How/why did you become a Hawkeye fan?

Born and raised in eastern Iowa. I remember the lean years listening to radio broadcast. Thank heavens for coach Fry, (saturdays are frydays), and coach Kirk F.

Grew up in a USC family. Went to Cal. Then decided to go to grad school and didn't want to try to afford to do it in Cali. Iowa was the top ranked program for what I wanted to study, so off to IOWA.

Got here in 2000. Did the 4 ticks, 4 sodas, 4 doggies for $40 deal they had during the early dark days of KF. Then it happened. What a ride!

Born in the University Hospital, went to University grade school, before it closed and grew up in Iowa City. Went to San Diego State University but there were as many Iowa people in San Diego than anywhere I have ever been. It's great to be a Hawkeye!!

Nah, it doesn't reject native Iowans. Vin is from the Grove o'er to Illinois. He's just trying to dig at Drake. Everybody knows Iowa's the safety school for all the kids from the Chicago 'burbs who can't get into Illinois.

I had several safety schools if Iowa derped me. Bradley, Drake, UNI (dad's alma mater).

Hey DundieAwardGuy, I "lived" in a Burge lounge (3200) for two weeks before I was permanently placed in Rienow. Lounge Life was a non-stop party. I think I drank more beer and smoked more weed in those two August 1983 weeks than I ever did before or have since. It was awesome.

I've lived in Iowa more than half my life.

After the dropoff from Evy, I remember enduring the infamous Bob Cummings and Francis X. Lauterbur (sic?). I know what it's like to be a Cubs fan.

I'm also a Yankees fan so I've jumped on my share of bandwagons.
I temporarily jumped ship to Iowa State when Earle Bruce was coach in the 1970's.

I had several safety schools if Iowa derped me. Bradley, Drake, UNI (dad's alma mater).

Hey DundieAwardGuy, I "lived" in a Burge lounge (3200) for two weeks before I was permanently placed in Rienow. Lounge Life was a non-stop party. I think I drank more beer and smoked more weed in those two August 1983 weeks than I ever did before or have since. It was awesome.

Man, I can't believe you couldn't get into Stanford!

I was unable to keep up with SEC speed so unfortunately I became a Hawkeye fan. Actually I'm Herky's illegitimate love child. I was born a Hawk fan.

Born into a Hawkeye family. I remember listening to Z on Saturday afternoons(Ray Nagel days) and then getting up early Sunday mornings to deliver the DM Register in Fort Dodge - and trying to see the frame by frame photos of the scoring plays in the Big Peach! Couldn't wait to get home to spread that paper out to see all those great photos.
Wife and I both Hawkeye grads and now two daughters enrolled there. The tradition continues. GO HAWKS!

Born into a Hawkeye family. I remember listening to Z on Saturday afternoons(Ray Nagel days) and then getting up early Sunday mornings to deliver the DM Register in Fort Dodge - and trying to see the frame by frame photos of the scoring plays in the Big Peach! Couldn't wait to get home to spread that paper out to see all those great photos.
Wife and I both Hawkeye grads and now two daughters enrolled there. The tradition continues. GO HAWKS!

Fort Dodge represent! Twin Lakes in the House! Big Peach.

You got a place out at Twin Lakes? My grand dad used to have one. Place kind of turned into a dump after my family started going. I hope it's nicer now.

Fort Dodge represent! Twin Lakes in the House! Big Peach.

You got a place out at Twin Lakes? My grand dad used to have one. Place kind of turned into a dump after my family started going. I hope it's nicer now.
Hey okeefe! Wife's family been here at Twin Lakes bince the 40's! You know Twin? And Fat Dog? Where was your Grandaddy's?

Graduated from Iowa. Parents didnt go or didnt finish college. Never considered going to another school. Have lived in Texas since 77. People sometimes ask me who do you pull for around here. My answer is no one. Just because I live here doesnt make me a UT or AM fan. Do like going to University of Houston games though. Bought season ticket this year mostly to save money and to sit with some friends. Although I like to see them do well its not loyalty or anything. Houston has never played Iowa in football. Once in basketball a long time ago. Houston games dont conflict with Iowa games(unless I go to an Iowa game) as a lot are played at night.

Its interesting a guy who comes to the Iowa game watches went to Iowa but went to University of Houston law school and has lived here since then. I asked him if he ever goes to UH games. His comment was once in a while, but its not the same as Iowa. A true statement.

We have a young guy at work who graduated recently from UH. I asked him if he went to UH games. He said no he is a UT fan. There is no way I could do that. UT and UH have played and there have some bitter issues.

Last edited:
My family was not a big sports family as far as rooting for teams; however, I have always been a great sports fan...you name it, baseball, tennis, whatever. My grandparents got the Des Moines Register when I was a kid in the 50s and early 60s. On Sunday I would go to their house to read about how Yankees did on Saturday. They always had a review of Iowa's bb/fb games in the Peach Section and it wasn't long before before I loved reading about Iowa on Sundays.

From about the age of 9 I used to listen to Iowa bb games with my uncle in his kitchen. He owned a tavern but he and I would go to the kitchen and listen to the game on the radio.

I used to have a small transistor radio that I listened to all games. I would have to turn it a specific way to catch the signal or go somewhere a little higher to get the signal. I would listen to Iowa games all by myself.

When I got my license, my cousin and I would take my parent's car and drive to Iowa City to go to bb games. They never knew about us doing that, and they knew everything we did in that small town.

So I guess I have always been an Iowa fan, ever since I can remember. I knew that one day I would GO to the University of Iowa. I never really wanted to go anywhere else.

I also don't think I knew ISU even existed until I was in my late teens. I cannot ever remember reading about them in the Peach.

As I grew into my teens, we would drive gravel roads on Saturdays or in the evenings and listen to fb and bb games (usually also involved beer). Even when I eventually went to Iowa, instead of getting football tickets, my friends and I would still drive around country roads drinking beer and listening to football games. UNTIL all the fb/bb games were shown on tv. Then we would go to each other's houses and watch games, drink beer and smoke pot. We would often go over to the stadium in the mornings and join in the festivities.

Grew up in IC, attended games regularly, collected beer cans under the bleachers and around the stadium for cash (smelling like stale beer at 10 years old....priceless), participated in stadium cleanup on Sunday am, snuck around facilities/ locker rooms, stormed the field after big wins (Nebraska 81, Mich State with roses covering the field, Michigan after Rob Hougtlin's (sp?) kick, emulated big plays on the front yard, sat in 2nd row season tix for several NCAA championship wrestling seasons.... many of my my childhood memories revolve around Iowa athletics.

born and raised in Iowa, I blame 69-70 Hawkeye BB, Downtown Freddy and JJ, plus Jim ZAbel, beat the Bear on sunday nights, started to sway in the 70's and then Lute and hayden brought me back

Born and raised. I'm named for Tork Hook, as he is an alum of my high school and a family friend. My sister is named for Chris Street, who was also a friend of the family. So being a Hawkeye has been in me from the moment I was born.

I got truly hooked on Hawkeye football in 2002 (7th grade). Unfortunately, the first game I saw that year was the Minnesota game. As a 12 year old kid, I was far too restless to sit in the same place for 3 hours. But since that game, I have either been at, seen on TV, or heard on the radio, all but one Hawkeye football game. The one I missed? Syracuse 2007. Had a date with a girl whose dad was REALLY protective and wouldn't let her date (we had to go out on a night when he wasn't home lol). But, I did try to catch the game during the movie that we went to. I sneaked my CD player/radio into the theater, and tried to tune in during the movie. No dice. But I tried :D

Born and raised. I'm named for Tork Hook, as he is an alum of my high school and a family friend. My sister is named for Chris Street, who was also a friend of the family. So being a Hawkeye has been in me from the moment I was born.

I got truly hooked on Hawkeye football in 2002 (7th grade). Unfortunately, the first game I saw that year was the Minnesota game. As a 12 year old kid, I was far too restless to sit in the same place for 3 hours. But since that game, I have either been at, seen on TV, or heard on the radio, all but one Hawkeye football game. The one I missed? Syracuse 2007. Had a date with a girl whose dad was REALLY protective and wouldn't let her date (we had to go out on a night when he wasn't home lol). But, I did try to catch the game during the movie that we went to. I sneaked my CD player/radio into the theater, and tried to tune in during the movie. No dice. But I tried :D

Hey Hook, you have a sister named "Street"? That's actually pretty cool!

When I was a kid, 10 years old? I went to UI hospitals for a surgery. I remember somebody touring us around the hospital and the grounds. We went across the street to Kinnick. The gates were open so we peeked in. Being a kid, I just charged right through the gates. There seemed to be no one around so the next thing I know I am down on the field. Looking up at all those seats was one of the most awesome sights I've ever seen. Still gives me chills thinking about it.
Been a Hawkeye ever since.

Latest posts