How Sports Reference rating service rates this Iowa team historically

What is the hurry. We should wait till the season is actually finished before we talk about history.

Also, last year we had 7 losses at this point, were ranked 5th, Garza was a for sure POY. Not even better than last year just yet. Historically anyhow. By the eye test this team is better than last year.

Why back to 1993? Alford's team was 11-5 big ten had 8 losses at this point and just about to win a BTT. Conference was deep then as well Michigan was 22-11 and 7th place. Two under .500 teams in the whole conference and NW barely at 14-15. Or what about 1995-96 Andre Woolridge/Jess Settles/ K. Murray/Kingsbury team ?

Of course the axiom about not counting your chickens applies. Don't jinx anything by placing this team in history already.

Last edited:
What is the hurry. We should wait till the season is actually finished before we talk about history.

Also, last year we had 7 losses at this point, were ranked 5th, Garza was a for sure POY. Not even better than last year just yet. Historically anyhow. By the eye test this team is better than last year.

Why back to 1993? Alford's team was 11-5 big ten had 8 losses at this point and just about to win a BTT. Conference was deep then as well Michigan was 22-11 and 7th place. Two under .500 teams in the whole conference and NW barely at 14-15. Or what about 1995-96 Andre Woolridge/Jess Settles/ K. Murray/Kingsbury team ?

Of course the axiom about not counting your chickens applies. Don't jinx anything by placing this team in history already.
It's an objective rating service. It compares teams year to year. Our rating for the season won't change very much, regardless of how we do the rest of the season. They are placing the team in the context of history, not me. I'm not equipped to do so.

I thought it was interesting, because very few people at the beginning of this season thought this team would make the NCAA tournament.

There is no such thing as a jinx.

I do agree that hopefully there is a lot of season left.

Without going back and reviewing all the Alford years, its hard to say for sure, but this seems off to me. There were certainly a couple teams that were higher seeds in the tourney than what we project. But, the computers sure like this team. I guess a couple good wins and no really bad losses is a good thing for 1s and 0s.

From a fan and eyeball test, last years team was better. We were ranked very high at different points last year, had the best player in the country and were upset before progressing to the Sweet 16. Maybe this year's team has more ceiling and is playing looser without expectations.

Without going back and reviewing all the Alford years, its hard to say for sure, but this seems off to me. There were certainly a couple teams that were higher seeds in the tourney than what we project. But, the computers sure like this team. I guess a couple good wins and no really bad losses is a good thing for 1s and 0s.

From a fan and eyeball test, last years team was better. We were ranked very high at different points last year, had the best player in the country and were upset before progressing to the Sweet 16. Maybe this year's team has more ceiling and is playing looser without expectations.
Last years team was less athletic and loses the actual real world eyeball test. Last years team on computer, rankings and such wins if your eyeballs are looking at the numbers :)

Certainly agree that it seems off. They seemed to be wanting to put more years in the "best since" thing. They overlooked at least 3 teams after 1993.

It's an objective rating service. It compares teams year to year. Our rating for the season won't change very much, regardless of how we do the rest of the season. They are placing the team in the context of history, not me. I'm not equipped to do so.

I thought it was interesting, because very few people at the beginning of this season thought this team would make the NCAA tournament.

JK on the Jinx thing but not on the historical thing. Still say relax enjoy it then come back later and do that. What is the rush before it even ends?

The season is far from over...so it's too early to give a final assessment compared to other complete seasons.

Rating won't change very much? Imagine the 1979-80 team's rating if you left out their Final Four run. Quite a difference. The rating may not change much, but it certainly could.

BTW, where's the link to the above referenced ratings?

The season is far from over...so it's too early to give a final assessment compared to other complete seasons.

Rating won't change very much? Imagine the 1979-80 team's rating if you left out their Final Four run. Quite a difference. The rating may not change much, but it certainly could.

BTW, where's the link to the above referenced ratings?
Agreed, that Earl team got bounced in the 2nd round against Wake Forest. Granted, Chris Street's untimely death hurt things (what could have been), but that team did take down the Fab 5 and played Duke awfully tough.

This team, if it makes the Sweet 16, will have gone farther than that team.

Last edited:
Agreed, that Earl team got bounced in the 2nd round against Wake Forest. Granted, Chris Street's untimely death hurt things (what could have been), but that team did take down the Fab 5 and played Duke awfully tough.

This team, if it makes the Sweet 16, will have gone farther than that team.
What could have been? That team with Street was Elite 8, minimum. They were arguably the best defensive team in the country before the tragedy.

Google Sports Reference College Basketball. It is an amazing set of statistics.

And yes, they ranked last year’s team higher.

Latest posts