How to go from DVR to computer?

Oh, and why is this in the football forum? I understand that they're iowa football games, but this is really more aligned with the Off-Topic forum.

To go from the DVR to computer, all you need is an external hard drive and a USB cable to connect the two.

Not sure who you have for cable or satellite.

Through Dish it's a one time fee of something like $45 to activate that option on your dvr? I looked into it a while back but never pulled the trigger.

Another way, though a longer effort, is get a DVD burner and you can burn from the DVR to DVD. Then from DVD to the PC.

well I go to UNI and have CFU for a cable company. There's a USB port on my dvr but idk how to get it on my external hard drive.

To go from the DVR to computer, all you need is an external hard drive and a USB cable to connect the two.

Not sure who you have for cable or satellite.

Through Dish it's a one time fee of something like $45 to activate that option on your dvr? I looked into it a while back but never pulled the trigger.

Another way, though a longer effort, is get a DVD burner and you can burn from the DVR to DVD. Then from DVD to the PC.

With Dish network you can get an external drive and put your programs on there, but you can't just move them to your computer from the external drive. You need the dish network receiver to play the dish network programming. This is just a drive so you can keep your shows.

You can purchase certain things to move them with from Hauppauge. I use the Hauppauge HD PVR, as it is the only one that can move HD video. It takes up a lot of space, but I think it it worth it. HD PVR Product overview

I'm sure there are other products besides Hauppauge that do this, but I do know this one works as I use it.

With Dish network you can get an external drive and put your programs on there, but you can't just move them to your computer from the external drive. You need the dish network receiver to play the dish network programming. This is just a drive so you can keep your shows.

You can purchase certain things to move them with from Hauppauge. I use the Hauppauge HD PVR, as it is the only one that can move HD video. It takes up a lot of space, but I think it it worth it. HD PVR Product overview

I'm sure there are other products besides Hauppauge that do this, but I do know this one works as I use it.

Thanks for clarifying deanvogs as I wasn't aware that you needed something extra to move it off the external hd. Dish certainly didn't give that impression that's for sure.

Side tracking...what about from Direct TV DVR to DVD recorder? Are regular component cables all I need?

Side tracking...what about from Direct TV DVR to DVD recorder? Are regular component cables all I need?

Depends on the type of DVD recorder you have and input connections available.

I'm trying to remember my set up, could be wrong but I thought there were copyright consisderations on some models (limiting the ability to perfectly reproduce HD copies of things).

In saying that, with my dvd recorder model the only input connections are composite (red-yellow-white) or s-video, but have hd outputs (component and HDMI) for upconverting.

Last edited: