Howe: Iowa Football Must Address Former Players Speaking Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
People make mistakes, but how they respond to those mistakes defines who they are as people. This needs to be addressed internally as well as publicly otherwise everything said by the coaches and the administration up to this point is nothing but empty words with no meaning.

People make mistakes, but how they respond to those mistakes defines who they are as people. This needs to be addressed internally as well as publicly otherwise everything said by the coaches and the administration up to this point is nothing but empty words with no meaning.

There needs to be an internal investigation immediately. If it is determined than any member of the staff has ever made an inappropriate remark, he needs to be given walking papers before the season. I can forgive a dozen guys catching the rhabdo, but we must draw the line somewhere and this is the moment.

There needs to be an internal investigation immediately. If it is determined than any member of the staff has ever made an inappropriate remark, he needs to be given walking papers before the season. I can forgive a dozen guys catching the rhabdo, but we must draw the line somewhere and this is the moment.

I agree, but you know where I stand on internal investigations.

Rob, I really appreciate the tone of this article and the courage you showed in publishing it. You folks in the media have incredible opportunities to bring up important issues and keep asking important questions until they get answered. The UI does not make this easy, and would not hesitate in a minute to ban any sports reporter who doggedly asks tough questions. Nonetheless, I encourage you to ask the hard, tough questions when given the chance...and to keep asking.
I do think you're being naive to write "I wish they would have spoken up when they were here." You're much closer to the football program than I, but even I know that KF allows no dissension within the ranks. Individual outspoken personalities are discouraged, and staff are defended publicly without exception. You mentioning the rhabdo incident is very appropriate as an example where KF and Doyle never admitted a mistake, never took responsibility, and never apologized after multiple Hawks ended up in the hospital and some had lasting organ damage...instead naming Doyle later that year as "Staffer of the Year" or some such thing. No doubt that message was heard loud and clear by all the players.
"Speaking up" while you're playing football at the UI is not currently allowed if you value the coach's opinion, i.e. playing time. Perhaps further interviews with former players who've been tweeting would shed more light on the situation and personalities involved.

This feels bad... Like it could be really bad. I've heard that Doyle has some pretty 'colorful' language with the guys and I suppose it wouldn't be a stretch to say he's crossed the line over the years. As far as the number of black players coming and leaving early goes that gets tricky. Everyone is an individual obviously. To draw any conclusions from just the numbers without context from all the kids involved wouldn't be a fair thing to do. Iowa's population is like 90% white. But within a college town like Iowa City it'll be significantly more diverse then that. For some out of state kids that are black just the drastic change can be a lot. I can tell you as a white dude from small town NW Iowa (300 people 28 kids in my class all white) just moving to Des Moines when I was 20 was a culture shock. And it wasn't the same kind of culture shock they have not even close.

Rob, I really appreciate the tone of this article and the courage you showed in publishing it. You folks in the media have incredible opportunities to bring up important issues and keep asking important questions until they get answered. The UI does not make this easy, and would not hesitate in a minute to ban any sports reporter who doggedly asks tough questions. Nonetheless, I encourage you to ask the hard, tough questions when given the chance...and to keep asking.
I do think you're being naive to write "I wish they would have spoken up when they were here." You're much closer to the football program than I, but even I know that KF allows no dissension within the ranks. Individual outspoken personalities are discouraged, and staff are defended publicly without exception. You mentioning the rhabdo incident is very appropriate as an example where KF and Doyle never admitted a mistake, never took responsibility, and never apologized after multiple Hawks ended up in the hospital and some had lasting organ damage...instead naming Doyle later that year as "Staffer of the Year" or some such thing. No doubt that message was heard loud and clear by all the players.
"Speaking up" while you're playing football at the UI is not currently allowed if you value the coach's opinion, i.e. playing time. Perhaps further interviews with former players who've been tweeting would shed more light on the situation and personalities involved.

I wrote it that way because I don't know if they felt they couldn't speak out. I don't want to accuse the coaches of that unless I know for sure.

I've reached out to some players and families and talked off the record. They're handling things between themselves. Just my guess based on conversations, but I think we are going to hear more in this topic from guys who went through the program.

The Hawkeye leaders can't be silent when presented with problems:

LINK

I guess unless or until there is more that comes out, I’m going to respectfully disagree that Iowa needs to address things publicly every time someone posts an issue on social media.

As recently as late 2016, after Doyle became the sports highest paid S&C coach, Mike Daniels tweeted that he was worth every penny. This was 5 years after he left the program. Now he’s an issue all of a sudden?

I don’t disagree that the IC police needs a culture change...we’ve been discussing that for years.

But until proven otherwise, KF has earned more than enough capital to get the benefit of the doubt.

Plus, given what we’ve seen in things from Kelvin Bell and Kelton Copeland regarding racism, do you really think they’d stick with a program that has major issues involving race?

I guess unless or until there is more that comes out, I’m going to respectfully disagree that Iowa needs to address things publicly every time someone posts an issue on social media.

As recently as late 2016, after Doyle became the sports highest paid S&C coach, Mike Daniels tweeted that he was worth every penny. This was 5 years after he left the program. Now he’s an issue all of a sudden?

I don’t disagree that the IC police needs a culture change...we’ve been discussing that for years.

But until proven otherwise, KF has earned more than enough capital to get the benefit of the doubt.

Plus, given what we’ve seen in things from Kelvin Bell and Kelton Copeland regarding racism, do you really think they’d stick with a program that has major issues involving race?

Well, from these numerous players who have spoken up, it doesn't sound like things are exactly rosy and just peachy. It'll be interesting to see who else comes forward or speaks out.

Mike Daniels wasn’t one who called out Doyle. Ekakitie, Jaleel Johnson, and a couple other guys did.

Mike Daniels called out Iowa City and the State of Iowa as a whole.

Jaleel even said in his tweet that Doyle was the best in college football. Doyle is safe job wise, but a Public statement and changes are needed.

The Hawkeye leaders can't be silent when presented with problems:

LINK

I consider myself to be a fairly astute observer or Iowa football. However three players spoke out and I’m not sure who they are? Who is the Haitian prince, Stephen B and lebron daniels? Did they ever see the depth chart?

This feels bad... Like it could be really bad. I've heard that Doyle has some pretty 'colorful' language with the guys and I suppose it wouldn't be a stretch to say he's crossed the line over the years. As far as the number of black players coming and leaving early goes that gets tricky. Everyone is an individual obviously. To draw any conclusions from just the numbers without context from all the kids involved wouldn't be a fair thing to do. Iowa's population is like 90% white. But within a college town like Iowa City it'll be significantly more diverse then that. For some out of state kids that are black just the drastic change can be a lot. I can tell you as a white dude from small town NW Iowa (300 people 28 kids in my class all white) just moving to Des Moines when I was 20 was a culture shock. And it wasn't the same kind of culture shock they have not even close.

There are million factors involved in players transferring besides race. Black players come from way more diverse places way further away then white players. Iowa doesn’t really get as many white players from the southeast or NJ or other areas of the northeast. Most white players are from Iowa and the immediate Midwest.

plus playing time is huge as well. If you came to Iowa and as a black player you aren’t seeing playing time, you’d be gone as well.

I’d like to see robs same numbers except for white vs black players in the 2 deep. I guarantee the numbers would line up.

I’m seeing a lot of tweets from former black players talking about rules and culture of the iowa program not allowing them to express their individuality. Things like not allowing td celebration, exposing tattoos in the weight room, not having shoes tied properly, etc.

If that’s truly the heart of the issue, then I’m sorry, but if you want to express yourself, go join the drama club. KF has earned the right to run his program as he sees fit...within reason of course.

Does that mean there’s not room for improvement, growth, or change? Of course not. But having what’s perceived as “strict rules” is a far cry from being racist.

I’m seeing a lot of tweets from former black players talking about rules and culture of the iowa program not allowing them to express their individuality. Things like not allowing td celebration, exposing tattoos in the weight room, not having shoes tied properly, etc.

If that’s truly the heart of the issue, then I’m sorry, but if you want to express yourself, go join the drama club. KF has earned the right to run his program as he sees fit...within reason of course.

Does that mean there’s not room for improvement, growth, or change? Of course not. But having what’s perceived as “strict rules” is a far cry from being racist.
This.
Situation is primed for a solid interjection from DJK.
JFC when does football start again...?

Seeing more former players post this evening...Doyle goes, and if Ferentz won’t do that it’s time Kirk goes too.

Enough is enough eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts