Howe Column: Iowa Football Players Feeling Freedom to Be Themselves

I hope that whatever comes out of this entire process, it brings the team together and everyone grows and learns from it, coaches and players. It sounds as if that has already started. If played the right way, this could be a plus in recruiting and in building the team up.

I hope a couple posters can learn to respect what a great person KF is and stop painting him as this racist Monster.

You just don't get it. Wish some posters understood human dignity and would think past their own human needs. Wish they understood the difference between blatant racism and covert racism. Wish they understood abuse of humans and abuse of power and that the world will turn without a Ferentz. Wish they understood most employees are fired for much less actions.

I hope that whatever comes out of this entire process, it brings the team together and everyone grows and learns from it, coaches and players. It sounds as if that has already started. If played the right way, this could be a plus in recruiting and in building the team up.

It could be used as a plus in recruiting, however the flip side of that is that it's going to be used against us by every program that we are in a recruiting battle with. I just don't know if the potential positives will be enough to outweigh or simply hold up against the negative recruiting campaigns that will come as a result of this.

So...if I'm understanding this correctly and reading the situation right...Kirk Ferentz is making changes that people are buying into. He's admitting mistakes have been made, by him and by his coaches, and working to atone for them. He's taking responsibility for his actions...and putting a systematic process in place to make sure all players have a voice. It's all out in the open...and they are having independent review (ok...not sure how independent it is when the Athletic Dept. is paying for it) of the program. It's more important what the players are saying than what a law firm says.

All hail Captain Kirk.

It could be used as a plus in recruiting, however the flip side of that is that it's going to be used against us by every program that we are in a recruiting battle with. I just don't know if the potential positives will be enough to outweigh or simply hold up against the negative recruiting campaigns that will come as a result of this.
I don't disagree. Other schools will use this information to put us in a negative light. I do think there will opportunities for those who are willing to listen. And, as it has always been and will continue to be, Iowa won't be for everyone.

Well, opposing coaches can no longer say that our strength and conditioning coach put 13 guys in the hospital. So we got that going for us, which is nice.