How will Pat McCaffery compare to Wieskamp?

IowaTeddy

Curious for the opinion of Iowa HS basketball fans and experts. These two are very similarly rated by the big recruiting services (247, ESPN), they seem to play somewhat similar positions, and have roughly the same physical stature. From watching Joe this year, and highlights of Pat, I would estimate that Wieskamp is the better shooter, while McCaffery's game is a little bit closer to the basket?

What do you think we can expect from young McCaffery next year? Will he red-shirt and try to put on some weight? Will he contribute right away?

I expect Pat to be a Baer-like player a little bit of a do it all type of guy. He is going to be in the right place at the right time and be smart like you expect from a coaches kid. He is apparently up to 6'9" now, but obviously still a bit too lean. He is long, and skilled, not the athlete or shooter that Joe is.

I expect Pat to be a Baer-like player a little bit of a do it all type of guy. He is going to be in the right place at the right time and be smart like you expect from a coaches kid. He is apparently up to 6'9" now, but obviously still a bit too lean. He is long, and skilled, not the athlete or shooter that Joe is.
Larry Bird esque

I think he'll get to the FT line a lot and will be good at those. I agree his game will be more similar to Baers than JWs. He can handle the ball some but he'll be asked to play where JW does on the press more I bet with his long lanky frame. Unless Nunge is. He really needs to put on 25 lbs bad though for the next level. Maybe more He's gonna get pushed around out there big time.

Joe was considerably better last year than Patrick was last year. No idea how much Patrick has improved because I haven't seen him this year.

Last year it was obvious that Joe was going to be arguably the best player on the team this year. I doubt that will he the case with Patrick. I think best case scenario is he is comparable to White as a freshman (which is damn good). If that's the case, Joe should take over the starting 2 and Patrick should be the starting 3. No way that would happen tho. Fran has had a lot of reasons to take Moss out of the starting lineup over the last couple years and hasn't done it. No way he does it for his own son unless it is blatantly obvious that he should.

Joe was considerably better last year than Patrick was last year. No idea how much Patrick has improved because I haven't seen him this year.

Last year it was obvious that Joe was going to be arguably the best player on the team this year. I doubt that will he the case with Patrick. I think best case scenario is he is comparable to White as a freshman (which is damn good). If that's the case, Joe should take over the starting 2 and Patrick should be the starting 3. No way that would happen tho. Fran has had a lot of reasons to take Moss out of the starting lineup over the last couple years and hasn't done it. No way he does it for his own son unless it is blatantly obvious that he should.
I would like to see him take a redshirt and beef up, get ready for the wars ahead, or he will be drained like a worn out Diehard over the course of the Big Ten.

I would like to see him take a redshirt and beef up, get ready for the wars ahead, or he will be drained like a worn out Diehard over the course of the Big Ten.

Some people are really strong skinny guys (as in strong for their size). For all we know, Patrick will be better suited at a skinnier weight than Baer was as a freshman.

Being bigger and stronger is a big advantage in basketball obviously. But that doesn't mean skinny guys can't have the game that makes them extremely effective, regardless of their weight disadvantage.

Wieskamp has been ready for college B-ball for a couple of years, which he has proven this season.

Pmac’s rating is based on potential. If it all comes together he could be a very rare 6’9 player who can handle it, pass, and shoot, both inside and out, but right now he is rail thin with a below average outside shot.

My hope is that Pmac redshirts and continues to bulk up and work on his shot. If he doesn’t redshirt my expectations for his production would be a high energy player off the bench used for short spurts. Nothing more.

Curious for the opinion of Iowa HS basketball fans and experts. These two are very similarly rated by the big recruiting services (247, ESPN), they seem to play somewhat similar positions, and have roughly the same physical stature. From watching Joe this year, and highlights of Pat, I would estimate that Wieskamp is the better shooter, while McCaffery's game is a little bit closer to the basket?

What do you think we can expect from young McCaffery next year? Will he red-shirt and try to put on some weight? Will he contribute right away?

I disagree on the "roughly same physical stature" comparison. Joe, while not Mr. Universe, is pretty well built for a true freshman....which has been pretty evident on his drives to the hoops in conference play. Guys try to bump him hard, which typically works against true freshmen....but he's able to play thru contact and make the bucket while getting fouled....or simply make the bucket when the refs invariably swallow their whistle.

Patrick, on the other hand, is going to get pushed around pretty hard I'm afraid if he plays as a true freshman.

Wieskamp has been ready for college B-ball for a couple of years, which he has proven this season.

Pmac’s rating is based on potential. If it all comes together he could be a very rare 6’9 player who can handle it, pass, and shoot, both inside and out, but right now he is rail thin with a below average outside shot.

My hope is that Pmac redshirts and continues to bulk up and work on his shot. If he doesn’t redshirt my expectations for his production would be a high energy player off the bench used for short spurts. Nothing more.

It's so easy to assume he will struggle and the reasons for the assumption are sound, but imagine if he does come in playing like a top 40 guy like Wieskamp did. Imagine if he improves our team next year as much as Wieskamp improved it this year. I think the odds are against it, but if it happens, we will be really good. And if it happens, we will be really really good for the next few years.

It's so easy to assume he will struggle and the reasons for the assumption are sound, but imagine if he does come in playing like a top 40 guy like Wieskamp did. Imagine if he improves our team next year as much as Wieskamp improved it this year. I think the odds are against it, but if it happens, we will be really good. And if it happens, we will be really really good for the next few years.
That thought has definitely crossed my mind. Would be awesome, I just don’t see it happening right away.

I’d look for Joe T to make more of an impact next year, but I’m not sure where his minutes come from.

There will be a lot of stuff to sort out in the offseason (Cook pro?, Transfers, Cmac plan), but I’m just kind of enjoying this unexpected ride right now.

That thought has definitely crossed my mind. Would be awesome, I just don’t see it happening right away.

I’d look for Joe T to make more of an impact next year, but I’m not sure where his minutes come from.

There will be a lot of stuff to sort out in the offseason (Cook pro?, Transfers, Cmac plan), but I’m just kind of enjoying this unexpected ride right now.

I don't expect it either. But man there are some possible scenarios that could make us really good next year. Cook coming back, Patrick being a legit top 30 player, lots of seniors playing like seniors, Wiskamp taking a big step. Joe T being a baller who fills a role we need bad, Nunge being the real deal. There are always things a fan can look to for hope, but it seems like there are more possibilities than normal next year. Some are really legit ones too.

I don't expect it either. But man there are some possible scenarios that could make us really good next year. Cook coming back, Patrick being a legit top 30 player, lots of seniors playing like seniors, Wiskamp taking a big step. Joe T being a baller who fills a role we need bad, Nunge being the real deal. There are always things a fan can look to for hope, but it seems like there are more possibilities than normal next year. Some are really legit ones too.
Just for reference Pat is ranked:
96th by 247
68th by Rivals
58th by ESPN

Last edited:
Good stuff! Will be a season ticket guy again next year, and looking forward to seeing how this team evolves for 2019-20. Looks like there will be a lot of competition for playing time, for sure. We know JBO, JW, Luka, Moss, C.Mac, will get a lot of time. I see Kriener as a solid back up. I still think Nunge will be a solid player. Isn't he destined to move inside? Maybe Cordell takes over as a hustle guy for the Bear? Don't know where Dailey will fit in, but sure not giving up on him. I would like to see Patrick Red Shirt unless he shows early that he is ready for the BT.

Good stuff! Will be a season ticket guy again next year, and looking forward to seeing how this team evolves for 2019-20. Looks like there will be a lot of competition for playing time, for sure. We know JBO, JW, Luka, Moss, C.Mac, will get a lot of time. I see Kriener as a solid back up. I still think Nunge will be a solid player. Isn't he destined to move inside? Maybe Cordell takes over as a hustle guy for the Bear? Don't know where Dailey will fit in, but sure not giving up on him. I would like to see Patrick Red Shirt unless he shows early that he is ready for the BT.
Next year will be the opportunity year for Pemsl. Dailey, not, just don't see it.

Nunge might surprise, hope so.

Patrick has a few months to get stronger, even w/o the red-shirt. And if he doesn't red-shirt he will have the chance to develop and gain strength in a limited role. He is an "odd" player with length, and those players, even in limited minutes can cause problems for opponents.

Based solely on what I’ve seen this season and with what we think is returning next year, I just don’t see any minutes for Dailey anywhere in the mix.
Odds are high that both Pemsl and Nunge are gonna get their 5-10 each. Even if T Cook leaves I don’t see where Dailey would get any PT other than mop-up time.

Latest posts