Howe: Can the Iowa Basketball Season Be Saved?

Ah yes the mystery of Fran McCaffrey's in game rotations...sitting Luka on the bench for 10 minutes and the late season swoon yet again...coaching baby pure and simple.

I do agree with you Rob anything short of a second weekend appearance is a system wide failure (not for the kids per se because they do put it out there and try and achieve what's been coached into them). Where do you see us if we only win 1 maybe 2 more games this season? Still in the dance?

I agree, Sweet 16 or bust this year. Anything less is really a dismal failure considering what this team was supposed to be.

If this team tumbles to a 7 seed yet again just to get ushered out after yet another second round game.. I will not be a happy camper. For me, this would be almost in the same territory as Alford's 2001-02 team being preseason Top 10 and losing in the NIT first round. Yes, I would be THAT disappointed in the season if it plays out this way.

This goes back even further than 1999 for me. I spent most of the time since 1988 pining for a return to the Sweet 16. Thank you Tom Davis for doing that at least one more time in '99. But, that 1989 team would've been almost a sure thing for a Sweet 16, but, Ray Thompson. As would the 1993 team, but, Chris Street. The 2001 team? Maybe, maybe not, but, Luke Recker's knee. That team was tied for first in the B10 mid-way through the season, and ranked Top 15 when that happened. The list goes on and on.

ONE Sweet 16 in 33 years. Unacceptable. As pointed out above, I don't put all of this on our coaches. There's been some really crappy luck. But, there's also been some pretty crappy basketball in stretches. It's time for someone to deliver. Human beings only live so long, and I'd like to see a special season at least once more in my lifetime.

Last edited:
I agree, Sweet 16 or bust this year. Anything less is really a dismal failure considering what this team was supposed to be.

If this team tumbles to a 7 seed yet again just to get ushered out after yet another second round game.. I will not be a happy camper. For me, this would be almost in the same territory as Alford's 2001-02 team being preseason Top 10 and losing in the NIT first round. Yes, I would be THAT disappointed in the season if it plays out this way.

This goes back even further than 1999 for me. I spent most of the time since 1988 pining for a return to the Sweet 16. Thank you Tom Davis for doing that at least one more time in '99. But, that 1989 team would've been almost a sure thing for a Sweet 16, but, Ray Thompson. As would the 1993 team, but, Chris Street. The 2001 team? Maybe, maybe not, but, Luke Recker's knee. That team was tied for first in the B10 mid-way through the season, and ranked Top 15 when that happened. The list goes on and on.

ONE Sweet 16 in 33 years. Unacceptable. As pointed out above, I don't put all of this on our coaches. There's been some really crappy luck. But, there's also been some pretty crappy basketball in stretches. It's time for someone to deliver. Human beings only live so long, and I'd like to see a special season at least once more in my lifetime.

Ray Thompson being declared ineligible the night before traveling to the opening NCAA game was disastrous

Ray was our best perimeter defender, and he could have held Rodney Monroe below his scoring average rather than having a career scoring game

Hunter Rawlings and the Sport's Agent situation and all.....

Last edited:
Rutgers is tough and they play good defense. I will feel more optimistic moving forward if we can beat them a second time. I would love to see Iowa put their recent struggles behind them and come out looking like a well oiled machine. Having CJ back would help. We are at our best when we have Garza and the three assassins (Bohannon, Weiskamp, CJ) to space the floor.

It speaks volumes on we are asking how the season can be saved in Year 11. Doesn't it?
It only speaks volumes if you think every year of a coaches tenure should be getter than the previous. Most people understand that the ride is more like a roller coaster, not a steady climb up forever. It also helps to have some context on what "salvage the season" means. In this case, it means the goals of conference and national titles isn't going to happen. I'm not sure how that speaks any volumes for year 11.

This may get me banned here but I'm going to say it and suffer the consequences. You want an idea why Iowa plays such poor defense, can't stop a driving point guard or disrupt shots from the perimeter, it's right there are the top of Rob's column. These are not the athletic players Fran needs to have on the floor to stop the hemorrhaging when opponents score at will, as they lately seem to do. Unfortunately, Fran either is unable to recruit that type of player or has another agenda for not giving the ones he does more minutes.

Attachments

• 1612829805596.png
    1612829805596.png
    523.4 KB · Views: 2
It's a sliding scale. The more the regular season unravels, the more it seems like you have to do in the post season(I am including the conference tournament).

It only speaks volumes if you think every year of a coaches tenure should be getter than the previous. Most people understand that the ride is more like a roller coaster, not a steady climb up forever. It also helps to have some context on what "salvage the season" means. In this case, it means the goals of conference and national titles isn't going to happen. I'm not sure how that speaks any volumes for year 11.
Year 11. Best player in college basketball. A veteran team. How can we save the season? Year 11 mirroring most years.

Troublesome.....especially if you are looking for a special season....or that one signature season for Fran at Iowa.

Season is not over and they can still make a go of it, but they need to get their shit together fast. But, with below average bench coaching and if we are honest guard play as well...maybe it does not happen no matter how much we want it to happen.

Last edited:
Year 11. Best player in college basketball. A veteran team. How can we save the season? Year 11 mirroring most years.

Troublesome.....especially if you are looking for a special season....or that one signature season for Fran at Iowa.

Season is not over and they can still make a go of it, but they need to get their shit together fast. But, with below average bench coaching and if we are honest guard play as well...maybe it does not happen no matter how much we want it to happen.
I just don't think it's relevant what year it is anymore. Maybe it matters when it's year 3 or 5 of something. But this has been Fran's team for too long to matter. He's eventually gunna have a down year again. When he does, who cares what year it happens in unless you think down years should never happen.

I just don't think it's relevant what year it is anymore. Maybe it matters when it's year 3 or 5 of something. But this has been Fran's team for too long to matter. He's eventually gunna have a down year again. When he does, who cares what year it happens in unless you think down years should never happen.
Of course I think down years happen and it would be unrealistic to not believe that otherwise. But, this year should not be one of them. Even if they are not exactly final four material, if they don't make the Sweet 16, if they have no title in the Big Ten to show for, it feels like another kick in the nuts.

But you can't have to many down years or you are going to get fired at some point for performance in big time college basketball (or NBA). Which we know.

Look at it this way....he has been here 11 years and nothing has been particularly spectacular about it in terms of top end accomplishment. But, he did do the program a great service by lifting out of the graveyard.

But, the general consensus was this is his best team. Best player in college basketball and a veteran team. And they look like a 7 seed at the moment.

Again, I don't think Fran should be fired.....he is likely going to have his program in the tournament for 3 straight years. I think Iowa should be able to have their teams in the NCAAs 3 out of every 4 years on average basis. I think that is reasonable.

Last edited:
I wonder why people think this. It's like someone said it once and people thought it sounded cool so it became a thing. Why would a great guard be more important than a great center? It makes no sense to me.
Because the guards usually sets up the offense, gets the ball up court, breakdown presses, etc. Kind of the QBs on court and with kids being in love with the 3 point shot now and days.....the kids have to hit them and guard them.

I think a great center and forwards are also important. They are all important, but it seems a lot of games are won and lost at the point of attack and the style of ball being played.

If you trade 2s for a lot of made 3s....you could be in trouble.

Garza scoring a bunch has not saved us from the other team knocking down double-digit 3s made in a lot of our losses.

Of course I think down years happen and it would be unrealistic to not believe that otherwise. But, this year should not be one of them. Even if they are not exactly final four material, if they don't make the Sweet 16, if they do title in the Big Ten to show for, it feels like another kick in the nuts.

But you can't have to many down years or you are going to get fired at some point for performance in big time college basketball (or NBA). Which we know.

Look at it this way....he has been here 11 years and nothing has been particularly spectacular about it in terms of top end accomplishment. But, he did do the program a great service by lifting out of the graveyard.

But, the general consensus was this is his best team. Best player in college basketball and a veteran team. And they look like a 7 seed at the moment.

Again, I don't think Fran should be fired.....he is likely going to have his program in the tournament for 3 straight years. I think Iowa should be able to have their teams in the NCAAs 3 out of every 4 years on average basis. I think that is reasonable.
Pretty much agree. But these last 8 games or so are going to have to go really bad for this to be considered a down year. It will be looked at as a missed opportunity tho.

This may get me banned here but I'm going to say it and suffer the consequences. You want an idea why Iowa plays such poor defense, can't stop a driving point guard or disrupt shots from the perimeter, it's right there are the top of Rob's column. These are not the athletic players Fran needs to have on the floor to stop the hemorrhaging when opponents score at will, as they lately seem to do. Unfortunately, Fran either is unable to recruit that type of player or has another agenda for not giving the ones he does more minutes.
That shouldn't get you banned. We are weak on defense and have been for quite a while. If you look at who we beat this year it's not that impressive of a list. Other teams have figured out this team's weakness and are exploiting it. When Fran subs in a more defensive lineup with Perkins,Joe T, Ullis as guards the threat of scoring from these players so far has not been good. I really think the CJ injury, Fran's sometimes wacky rotations, and overall poor defense has been the perfect storm for the downfall. I'd like to either Joe T. or Perkins get in early for CMac and let them play some extended minutes. CMac has struggled lately and this lineup needs a shakeup. The question is will Fran do it??

Because the guards usually sets up the offense, gets the ball up court, breakdown presses, etc. Kind of the QBs on court and with kids being in love with the 3 point shot now and days.....the kids have to hit them and guard them.

I think a great center and forwards are also important. They are all important, but it seems a lot of games are won and lost at the point of attack and the style of ball being played.

If you trade 2s for a lot of made 3s....you could be in trouble.

Garza scoring a bunch has not saved us from the other team knocking down double-digit 3s made in a lot of our losses.
Centers protect the rim and are more consistent with their shots. A great center like Garza consistently scores because he shoots closer to the basket so his percentage doesn't fluctuate as much from day to day. Maybe the saying came to be because great centers are hard to find. But once a team has one, he's just as important as a great guard.

Pretty much agree. But these last 8 games or so are going to have to go really bad for this to be considered a down year. It will be looked at as a missed opportunity tho.
Yes, for sure. I got think PC these guys will pull something together. I mean they have decent shot at winning at least half of them just based off their talent vs our talent.

But, if somehow they lost out and missed the tournament, I think Fran will be gone in the next 1 to 2 years. Either fired (I think that would have to be 2 really bad years though), or he jumps ship like Alfraud did. The chances of this would increase exponentially if we got a new AD.

Though I forget how much is left on his contract....and if there is a lot left and he has them post-season eligible (NIT) he is not getting fired even if we wanted him to be. Especially if Barta is still the AD.

Latest posts