Howe: Hawkeyes' Signature Win Highlights What Might Have Been

Isn't the object of the game on offense every game to score as many points as possible? Why should that change from game to game? In what circumstance should an offense not come out and be aggressive? Minnesota has an awful defense, but after the first half it was back to the same ole same ole from Brian. Totally went away from Goodson, when he was averaging 8 yards per carry. Part of the reason the offense looked so good yesterday is because they actually put the most talented player we have on the field. Tyler Goodson.

Minnesota’s defense is allowing 20.9 PPG, which is sixth in the B1G and 28th nationally.

Young is averaging 5.8 yards per carry and did not get a rep yesterday.

Young should be getting Sargeants reps in my opinion. Sergeant run too much sideline to sideline on a consistent basis.

What happened to putting Young at FB on some snaps. They did that early in the year and it was a good look and he is a pass catching threat.

Meh.

The game yesterday (and the circumstances surrounding it) have been played out many times in many seasons.

Iowa is "close" .....only "x" losses by a combined "xx" points. As the OP opines,....what if.

Without anything nationally to play for other than some press clippings and a warmer bowl game, we rise up for one game and make somebody else's life miserable. Chip on the shoulder. Play better being somewhat disrespected.

Pats on the back. Good press clippings. Lots of "we're close" and "shoulda/woulda/coulda"....as we end up 8-4, 9-3, bowl game. And place at least one person in the first two rounds of the NFL. Sometimes more. And even more make NFL teams.

Is this good? Is this underachieving? I'll leave that up to you, the reader.

My take is it is what our program is.

Young should be getting Sargeants reps in my opinion. Sergeant run too much sideline to sideline on a consistent basis.

What happened to putting Young at FB on some snaps. They did that early in the year and it was a good look and he is a pass catching threat.

Fair question. They’re opting for more 3-WR sets.

Don't we have a similar article every year?

I think most agree that KF is a decent coach but except for 2015, the last 12 seasons have been marred by a record below what the roster seemed to be.
Weak OCs with little imagination, flexibility. Below average which works for Middle TN, but in the needed games, not.

Weak in game coaching, which seems disjointed, panic led, confused. Iowa seems to get out-coached quite often but when do the pundits and fans say...wow, Kirk and staff won that game!

QBs which, even though experienced, just don't have the "it" to carry the team to the finish line beyond a bit above average.

Predictable Iowa, which most often is easy hunting for opponents of equal or above talent.

Perhaps Kirk is the "restrictor plate" which overrides change and creativity. If so, the other coaches are only along for the ride.

Greatness seldom "plays it safe." But with so many bowls out there, so much middling success available, is the risk worth the reward of being champion?

This team has the talent to be great, but it is another befuddled and baffling season of what might have been, but isn't.

You feel good about it, but not so much.

Part of Iowa’s offensive success in the first half yesterday was because Minnesota was expecting conservative predictably from Iowa’s offense. The Gophers sat back on D. In the second half, they had success turning up the heat and the Hawkeyes, in turn, reverted back to more conservative play calls.

The announcers said that the staff watched the Gophers last game and thought they would be over-aggressive, especially in the secondary. They called a couple double moves that the Gopher staff didn't have on film. The toss play is another one that wasn't on the other teams scouting report. Finally, Stanley had more time than he did against any other decent team this season and he was just in a rhythm to start the game at home.

They flashed a stat on the screen yesterday. I don't recall the exact numbers, it was something like 25-28, but the premise is still accurate.

IOWA under KFz is under .500 in games decided by less than 8 points. Kind of blows the "keep every game close" strategy out of the water.
The stat was Kirk is 52-58 in one possession games.

Great kid. Great teammate. I wonder if he looks for the full-time gig this offseason.
Maybe, but didn't Young start vs Wisconsin just the week before? Some defenses you've gotta have more power at the RB spot; some defenses hitting the spots quickly is most important. I thought starting Young vs the Badgers was a good move, and until Stanley's fumble, Young was rumbling. But after watching the MN/PSU game, I had the same thought as KF: MN's run weakness was against quick off-tackle runs to the outside -- something Goodson would be much better at. If anything, it appears to me that Sargeant is becoming the 3rd RB at this point more often than not.

What might have been indeed. The following quotes are maddening.

“We knew we had to put points on the board. We were more aggressive than usual,” receiver Nico Ragaini said.

Said fellow wideout Ihmir Smith-Marsette: “We knew we had to be aggressive. It was balls to the wall this game. You have to go and give it everything you’ve got. It’s a Top 10 team. Open up the playbook

Ferentz also addressed Saturday’s approach.“We knew we were going to have to score points today

How about playing aggressively EVERY GAME?!! for cryin' out loud. How many times do we have to see the difference on the field, only to watch things regress back to Ferentz-ball the following week.

This last paragraph is what it is all about. Thank you for posting this. We should have this mentality every week. And to me this is on Ferentz.

Part of Iowa’s offensive success in the first half yesterday was because Minnesota was expecting conservative predictably from Iowa’s offense. The Gophers sat back on D. In the second half, they had success turning up the heat and the Hawkeyes, in turn, reverted back to more conservative play calls.
Not really. Ran a reverse that didn’t pan out, 3 dropped passes thwarted drives (TT although good strip by Minny, ISM on the over turned play, Ragini), Goodsen missed in pass protection on a sack(Nate rolled into it and didn’t help), Stanley threw some beautiful balls in the second half, and the team moved it well enough to flip the field.

thus, I don’t think it’s fair to say they went conservative, just some misses in a low possession game

Not really. Ran a reverse that didn’t pan out, 3 dropped passes thwarted drives (TT although good strip by Minny, ISM on the over turned play, Ragini), Goodsen missed in pass protection on a sack(Nate rolled into it and didn’t help), Stanley threw some beautiful balls in the second half, and the team moved it well enough to flip the field.

thus, I don’t think it’s fair to say they went conservative, just some misses in a low possession game

Good points. I would say not Northwestern game conservative but less risk than the first half.

I wouldn’t call the reversal on ISM play a dropped pass.

If you want to beat Iowa, you attack the QB, early and often. And never let up other than "select" opportunistic plays.

It seems to me...

Good points. I would say not Northwestern game conservative but less risk than the first half.

I wouldn’t call the reversal on ISM play a dropped pass.

The NW game wasn't bad coaching from KF. NW was only going to score if all 11 Iowa D players fell over with broken legs. Sometimes you gotta play a little conservative and lean on that knowledge.

What is frustrating is that Iowa can still TRY and score on offense to take away any flukes from happening. You don't have to throw bombs, or come out throwing at all, but get a little more creative with your running plays and mid size throws. It's risky to go conservative like they did when the opposing teams know what you're going to do.

Again, NW could have known everything about Iowa's defense scheme on every play, but their QB was no more going to complete a pass for more than 3 yards...

Iowa needs to learn how to adapt better on offense to have any chance at winning the West again. Most of us knew this season was over after the loss to UM. The offense didn't/doesn't have that spark

Isn't the object of the game on offense every game to score as many points as possible? Why should that change from game to game? In what circumstance should an offense not come out and be aggressive? Minnesota has an awful defense, but after the first half it was back to the same ole same ole from Brian. Totally went away from Goodson, when he was averaging 8 yards per carry. Part of the reason the offense looked so good yesterday is because they actually put the most talented player we have on the field. Tyler Goodson.

Goodson has been getting touches since the first game of the year. He is second on the team with 82 attempts, they've had Goodson on the field the entire season.

I really think playing the "what if" game is a complete waste of time.

We are 7-3 with a chance to be 9-3. Then 10-3 in the bowl with a win. That is all we can focus on now.

10-3 would be a special season, division championship or not. Bowl championships matter, and we could be playing in January again with a strong finish.

Latest posts