statement multiple times about not believing that a college coach didn’t know about everything going on within his program regarding Joe Pa. That same point applies. There are too many examples of Doyle (and possibly Brian, maybe others) making life more I’m difficult to think Kirk has no idea. We’ve heard for years how Doyle is Kirks right hand man. So the ignorance card can’t be played

Akrum Wadley tweeted that one day when it was cold outside he wore a Nike face mask. When he was leaving practice he said someone asked him if he was going to rob a bank or liquor store.

He did't say who asked him that, but that is not good!

Akrum Wadley tweeted that one day when it was cold outside he wore a Nike face mask. When he was leaving practice he said someone asked him if he was going to rob a bank or liquor store.

He did't say who asked him that, but that is not good!

A white guy asked me that same question at Jerry's Foods when I pulled my buff up to cover my mouth and nose on a cold day this winter.

I kinda figured this day would come. KF has a way he wants his players to act, I don't see anything wrong with it as long as this is presented up front. I've seen people say he wants them to act "white", which kinda bothers me, what is the "black" way that is so different? Young men being taught to be respectable adults is "white"? To me just saying that sounds racists. I've seen so many former players come out and say how great KF is, now they turn on him? The tattoos and wearing corn rows bothers me, people should be able to express themselves how they want. Getting on someone for not tying their shoes, that seems reasonable regardless of the skin color.

If the things that Doyle has said and done are true then he should be fired at once. I'm a little angry that it took THIS long and it had to take a death of a black man for this to come out. This is going to be a tough one for Iowa to weather out, this could have a devastating impact on the sports programs.

Let me add this, the way the Iowa City Police treats people is not getting enough press. It's a shame what I've seen them do to peaceful protesters.

This whole thing is a gut punch to me because I love Iowa football so much. But it really stings that Doyle is the one that seems to be the worst. He’s the one for years that people outside the program would make fun of us for. Saying we pay that much for a S&C coach. And we all defended him. And then it turns out he’s a total piece of trash. I’m ashamed I defended him.

Akrum Wadley's mom is writing a book about all this. She did a live hit on twitter pretty much plugging her up coming book, but she gave no details. Money grab is what she is doing and it will probably be a huge black eye to the program.

Akrum Wadley's mom is writing a book about all this. She did a live hit on twitter pretty much plugging her up coming book, but she gave no details. Money grab is what she is doing and it will probably be a huge black eye to the program.

So people standing up to injustice is always a money grab?

Some former Hawk who goes by the handle name Insurance Coach on Twitter has been posting a lot of things

Insurance Coach@Coach2Insurance

Played there 2007-2008 season..... Doyle made a comment about sending back to the GHETTO. I called him out on it in front of the entire team. I was suspended, KF told me I was out of line and needed to apologize for standing up for myself.

12:13 PM - Jun 6, 2020

This whole thing is a gut punch to me because I love Iowa football so much. But it really stings that Doyle is the one that seems to be the worst. He’s the one for years that people outside the program would make fun of us for. Saying we pay that much for a S&C coach. And we all defended him. And then it turns out he’s a total piece of trash. I’m ashamed I defended him.

While I have not been a huge fan of Doyle over the last decade I defended him and his salary. His position is an important one. I feel dirty for having ever defending him.

He has embarrassed the Iowa athletics program beyond anything I've seen since Alford and Pierce.

Doyle needs to be heard from as soon as possible. I'll withhold judgement about whether dismissal is appropriate at least until he's had the opportunity to speak for himself.

I'll also wager that DJ Johnson is taking this opportunity to grind his axe. There may have been a laundry list of reasons he left, including racial issues, but to paraphrase one of the tweets in response to KF on Sports Center...when people speak out so assertively on an issue it's often because they are guilty of that very thing. He was the one to immediately proclaim that his departure was not due to playing time. Not saying that the things that are being shared shouldn't be shared. Just saying I doubt his persona as the Cleansing Angel of Truth.

I wanted to stay away from this as it is a touchy subject but I have a few takeaways.
First, I think no matter who you are (black, green, white, conservative, liberal, republican, democrat) we can all agree racism is bad and there should be no place for it at your work place or on a university. Some of what I read from the former players who happen to be either graduated with a degree or in the pros making millions come off as tough love. Some of the players comments coming from guys I had no clue existed are stating some things that make you cringe as what not to say and I could see being taken as a racist remark. I hope KF and the entire staff can make a change as I believe this doesn’t not represent a lot of them as human beings.

Second, I notice a lot of Rob Howe’s retweets are from players coming forward saying their experience, making it seem as if they were in 1950’s America. I don’t see Howe retweeting Kevin Ward’s tweet about how KF has been trying to nip this in the butt since 2017. Or Geno stone telling DJ Johnson to not make out Parker to seem like the bad guy. I really hope as journalists we aren’t using this to get personal gain for a personal narrative. Share all sides not just one. That creates division.

Some former Hawk who goes by the handle name Insurance Coach on Twitter has been posting a lot of things

Insurance Coach@Coach2Insurance

Played there 2007-2008 season..... Doyle made a comment about sending back to the GHETTO. I called him out on it in front of the entire team. I was suspended, KF told me I was out of line and needed to apologize for standing up for myself.

12:13 PM - Jun 6, 2020

If this tweet is true, Kirk is done.

I personally don't think Kirk Ferentz is in any danger of losing his program. KF loves his players and I have no doubt he truly has their best interest at heart. That being said, he and the DC's are in a tough spot. Every decision they make about playing certain players over others will now be under a microscope.

That he wasn't aware of the black players feelings about the program...that's an issue. I've seen KF address other problems head on...and I assume he will take this one on too and make changes for the better.

It's great that people like Mike Daniels and Geno Stone are speaking up...as I think there are positive things being overshadowed right now...and people need to acknowledge those things. Change needs to happen...especially with Doyle...but I'd love to see some players defending the program too.

I wanted to stay away from this as it is a touchy subject but I have a few takeaways.
First, I think no matter who you are (black, green, white, conservative, liberal, republican, democrat) we can all agree racism is bad and there should be no place for it at your work place or on a university. Some of what I read from the former players who happen to be either graduated with a degree or in the pros making millions come off as tough love. Some of the players comments coming from guys I had no clue existed are stating some things that make you cringe as what not to say and I could see being taken as a racist remark. I hope KF and the entire staff can make a change as I believe this doesn’t not represent a lot of them as human beings.

Second, I notice a lot of Rob Howe’s retweets are from players coming forward saying their experience, making it seem as if they were in 1950’s America. I don’t see Howe retweeting Kevin Ward’s tweet about how KF has been trying to nip this in the butt since 2017. Or Geno stone telling DJ Johnson to not make out Parker to seem like the bad guy. I really hope as journalists we aren’t using this to get personal gain for a personal narrative. Share all sides not just one. That creates division.

Geno just tweeted out the same stuff everyone else was saying. He might not think Parker specifically is to blame but he’s not saying none of this is true.

It is now open season:

On rioting and robbing and seeking "revenge"

On slandering whomever you "sense" you were slighted by. (Be a man, speak to them, not us)

On allowing "free speech" but only if it fits the blacks are victims whites are racist theme.

On verbally attacking, slandering, physically attacking anyone who admits they voted for the current administration.

On attacking anyone who says and believes "taking a knee" insults the flag and the country. Drew B.

On working off of stereotypes, by all sides (whatever they are in the moment)

On forgetting the rule of law and fairness for all people.

On mob rule. The same rules which ruled the south during "reconstruction." The mobs look different, but they are powered by the same ignorance and hatreds.

Dangerous times, for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts