Howe: Hawkeyes Close In on Fantastic Finish After Silencing Illinois

-------Sounds like you listen to the national media and can't form your own opinion.

WoW....you do not know me very well. ESPN sucks!!!

I've not been a Greg Davis fan from Day 1. I would not have issue with him being replaced as I don't think his philosophy meshes with KF, who will always have a big hand in the offense.

Maybe Brian would work well with his dad. I don't know. I think chances are good that there's a better fit than GD, though.

If Iowa goes 9-4, however, I think it will be GD's choice. I don't think KF fires him. That's what I think based on history, not what I know, however.

Greg Davis seems to have an awful hard time finding receivers that have success under his system. At least at Iowa. VandeBerg seems to be the only one that has truly thrived for multiple years in GD's system. Tevaun Smith might have had quite a senior year had he not had ongoing injury issues. But who knows. Underclassmen receivers have been uniformly ineffective under Davis. Is there that much of a learning curve? KOK didn't seem to have to have quite this much of a problem getting new guys up to speed. Am I just imagining there is an issue here?

Turning it around in year one is the exception, not the rule. What don't you get about that? For the dozen examples you can give of a program being turned around in the first year I can give you 120 examples of programs that take more than a year to improve if they improve at all.

I was all in on a new coach after '14 because of his recent results. You would have to be a total freaking idiot to fire a guy after he went 12-2 the year before.
And for your 120 examples I could find a gazillion trillion examples of...blah blah...what an argument you make. My goodness, I bet your boyfriend never tries to argue with you given your grasp of logical fallacies. I'll continue to call a spade a spade and you can be a closet apologist for the amazing offensive production we've seen this season and will continue to see for the next ten years. I just can't wait to see another 5'10 receiver with blazing 5.5 speed streak down the field in what will appear to be slow motion.

And for your 120 examples I could find a gazillion trillion examples of...blah blah...what an argument you make. My goodness, I bet your boyfriend never tries to argue with you given your grasp of logical fallacies. I'll continue to call a spade a spade and you can be a closet apologist for the amazing offensive production we've seen this season and will continue to see for the next ten years. I just can't wait to see another 5'10 receiver with blazing 5.5 speed streak down the field in what will appear to be slow motion.

I've led the charge around here to get rid of Greg Davis starting in year 1. I have been consistent in saying his schemes are a terribly bad fit at Iowa.

I'm simply pointing out the math of it all. By a wide margin, when teams make a coaching change, the new coach doesn't turn the program around immediately. It is simply a fact, so don't act like a cry baby just because you don't like the facts. I bet you would have told us after Hayden's 3 win season that it get immediately better......Well guess what, it took until year 3 to get more than 3 wins again, but then got much better after that. That is what happens the majority of the time.

Greg Davis seems to have an awful hard time finding receivers that have success under his system. At least at Iowa. VandeBerg seems to be the only one that has truly thrived for multiple years in GD's system. Tevaun Smith might have had quite a senior year had he not had ongoing injury issues. But who knows. Underclassmen receivers have been uniformly ineffective under Davis. Is there that much of a learning curve? KOK didn't seem to have to have quite this much of a problem getting new guys up to speed. Am I just imagining there is an issue here?

That's supposedly why Bobby Kennedy was brought in. His history with Davis was going to make it easier because they'd be on the same page. It's more than one factor affecting WR. We've had attrition at the position, we've not recruited it well, we've not developed it, the route tree is screwy, pass pro has been shaky and C.J. hasn't connected with most of them.

I don't see a quick fix. MVB coming back next year will certainly boost the position. But then you've got a new QB stepping in.

That's supposedly why Bobby Kennedy was brought in. His history with Davis was going to make it easier because they'd be on the same page. It's more than one factor affecting WR. We've had attrition at the position, we've not recruited it well, we've not developed it, the route tree is screwy, pass pro has been shaky and C.J. hasn't connected with most of them.

I don't see a quick fix. MVB coming back next year will certainly boost the position. But then you've got a new QB stepping in.

Thanks. A lot of that has been touched on here and there in the forum, but so much hyperbole gets thrown around here in place of facts that it makes my head swim.

One thing I will throw in there is a major reassessment of what Iowa's offense lost from last year. Last year they had three upperclassmen wide receivers (two seniors), three upperclassmen tight ends (two seniors), two senior blocking fullbacks, a senior center and guard. This year they started out with one experienced senior at receiver, one experience senior at tight end, and a new center.

Coming into fall camp I think most of us expected the juniors and sophomores to step in. Injuries in fall camp hit the potential replacements at both tight end and receiver. Than as the season progresses they lose their #1 receiver and tight end. Like most second tier schools Iowa doesn't have depth everywhere. You have to have a bit of luck with who the "next man in" is.

That being said, Iowa has been noticeably thinner on talent since 2010 than in the previous decade. There hasn't been as much talent in the pipeline, and any problems in player development hurt the team even more.

Most Iowa fans would be thrilled with an 8-4 record, knocking off #2 and #17 (if it happens). A victory against Michigan or Nebraska always makes an Iowa season special. We have already defeated Michigan and certainly have a puncher's chance against Nebraska

Retire Greg Derpus and pay PJ Fleck $3 million a year to be OC until kf retires then he can be head coach for 6 million a year. There, easy solution.