Howe: Hawkeyes Locate Edge in Upsetting Cincinnati

Good grief. I just read the Cincy post game from their players and coach. I am absolutely blown away with the class, candid responses. New found respect. NO sarcasm. Please read it.

I think the difference was Joe Wieskamp back must be feeling better. He had a great game for Iowa. I wonder what the Iowa won loss record would of been if he hadn't come to Iowa.

I think the difference was Joe Wieskamp back must be feeling better. He had a great game for Iowa. I wonder what the Iowa won loss record would of been if he hadn't come to Iowa.

IMO, he's Iowa's best player.

Being a freshman on a veteran team, he makes sense that he deferred to the older guys at different times throughout the season. He didn't yesterday.

It's a much better team when he's aggressive offensively.

Being a freshman on a veteran team, he makes sense that he deferred to the older guys at different times throughout the season. He didn't yesterday.

Joe has got the "it" factor. All-around player, understands the game, cool as a cucumber, makes plays.

Agree. And when it comes to broadest skill set Garza is next. Of course Bohannon and Cook are better in their specialty areas. IMO

So much good in that one it’s hard to know where to start.

-Garza was terrific obviously inside, but two huge threes, drew a charge and was active on defense (still got beat a few times, but solid for him).

-JBo was a true PG tonight in this one folks. Got in the lane a few times driving scores. Drew a huge foul on their big guy. Drive and kicked a couple times. Terrific game and he didn’t even have his shot.

-Joe W. Let’s just hope we get to watch this kid in the tournament for 4 years, he’s special.

-Cook. My take on him might be different than some. He couldn’t make shit but he was playing hard, that’s all I want from him, play hard. The bunnies will start falling.

-Baer was Baer which is great (outside of two dumb turnovers).

-Several others stepped up as well.

Cook also had some big D rebounds in the last 5 minutes.

About the press. I was screaming at my TV to get out of that for awhile, but looking back on it I’m glad Fran didn’t.

It wasn’t creating a ton of turnovers, but what it was doing was making it so Iowa didn’t have to defend for the full 30 seconds in their zone.

Yep. And it also made Cincy have to hurry more since they like to get deep into the shot clock. It shortened their time to set up for better shots.

I knew this day would come.;)
It is true he has the most raw talent. And when aggressive does make Iowa better. But as I have obsessed over, J-Bo (for reasons having to do more with legacy and personality than sheer talent) is the most important player this season. That could change next year. Then again, it might not. He has that X-factor that isn't so much developed as it is something you are born with.
Next year's squad will have Joe T - Joe W - Joe Bo - Joe Garza - Joe "Kahhhhhhhhn" McCaffrey - Joe Moss - Joe "mic" Baer - Joe Kreiner - Joe Cook and Jordell Pemsell. Of course I may have erred in some parts of this post, but next year's team will be better and expectations adjusted accordingly.

Agree. And when it comes to broadest skill set Garza is next. Of course Bohannon and Cook are better in their specialty areas. IMO