Howe: Even on Off Night, Hawkeyes Show Toughness

Exact perspective on this game.

the mona lisa/fingerpaint likeness? Nice.

Most concerning was the defense played tonight and mental lapses. I hope it is not a sign of mental or physical fatigue beginning to set in. We have expended a lot of energy so far and rightfully so because our B1G schedule is brutal.

We play all of what appears to be the top 6 programs twice but Maryland but we go to Maryland that one time. By contrast Indiana plays only Iowa twice of the top 6, all others once.

Iowa doesn't win that game without Peter Jok, he was amazing last night. Gesell looked very sluggish and his shot (the few he took) didn't look normal, I hope he is alright. Defensively I was shocked at how easily Rutgers took it to the basket on Iowa, we won't be able to get away with that against Purdue & Maryland.

I'm excited for the Purdue game on Sunday and I bet this team is as well. Hopefully the student section is full and loud.

Well, Iowa was bound to have an off game. Good thing it was against Rutgers. But maybe the Hawks were playing to the level of their competition a bit as well. After a stretch of tough games, I would have expected a bit of a let down at some point. No one brings their A game every single game.

As mentioned above, just glad to have the W. If it was "mental fatigue", then hopefully last night's game helped to cure that a bit. Better bring it the next two games, though!

Iowa doesn't win that game without Peter Jok, he was amazing last night. Gesell looked very sluggish and his shot (the few he took) didn't look normal, I hope he is alright. Defensively I was shocked at how easily Rutgers took it to the basket on Iowa, we won't be able to get away with that against Purdue & Maryland.

I'm excited for the Purdue game on Sunday and I bet this team is as well. Hopefully the student section is full and loud.

On Fran's post game radio interview last night he mentioned that Mike was playing with a hamstring strain/pull and it's limited him a bit and they saw that in his shooting. I think they played a lot of zone after they saw that he couldn't defend in man to man like he normally does.

On Fran's post game radio interview last night he mentioned that Mike was playing with a hamstring strain/pull and it's limited him a bit and they saw that in his shooting. I think they played a lot of zone after they saw that he couldn't defend in man to man like he normally does.

Certainly explains! Need to rest him, then. Purdue's guards aren't that good, so, Sapp and Williams can run point. Need all of Mikey against Trimble.

Thanks, that explains why his shooting looked weird. That is not good news at all, playing through a hamstring issue is no fun.

We've played our worst against Nebraska and Rutgers and still won. That's the way to do it.

MGs game and Uhls (well Uhls might be half chalked up to trying too hard coming home) were the only ones that kinda made me scratch my head. Everyone else at the offensive end were rock stars. Clemmons was aggressive and those guys were a good matchup for him. We needed him to play well that first half. The defensive end and rebounding sure left me with a bad taste in my mouth and I'm sure it'll give Fran some tape to coach them up with. But overall they took care of business. Chalk it up to it being a bit of a sandwich game on the road and playing to the level of their competition. To still win by 14 and it never really felt in doubt to me in the last 10 mins of game is a great enough result to me. Bring on Purdue

off night and sandwiched between rough parts of the schedule.

If I was a betting man, I would have taken Rutgers and the 23 pts. They were embarrassed their previous game and teams usually give it their all after that happens, we had to travel to New Jersey, we've come off a few big wins, it's a sandwich game, etc...

That is concerning. Brings flashbacks to 2014. Well, too early to worry about that I guess.

Latest posts