Howe: Hawkeyes Must Bounce Back from Michigan St. Gut Punch

Maybe, but I don't think he's going to answer that because you're asking him more directly if more fouls should have been called. By asking him if his team wasn't aggressive enough, it allows him to say it was without getting him in trouble.

I've been around Fran a lot and part of the puzzle is trying to ask things in a way that I think he will answer. Yes, he was initially mad that I suggested his team wasn't aggressive enough, but he thought it through and I think understood where I was coming from and gave a great answer.

I'll ask him about it next time I see him. Maybe I'm off, but that's how I see it after giving it some thought.

When I heard the question, my first thought was exactly what you just said. You asked a question you already knew the answer to and he knew you knew.

When I heard the question, my first thought was exactly what you just said. You asked a question you already knew the answer to and he knew you knew.
The lady who cuts my hair does the same thing, asking me questions she already knows the answer to. Because a small town beautician hears everything. She's just seeing if my answer is consistent with what she's heard. Most of the time I give "coaches answers" to the questions she's asking.

At least she's better than her predecessor, who constantly bragged about her niece and all the recruiting attention she was going to get and how the coaches were going to move her straight up to varsity her freshman year. She was my oldest son's age. We had all seen her play. She was athletic, but hit an early growth spurt, which contributed greatly to her reputation. Once she did get into high school, she didn't even finish volleyball or basketball because by then everyone had caught up to her. The only sport she played all four years was track and field. Her aunt retired and escaped to a Florida retirement community.

Last edited:
I also believe Fran and his staff get lost in the game...many games our coaches sit on their hands when an opposing team is having one of those runs (and we are fragile mentally on D) instead of using TO's anytime we leave TO's in our pocket in a game like that I really question who's paying attention over there. I don't understand the OMG what do we do now...you already said it we aren't as good as MSU period. Doesn't mean we can't win every other game on our schedule. In this league this year middle of the pack is going to be good enough to get in to the NCAA bracket.

Frustrating. Fran losing his cool sooo often can't good be good for his ability to focus on those things he should be focusing on imo. And he has never been a good bench coach to begin with imo. I still can't get over allowing a 24-2 run and only calling one timeout.

What are his assistants supposed to do? Take over? He is a loose cannon. There is probably a fine line between offering unsolicited advice and getting their heads taken off. They have a hard enough time restraining the guy. That would have to wear a guy out. Speraw should receive a combat medal or something.

Frustrating. Fran losing his cool sooo often can't good be good for his ability to focus on those things he should be focusing on imo. And he has never been a good bench coach to begin with imo. I still can't get over allowing a 24-2 run and only calling one timeout.

What are his assistants supposed to do? Take over? He is a loose cannon. There is probably a fine line between offering unsolicited advice and getting their heads taken off. They have a hard enough time restraining the guy. That would have to wear a guy out. Speraw should receive a combat medal or something.
When Joe B. Hall coached Kentucky in the 1970's, his top assistant was future Iowa State head coach Lynn Nance. Lynn was known for accruing more than his share of technical fouls considering he was just an assistant. What could Hall say? Nance was not only a loose cannon, he was a retired FBI agent. He would have ripped Hall's head off. He darned near ripped Bobby Knight's head off in a 1974 or 75 altercation.

When Joe B. Hall coached Kentucky in the 1970's, his top assistant was future Iowa State head coach Lynn Nance. Lynn was known for accruing more than his share of technical fouls considering he was just an assistant. What could Hall say? Nance was not only a loose cannon, he was a retired FBI agent. He would have ripped Hall's head off. He darned near ripped Bobby Knight's head off in a 1974 or 75 altercation.

I always enjoy the historical perspectives you bring to the board. Seriously. And I am not implying you are old. :)

Another killer defensive performance...we've given up a Half a Hundred in one half again. We seem to be more concerned about looking like we are only interested in running out...like somehow the other team isn't scoring.

Sadly they aren't bouncing back. If anything they look worse. At least with MSU that's actually a good team. Minnesota is a bad team who has no business winning.

Latest posts