Howe: Five Breakout Players for Hawkeyes in ’19

A quintette of Iowa guys poised for emergence:

LINK
Think Linderbaum should be in this mix. Maybe he’s taken for granted because he’s been anointed by Kirk. But if he just holds his own as a RS frosh at Center with this schedule, that’s got to be considered a notable breakout player.

Also, with the positive comments Nixon has been getting lately from the staff, he might be reconsidered as being on this list.

Think Linderbaum should be in this mix. Maybe he’s taken for granted because he’s been anointed by Kirk. But if he just holds his own as a RS frosh at Center with this schedule, that’s got to be considered a notable breakout player.

Also, with the positive comments Nixon has been getting lately from the staff, he might be reconsidered as being on this list.

I thought about Linderbaum. I think the future is bright for him. That said, I think there will be some growing pains. That's a really difficult position. It took time for guys like Daniels and Blythe. He'd be on my list if it went beyond five, just not in my top 5.

I mentioned Nixon. I think there will be an adjustment period for him as well, that's why I went with Lattimore. Nixon would be on an extended list.

Very happy to see Golston on there. He gets over-shadowed by A.J., but, I think he is poised for a huge season, particularly with teams diverting more attention to the other side.

I also was pleased to see Colbert's name. He doesn't get much press, which is too bad. His skill set is outstanding. I wouldn't be surprised a bit to see him eventually start at the next level.

I thought about Linderbaum. I think the future is bright for him. That said, I think there will be some growing pains. That's a really difficult position. It took time for guys like Daniels and Blythe. He'd be on my list if it went beyond five, just not in my top 5.

I mentioned Nixon. I think there will be an adjustment period for him as well, that's why I went with Lattimore. Nixon would be on an extended list.
BTW, really agree with your top pick, Golston. It would be a surprise if he isn’t a breakout player. Parker has said the DL is the strength of this D, and for that to be the case, Golston has to be the bookend for AJE.

But I tend to think to the team’s best potential. For the team to reach it’s ceiling offensively, Linderbaum has to breakout at C. If he doesn’t, it limits Stanley, consequently the WRs, consequently the RBs.

Man, if you're Nate Wieting, wouldn't you just love all this talk about how is Iowa going to replace two 1st round TEs?
Think about how fired up that makes him?
What a great opportunity.

It's not very often you get to use the word quintette.

Rather Rare

Of course, there is always The Hawaiian Quintette

d0a8e3554be203456ac44b2470497ba9--red-black-brochure.jpg

Truly a magnificent word

:cool:

Latest posts