How would you like to see us defend ball control passing spread offenses?

briankaldenberg

I'd just like teo changes:

1. Mediocre bump and run on the edges taking away the slant and the 6-8 yard stop routes near the sidelines. This is too easy of a pass and it is too easy of a view for the quarterback. The chance of the dline deflecting the pass is slim. The chance of an INT is slim. TAKE THIS AWAY against spread passing ball control offenses.

Keep your safety help over the top and if they want to throw the sideline route it is going to have to be a perfect pass in between the safety and the DB and the DB has to get beaten.

Or they can run a deep stop, but atleast that forces the QB to hand onto the ball longer than 2 seconds and complete a much more difficult throw.

Allow the 6-8 yard curl but force it to be in the middle 3rd of the field... Less vision for QB, much better chance for dline to deflect pass, much better chance to INT a poor throw or a tipped pass.

2. Beg them to run the football at times. Tilt the field into your favor by making them do what they don't want to do. Go Nickel or even Dime and beg them to run at times. If they pass, then atleast you're in nickel and you can better defend the pass.

Great points, while I think we have great LB's it does ask too much for them to be covering WR's all the time and they just cant stay with them.

How about not matching up linebackers on wide receivers?

If we don't get a great push with our front four, we have backers running down the field with receivers. Most teams have to gameplan a scheme in order to exploit a mismatch, whereas that is simply what we do on every play.

I understand we want to keep things in front of us and tackle well, but we need more speed on the field to combat the amount of receivers on the field. Not to mention I never see a 'backer hold a receiver up on the line of scrimmage. It's usually a weak attempt at a jam.

To your first point, how many throws did Persa make from the far hash to the near sideline (or vice versa) for short gains? That ball has to be in the air for a really long time to get there before the defense, and on some of them, we still hadn't gotten to the receiver. Baffling...

Latest posts