Howe: Hawkeyes Locate Edge in Upsetting Cincinnati

So much good in that one it’s hard to know where to start.

-Garza was terrific obviously inside, but two huge threes, drew a charge and was active on defense (still got beat a few times, but solid for him).

-JBo was a true PG tonight in this one folks. Got in the lane a few times driving scores. Drew a huge foul on their big guy. Drive and kicked a couple times. Terrific game and he didn’t even have his shot.

-Joe W. Let’s just hope we get to watch this kid in the tournament for 4 years, he’s special.

-Cook. My take on him might be different than some. He couldn’t make shit but he was playing hard, that’s all I want from him, play hard. The bunnies will start falling.

-Baer was Baer which is great (outside of two dumb turnovers).

-Several others stepped up as well.

About the press. I was screaming at my TV to get out of that for awhile, but looking back on it I’m glad Fran didn’t.

It wasn’t creating a ton of turnovers, but what it was doing was making it so Iowa didn’t have to defend for the full 30 seconds in their zone.

One of the really great Iowa BB wins. No one saw that second half performance coming.

I think Iowa is loose and will play well Sunday.

Go Colgate!

My simple take.............

The first ten minutes were really hard to watch, nothing was falling, it looked like it could get ugly...again.

Then Fran evidently challenged them in the huddle to stop playing timid. They came out and started scratching and clawing and it was the scratching and clawing that won them the game. The shots eventually started falling, the D started being effective and it turned into a good, tough W.

Last edited:

The first ten minutes was really hard to watch, nothing was falling, it looked like it could get ugly...again.

Then Fran evidently challenged them in the huddle to stop playing timid. They came out and started scratching and clawing and it was the scratching and clawing that won them the game. The shots eventually started falling, the D started being effective and it turned into a good, tough W.

This right on.

The first ten minutes were really hard to watch, nothing was falling, it looked like it could get ugly...again.

The announcers stated during the time out Fran was very spirited with his players. Of course that is the correct language to use on national TV. Off Mike (Fran is ripping his players a new asshole) :D

So much good in that one it’s hard to know where to start.

-Garza was terrific obviously inside, but two huge threes, drew a charge and was active on defense (still got beat a few times, but solid for him).

-JBo was a true PG tonight in this one folks. Got in the lane a few times driving scores. Drew a huge foul on their big guy. Drive and kicked a couple times. Terrific game and he didn’t even have his shot.

-Joe W. Let’s just hope we get to watch this kid in the tournament for 4 years, he’s special.

-Cook. My take on him might be different than some. He couldn’t make shit but he was playing hard, that’s all I want from him, play hard. The bunnies will start falling.

-Baer was Baer which is great (outside of two dumb turnovers).

-Several others stepped up as well.
Jbo driving to the lane consistently was huge. Its been missing from his game.
The Garza charge was monumental. On radio they said it was a bang bang play. We made our move shortly thereafter.

The way defenses have been adjusting to us, driving lanes have been available. Even for someone like JBo. Joe has been taking it to the rack again as of late, like he did the middle of the season.

The 1st 10 minutes we looked like a team full of guys making their 1st NCAA appearance. About then I said to my wife “If we can get it to 7 at the half we’re going to win.”