Howe: Iowa Does It Right in Meeting Off-Field Issues Head On

Bravo, Rob Howe. And Bravo, KF. and it sounds like these fine young men are taking full responsibility for their actions. Red Alert: Soon, the usual suspects will question the kids' sincerity.

Well stated, Rob. I was impressed when I saw and heard the interviews. Hopefully, the four suspended players will use these experiences as springboards and come back better than ever.

Kirk's not perfect by any means, but I don't know of any reasonable person that has criticized his character. I love the fact that - unlike many other programs - he and the players are not shying away from the adversity. The candid forthright approach is refreshing.

Doing the right thing can and usually does mean more losses which in turn less interest/vigor for the program. Recruiting suffers because the outside narrative is ‘they are hard on players’ or ‘treat them unfairly’ type of stuff. In the end I guess the tough calls are made to help young men grow and try to avoid ending up like some of the other programs.

I don’t think you can do it the ‘right way’ and really win to a large degree on the field. It’s been proven time and time again that programs who break rules or work in the margins gain an advantage. That’s why they do it. They are not always caught or if they are they move on and depending on the situation quickly recover.

Let’s see how the season plays out. We start losing right out of the gates and we will see how good everyone feels about ‘doing it the right way’.

Doing the right thing can and usually does mean more losses which in turn less interest/vigor for the program. Recruiting suffers because the outside narrative is ‘they are hard on players’ or ‘treat them unfairly’ type of stuff. In the end I guess the tough calls are made to help young men grow and try to avoid ending up like some of the other programs.

I don’t think you can do it the ‘right way’ and really win to a large degree on the field. It’s been proven time and time again that programs who break rules or work in the margins gain an advantage. That’s why they do it. They are not always caught or if they are they move on and depending on the situation quickly recover.

Let’s see how the season plays out. We start losing right out of the gates and we will see how good everyone feels about ‘doing it the right way’.

That's a personal choice. I don't think you can lump everybody in with the "if we don't win enough, who cares about being morally and ethically responsible."

It's fine to feel however you want to feel. If you want a dirty program that's win at all costs, that's certainly your right. But not everybody feels that way. I think the majority of Iowa fans are proud of what the program stands for and that it does everything it can not to embarrass the state and people in represents.

That's a personal choice. I don't think you can lump everybody in with the "if we don't win enough, who cares about being morally and ethically responsible."

It's fine to feel however you want to feel. If you want a dirty program that's win at all costs, that's certainly your right. But not everybody feels that way. I think the majority of Iowa fans are proud of what the program stands for and that it does everything it can not to embarrass the state and people in represents.

I did not say anything about wanting a dirty program. I am commenting because I just find the cynicism in this ‘do it the right way’, ‘run a clean program’ and ‘don’t embarrass us’ type of narrative only to be followed by the narrative from the same media and fans discussing ‘what’s wrong with this program’, ‘has the game passed him by’ and ‘time for a change’ when the losing starts after making the right decisions. There’s never a celebration of losing because you ‘did it the right way’. The media, fan support and money flows in when you win not when you lose.

Let’s see how the season plays out. We start losing right out of the gates and we will see how everyone feels about ‘doing it the right way.’

You’re implying that if Iowa loses some games, everyone is going to change their opinion of running a clean program. That’s how you feel. Don’t lump everyone in with how you feel.

Will there be others that feel the way you do if Iowa doesn’t win as much as everyone wants them to? Yes. It’s a portion of every fan base that wants change if a team doesn’t meet its personal expectations.

But I maintain that the majority of Iowa fans are proud of what this program stands for and the way it handled things at media day.

Everyone wants to win. That’s why they play the games. But most of them wouldn’t sell their souls with the stepford fans at Penn State, Michigan State and Ohio State who aren’t embarrassed by what their programs have represented. I know I wouldn’t.

Let’s see how the season plays out. We start losing right out of the gates and we will see how everyone feels about ‘doing it the right way.’

You’re implying that if Iowa loses some games, everyone is going to change their opinion of running a clean program. That’s how you feel. Don’t lump everyone in with how you feel.

Will there be others that feel the way you do if Iowa doesn’t win as much as everyone wants them to? Yes. It’s a portion of every fan base that wants change if a team doesn’t meet its personal expectations.

But I maintain that the majority of Iowa fans are proud of what this program stands for and the way it handled things at media day.

Everyone wants to win. That’s why they play the games. But most of them wouldn’t sell their souls with the stepford fans at Penn State, Michigan State and Ohio State who aren’t embarrassed by what their programs have represented. I know I wouldn’t.

We sit in different areas of the stadium and run with different groups of fans evidently because that’s not the sentiment I hear from anyone. Losses and mediocre to poor seasons sting.

This is facetious in what I say here.... but let me know when we hang our next ‘did it the right way’ banner after a season.

Honestly, there are times where I think KF would probably be happier coaching high school ball. He always comments on how teaching the game and molding kids into good functional adults are.the best parts of his job. Much more of that in a high school setting.

I think it would be great to see him volunteer at a local high school when he hangs up the whistle.

We sit in different areas of the stadium and run with different groups of fans evidently because that’s not the sentiment I hear from anyone. Losses and mediocre to poor seasons sting.

This is facetious in what I say here.... but let me know when we hang our next ‘did it the right way’ banner after a season.

I’m not saying everyone. I’m saying the majority.

People have different expectations even though we all would like to see nothing but wins. And Iowa has won 27 games the last three seasons. It’s not like doing it the right way has created a dog poo program.

As someone who covers recruiting, Iowa’s culture isn’t costing it major prospects. They’re not saying, hey, don’t go to Iowa. They punish players.

Anyway, I appreciate the respectful conversation. We see things differently and that’s ok.

Just arrived at Kinnick for kids day.

I’m not saying everyone. I’m saying the majority.

People have different expectations even though we all would like to see nothing but wins. And Iowa has won 27 games the last three seasons. It’s not like doing it the right way has created a dog poo program.

As someone who covers recruiting, Iowa’s culture isn’t costing it major prospects. They’re not saying, hey, don’t go to Iowa. They punish players.

Anyway, I appreciate the respectful conversation. We see things differently and that’s ok.

Just arrived at Kinnick for kids day.
Call me old school, but I think a lot of parents get and understand what KF and Co. try to sell as the backbone and integrity of the program. I would much rather my son play for an 8-5 KF type of coach than a couch lile Urban or that moron out at Maryland.

I've never been a coach, or a starter on any athletic program, ( though I was a kick ass bench warmer! ), but I look at the long term effects that our coaches will have on these young men, and I really can't argue with what has transpired. Maybe, just maybe, it will work to their advantage.

Latest posts