Howe: Can the Iowa Basketball Season Be Saved?

Centers protect the rim and are more consistent with their shots. A great center like Garza consistently scores because he shoots closer to the basket so his percentage doesn't fluctuate as much from day to day. Maybe the saying came to be because great centers are hard to find. But once a team has one, he's just as important as a great guard.
I agree mostly, give me a Great Guards with a Great Center with at least average forwards.

Or give me a Great Guards, Great Forwards, and an average center.

I think we currently have a collection of below average guards for one reason or another, a great center, and average forwards. We have guards that at times can shoot well, but can't defend. We have other guards that can defend better, but don't bring offense.

But, I also think (sadly because I thought Fran talked a very, very, good game especially when he first got here and his inbound plays use to be a thing of beauty) we have a below average bench coach and likely practice coach as well. The system is prettier to look at compared to Lickliter and probably Alford....but take away the lipstick, hair dye and wonder bra, and it is a C- student.

They don't have a Matt Painter on the sidelines that can coach them up in their areas of weakness. That is also a big factor.

Last edited:
I may misunderstood Rob’s write up. Losing sucks. No way can we just ignore the last 20+ years of gut punches.

But teams get hot. Not having CJ is really hurting us. We have the POY. And...Rob said it in code...the grabbing and hacking going on in conference play won’t fly in the NCAA. That’s my take aways.

I agree mostly, give me a Great Guards with a Great Center with at least average forwards.

Or give me a Great Guards, Great Forwards, and an average center.

I think we currently have a collection of below average guards for one reason or another, a great center, and average forwards. We have guards that at times can shoot well, but can't defend. We have other guards that can defend better, but don't bring offense.

But, I also think (sadly because I thought Fran talked a very, very, good game especially when he first got here and his inbound plays use to be a thing of beauty) we have a below average bench coach and likely practice coach as well. The system is prettier to look at compared to Lickliter and probably Alford....but take away the lipstick, hair dye and wonder bra, and it is a C- student.

They don't have a Matt Painter on the sidelines that can coach them up in their areas of weakness. That is also a big factor.
I think this is the biggest thing for me. In his tenure at Iowa defense has been Fran’s biggest deficit. Fran McCaffrey-coached teams consistently rank near the bottom in team defense categories.

It’s apparent he can’t coach it. But apparently he has no one on the staff who can, either,

I think this is the biggest thing for me. In his tenure at Iowa defense has been Fran’s biggest deficit. Fran McCaffrey-coached teams consistently rank near the bottom in team defense categories.

It’s apparent he can’t coach it. But apparently he has no one on the staff who can, either,
Totally agree. Horrible, horrible defense.

Guard play wins in college. We have really good forwards and always have,
We have a team of Garza and mostly "catch and shoot" players. IMO, only JT and K. Murray (perhaps Perkins and Uhlis) seem to be able to create their own shot (JW sometimes). This is severely limiting when our point guard isn't all that adept at shooting the rock. If 2 of our "shooters" are having an off night (and this seems to be the story lately), there is only 1 other scorer on the floor besides Luka. 2 scorers against 5 scorers ain't gonna cut it.
Everyone knows playing a zone defense yields more offensive rebounds to our opponent is a killer. But my God! giving 10, 12, 14 a game??? Fran, keep your damn guards in and sit them if they don't block out! They're not shooting worth a damn anyway and did we get ANY fast-break points vs IND? I think it time Perkins, Uhlis, and JT got more minutes.
And what the hell is wrong with Nunge?? I cringe every time he loads up from distance.

Latest posts