Howe: Iowa Football Must Address Former Players Speaking Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've also been thinking a lot about Julian Vandervelde's statement. It sounds like it's really bad for black players at iowa and he says he didn't notice even tho he was great friends with black players. I don't see how it's possible that both of those things can be true.

I've also been thinking a lot about Julian Vandervelde's statement. It sounds like it's really bad for black players at iowa and he says he didn't notice even tho he was great friends with black players. I don't see how it's possible that both of those things can be true.

Really? Remember the culture. The players could not speak out. Why would a black player in the program say anything to a white player? Players who were given, here is that word again, privilege?

Because he didnt see it doesnt mean it isnt there. When multiple black players are speaking out, you go back to the old saying, "Where there is smoke, there is fire."

If those things were said by Doyle (and others) and likely did...and if KF had any inkling about it, he may not survive this. Likely BFs future as head coach is gone.

Really? Remember the culture. The players could not speak out. Why would a black player in the program say anything to a white player? Players who were given, here is that word again, privilege?

Because he didnt see it doesnt mean it isnt there. When multiple black players are speaking out, you go back to the old saying, "Where there is smoke, there is fire."

Speaking out to the coaches and complaining to players who are good friends is two different things. Also other white players have spoken out that they did notice things. And remember I never said it wasn't there. At this point, it clearly was. What I did question is if there is any way he truly didn't see or hear it if it was really bad.

My God...Too many things to say right now. I'm beyond disappointed that I've touted Doyle as a leader in his field and an integral part of Iowa Football. When at least half of your players are black...it's important to relate to them and make them feel and understand they belong...there should be no color. I always felt a difference at Iowa...is that the recruiting message is exactly the bar they live by day to day. Better human beings, better equipped dealing with life's challenges, and then they are better football players.

Those comments by Doyle...and with everyone pointing the finger...it's pretty evident...he has to go. I don't think you can even attempt to change a culture when he is there.

Listen...I grew up in a small town in Iowa...no African American residents...and maybe I was lucky as there was no learned prejudice, just ignorance when it came to black culture. Even in my ignorance I would never say the things Doyle said. I was a good basketball player and I made so many friends playing hoops at the small gym across from Burge Hall my freshman year. Those pick up games were epic. Every night you would get a lot of black teams (mostly Chicago area guys) against all white teams. Just great heated competition, but I loved those guys. I know it sounds really stupid, but they were my indoctrination to the African American culture because they were my first real exposure. I'm thankful for the experience and friendships because it shaped my belief system in a very, very positive way.

What the hell is Doyle's excuse?

I'll be honest...this takes the shine off of Iowa Football for me. It's just incredibly disappointing.

Speaking out to the coaches and complaining to players who are good friends is two different things. Also other white players have spoken out that they did notice things. And remember I never said it wasn't there. At this point, it clearly was. What I did question is if there is any way he truly didn't see or hear it if it was really bad.

I guess I dont understand what you are saying then. Are you questioning if he is being truthful? Or ignorant? Or was it really that bad?

I just went through Rob's twitter timeline up to about May 28th. Yeah, Doyle isn't surviving this. Mark Weisman or someone else will likely be the S&C coach this fall.

My God...Too many things to say right now. I'm beyond disappointed that I've touted Doyle as a leader in his field and an integral part of Iowa Football. When at least half of your players are black...it's important to relate to them and make them feel and understand they belong...there should be no color. I always felt a difference at Iowa...is that the recruiting message is exactly the bar they live by day to day. Better human beings, better equipped dealing with life's challenges, and then they are better football players.

Those comments by Doyle...and with everyone pointing the finger...it's pretty evident...he has to go. I don't think you can even attempt to change a culture when he is there.

Listen...I grew up in a small town in Iowa...no African American residents...and maybe I was lucky as there was no learned prejudice, just ignorance when it came to black culture. Even in my ignorance I would never say the things Doyle said. I was a good basketball player and I made so many friends playing hoops at the small gym across from Burge Hall my freshman year. Those pick up games were epic. Every night you would get a lot of black teams (mostly Chicago area guys) against all white teams. Just great heated competition, but I loved those guys. I know it sounds really stupid, but they were my indoctrination to the African American culture because they were my first real exposure. I'm thankful for the experience and friendships because it shaped my belief system in a very, very positive way.

What the hell is Doyle's excuse?

I'll be honest...this takes the shine off of Iowa Football for me. It's just incredibly disappointing.

Doyle can't survive this. It would destroy Iowa's football program. Other coaches will rip Iowa apart on the recruiting trail.

My only questions are does Ferentz survive this? Do we want him to survive this? Would it be best to scrap the whole staff and start over?

He is going to get torn to shreds over this. Hard for me to say Joe Paterno knew about the child rape culture in his problem and then turn around and say Feretnz didn't know about the racist running his S&C program.

If those things were said by Doyle (and others) and likely did...and if KF had any inkling about it, he may not survive this. Likely BFs future as head coach is gone.

KF survives this, but Doyle doesn't.

I'm collecting all of the tweets I see in the column linked in the OP. Please let me know if I miss any.

KF survives this, but Doyle doesn't.

I don't know. The national attention it's getting is severe. Frankly if he knew about it, why should he? The term MSU being beaten by Opie Taylor takes on new meaning.

I'm just questioning how both things could be true at the same time.

I mean, doesnt the outpouring of former players making comments kind of telling what the truth is?

There are white guys who heard stuff that made them feel uncomfortable. There are black players relaying stories of things said directly to them or done to them.

Shoot, we all had an idea of what was happening, we saw lots of questionable depth chart decisions. Too many to count over the years.

Again, where there is smoke, there is usually fire.

I don't know. The national attention it's getting is severe. Frankly if he knew about it, why should he? The term MSU being beaten by Opie Taylor takes on new meaning.

Its going to get very bad Monday for KF unless Trump does something complete off the rails, even by his standards or Biden makes some ridiculous claim that he is a founding member of NWA.

He needs to fire Doyle immediately. His comments, particularly the one about gang banging over the summer are next level stupidity and racist. And Kirk needs pretty much every player to support that Doyle's comments where kept from Ferentz. If it is shown that Kirk knew of the comments, he needs to go too. Immediately.

Holy cow, he says there isn't a single black player that likes it at Iowa. I'm gunna make a prediction that we finish at the bottom of the Big 10 west a lot in the near future.

yeah this is bad. I don’t see how Doyle keeps his job (which if these allegations are true, I’m not shedding a tear). Kirk has gotten support from a Number of guys but the captain goes down with the ship and Doyle’s comments are ship sinking cannonballs.

We all knew there was something going on. The whole try hard thing.

Thank you. This has nagged at me for years, seeing the disparities in the racial makeup of the starting lineups between Iowa and other programs at or above their level. The walk-ons who play, while the highly-touted recruits sit or transfer out.

It may not be outward racism, like Doyle's comments, but it's definitely bias, which can be equally harmful for how insidious it is, and how easily it can be obscured by coded language.

Status
Not open for further replies.