Howe: Hawkeye Spring Practice Observations

Good info Rob.

I would add that Fant’s hands have always been a concern. He had a monster drop at UW that could have given us the lead and got the offense going in the 3Q. Had the big one in OT against NW. Kid has all the talent in the world but he definitely needs to clean up the drops.

OL is a work in progress, but leverage was better than last spring game, especially on 3rd downs.

More speed at WR, and it is obvious from last spring to this spring.

DL looks to have depth, and looks good, but awfully hard to tell as D is always ahead of O this early.

A lot of in scrimmage work of the O line.

Max Cooper stood out to me for the WR's. And I liked Kyshaun Bryan's speed, although as Rob mentioned he had a fumble. That will earn him zero playing time if it continues. Also thought that Peyton Mansell threw a very nice and accurate ball.

What I think with the passing is, it's close. Or way closer.
As Rob said, some drops are from wanting to run before the ball is secured and maybe even some fumbles fall in that area as well. The other thing that leads to that is the qb a receiver being slightly off.
Routes play an important part in this.
Both of which are better than last year and could be polished up before fall.
Then you could kind of tell in the interviews, even the older guys were pretty excited and wound up, even if it was a spring game. I think they are anxious to play. Which the summer and early fall can help with to. Because as these coaches have said, with some of them, we are just trying to get them to trust what we've taught you, trust your ability.

i just finished watching on btn2go. from what i saw, Daffney deserves a shot at slot reps. he catches everything and in traffic and seems quite athletic with an ability to catch the ball in traffic.

I posted my thoughts on one of the other threads, but, I will add that I was very impressed with Colbert.

He may be new to the LB position, but he looked like a natural. He's not getting much attention, but I could see him pushing for a starting spot.