Howe: Iowa Football Must Address Former Players Speaking Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then you are not following his "tweets"

I have been. Now, to be fair there were a lot last night so maybe I missed it. Which ones in particular are you referring “fanned the flames”.

The only ones which I saw he put his personal input on is when he would say things like “disgusting” or “disturbing tale”. But then again, the stories are pretty disgusting and disturbing.

Sorry. I should have been on here more. I was out some last night and it's easier to Tweet than post on here.

I just got caught up reading the thread.

If you feel you need to leave HN because I'm reporting on this story, I'm sorry. Hopefully you care enough about the program that what these players are saying matters. I have updated my column in the OP with a lot more statements from them. I also added Kirk's statement. I will be sure to report when UI has a press conference or makes more statements.

If you think I'm going overboard by Tweeting every player that has a story, I hope that wouldn't bother you. They all should be heard. I've also been having a lot of conversations with former players and their parents for more context.

Kevin Ward tweeted that Ferentz respected Jordan Lomax more than pretty much anyone else and he was addressing the disparity with black transfers for years now. Had an all black players conversation with Lomax leading it to talk about changes that needed to be made. If those changes were already implemented, and doyle was a huge part of that change, is it possible that this problem was already fixed and he keeps his job?

Also Tyler Goodson's mom has spoken out that it's too early to fire coaches and she knows Kirk is a good man. I saw a post that Rob is flaming on twitter and have seen a lot of tweets from former players from him that are bad stories (and rightfully so) but I haven't seen any from him that are good. I've been scrolling twitter for 5 minutes this morning and have already seen two good ones, but they weren't retweeted by Rob. Like I said, I've only been looking for 5 minutes so I don't know if he is showing the good stuff too.

Edit. I didn't see Rob's post directly above mine. Hopefully that means he is sharing good comments too. This is one of the most important stories in Iowa football history. It really needs to be reported fairly. A few days ago, if someone asked me who I trusted to tell a fair story more than anyone else, my answer would have been Rob Howe. I hope that's still my answer a few days from now.

Kevin Ward tweeted that Ferentz respected Jordan Lomax more than pretty much anyone else and he was addressing the disparity with black transfers for years now. Had an all black players conversation with Lomax leading it to talk about changes that needed to be made. If those changes were already implemented, and doyle was a huge part of that change, is it possible that this problem was already fixed and he keeps his job?

Also Tyler Goodson's mom has spoken out that it's too early to fire coaches and she knows Kirk is a good man. I saw a post that Rob is flaming on twitter and have seen a lot of tweets from former players from him that are bad stories (and rightfully so) but I haven't seen any from him that are good. I've been scrolling twitter for 5 minutes this morning and have already seen two good ones, but they weren't retweeted by Rob. Like I said, I've only been looking for 5 minutes so I don't know if he is showing the good stuff too.

Edit. I didn't see Rob's post directly above mine. Hopefully that means he is sharing good comments too. This is one of the most important stories in Iowa football history. It really needs to be reported fairly. A few days ago, if someone asked me who I trusted to tell a fair story more than anyone else, my answer would have been Rob Howe. I hope that's still my answer a few days from now.

I read that also and that gave me some hope. But DJ Johnson’s tweets last night tell me things aren’t fixed. They might be a work in progress but it’s not miraculous turn around.

I just saw that Rob retweeted Goodson's mom's comments. That puts my mind at ease. Good job Rob.

I'm trying to Tweet everything I see. I'm also talking with players and parents. If I miss something, please bring it to my attention.

I read that also and that gave me some hope. But DJ Johnson’s tweets last night tell me things aren’t fixed. They might be a work in progress but it’s not miraculous turn around.
Holy cow, he says there isn't a single black player that likes it at Iowa. I'm gunna make a prediction that we finish at the bottom of the Big 10 west a lot in the near future.

Sorry. I should have been on here more. I was out some last night and it's easier to Tweet than post on here.

I just got caught up reading the thread.

If you feel you need to leave HN because I'm reporting on this story, I'm sorry. Hopefully you care enough about the program that what these players are saying matters. I have updated my column in the OP with a lot more statements from them. I also added Kirk's statement. I will be sure to report when UI has a press conference or makes more statements.

If you think I'm going overboard by Tweeting every player that has a story, I hope that wouldn't bother you. They all should be heard. I've also been having a lot of conversations with former players and their parents for more context.

I never expected this topic to come up. I for one applaud what you are doing. My biggest satisfaction with HN though comes from how several of us in polite messages were torched by the usual flame throwers on here about Faith and nothing was done about it. If I remember correctly, it was TK, someone who was later booted and maybe Good(but I might be off).

When it comes to covert and outward racism, child abuse and other issues, nothing will get solved until the majority is uncomfortable.

Now Goodall comes out. No way KF didn't know about this.

A lot of people want to bring up soldiers and the flag. How many of you know the story about the hangings at Camp Dodge in WW1? 55 of 70 military executions in WW2 were black though a huge minority. In the 50s and 60s all or just one of 20 something executions in the military were black.

Locally a black man had a diabetic reaction and passed out driving. He had an excellent record. When he passed out he ran over some women on campus and one died. He got 12 years. His son, also with a clean record got emotional and cried out to the judge on sentencing and got 6 months. At the same time a young white nurse was drunk while driving an ATV on a farm party. had a wreck killing her young passenger. 3 months. The black guy had traces of marijuana in his blood, but was deemed in the trial to have not influenced the accident.

Rob, I applaud what you are doing, but wish you'd done it earlier. That would have been very difficult though.

Myself, at 5:30 pm, I'll be in a peaceful protest.

Dozens of adults knew about the severe child abuse I went through as a kid. Didn't impact them. They did nothing.
I contacted Representative Heaton about the Iowa child abuse statute. He wasn't supportive of allowing older cases..Why? He was associated with the Davenport Diocese. He said to me, "That would bankrupt the Diocese"

None of this crap of abuse through racism or otherwise won't quit until everyone is uncomfortable..

Holy cow, he says there isn't a single black player that likes it at Iowa. I'm gunna make a prediction that we finish at the bottom of the Big 10 west a lot in the near future.

Going to go out on a limb and say that DJ Johnson is full of BLEEP! I have seen enough on twitter say other wise...

DJ Johnson says "usually when people try the hardest in situations like this, they have the most to hide".

It is way too early to pass judgment on the Iowa football program. I will await credible evidence. I do feel very strongly about two issues. First, bright lights need to be shined on the accusations. Secondly, and just as important, is my belief that Twitter is an absolutely unreliable source of information. A study at MIT that I just saw yesterday in Time magazine found that a given “tweet” has a 70% higher chance of being false rather than true. We need to review the facts well away from Twitter, or credibility could be lost and reputations ruined.
Finally, I have blocked some additional posters who I judge to be unreliable at best. And, I deleted, I think, all of my posts in this thread. I am out of this conversation after this post. I may read but refuse to respond. I am certain some will be grateful.

Going to go out on a limb and say that DJ Johnson is full of BLEEP! I have seen enough on twitter say other wise...
It kinda seems like it. He's definitely coming off as the most upset by it. Most guys are saying things like "I love the program but some things need to change". He seems like he wants to burn the place down. Now maybe it's possible it's more recent with him so the pain and anger is still fresh. But if that's really how all black players leave the program, is it even possible no one ever spoke out?

We all knew there was something going on. The whole try hard thing.

This just crushes me. I did not think it was this bad. '

It has to be time for Barta to go. He is the leader and between the racism and sexism, can the University keep him?

We all knew there was something going on. The whole try hard thing.

This just crushes me. I did not think it was this bad. '

It has to be time for Barta to go. He is the leader and between the racism and sexism, can the University keep him?

Well it may not be that bad either, yes it sounds like there are some things that need to change, but it also sounds like it was something that the coaching staff has discussed also...

Iowa football getting torched right now on message boards. "Tough on kidneys, worse on black players" for example.

It's nice to see white players speak up and say they struggled with the "conform to our culture" aspect of the program. As fans, a lot of us have complained about that for years. Guys like CJ Beathard seemed like they weren't "iowa enough" to get a fair shake. DJK seemed to always get ridiculed for having too much swagger. Remember the sunglasses in the interview.

I don't think all of that derived from racism. But I definitely see how it could be precieved like that by black players. Especially since black players would have to conform more to fit the mold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts