How refreshing....

SpiderRico

It was announced today that Andy Kennedy, the head basketball coach at Ole Miss, will resign at the end of this season, his 12th, following a virtual guaranteed losing season this year. Some background:

Back in May 2017, Kennedy had 3 years left on his contract and the school had just signed 2 four-star prospects and a 3 star prospect....not to mention, they had just made the NCAAs and Kennedy had 10 consecutive non-losing seasons. However, the team had only made 2 NCAAs in Kennedy's tenure (along with making 2 NIT Final Fours). So rather than extend his head basketball coach, the AD decided to take a wait-and-see approach to this year. Lo and behold, the team didn't perform well at all, and instead of being tied up with a big extension and buyout, the AD held the cards and can now go find a new coach.

And all along I thought it was common place to just extend your coach when there was less than 4 years on his contract and jack-up the buyout to levels detrimental to the school and handcuffing the school from finding someone better.

Wow, so that's how it's done in the Big Boy World?!

Rebuilding year for Barta...
and working on his next contract extension and raise.

shutterstock_162854633.jpg

Yeah, I'm a little skeptical of that myself. If anything, it was probably mid-major offers.
I don't think there were any P5 programs actively looking to hire Fran away from Iowa. I think Gutless Gary already said that Fran had pursued the GA Tech job. A job that paid Josh Pastner 1.8 mil per year, which is considerably less than what Fran was getting before Gutless extended him last Nov. They did NOT offer him any more money, or he would have taken it. So, in Gutless Gary's mind, Fran looking around = better pony up the dough. Gutless threw that piece of red meat to the media and they gobbled it up, apparently. Because I have seen no follow up stories about the who, what, when, where, why and how much.
I'm tempted to send Gutless a letter demanding more money than my current salary, to see if that tard will send me a check and a contract. I don't even work for him.

It was announced today that Andy Kennedy, the head basketball coach at Ole Miss, will resign at the end of this season, his 12th, following a virtual guaranteed losing season this year. Some background:

Back in May 2017, Kennedy had 3 years left on his contract and the school had just signed 2 four-star prospects and a 3 star prospect....not to mention, they had just made the NCAAs and Kennedy had 10 consecutive non-losing seasons. However, the team had only made 2 NCAAs in Kennedy's tenure (along with making 2 NIT Final Fours). So rather than extend his head basketball coach, the AD decided to take a wait-and-see approach to this year. Lo and behold, the team didn't perform well at all, and instead of being tied up with a big extension and buyout, the AD held the cards and can now go find a new coach.

And all along I thought it was common place to just extend your coach when there was less than 4 years on his contract and jack-up the buyout to levels detrimental to the school and handcuffing the school from finding someone better.

Wow, so that's how it's done in the Big Boy World?!

So, the AD handcuffed his HC by not extending him to at least 4 seasons so that he could guarantee the HC couldn't recruit? Sounds to me like the AD knew in May '17 he was going to fire the coach but wanted to take a full year to research. If I was thinking about being the next Old Miss HC, I'd be very cognizant of what the AD did. That's pretty much dirty pool. But if I was an Ole Miss fan? I'd be pissed and want the AD out of town now for sacrificing an entire season to an obvious lame duck coach. Let's not forget that he also notified the current players they're playing for a lame duck. At least extend him 1 more season. That's really just stupid.

I don't think there were any P5 programs actively looking to hire Fran away from Iowa. I think Gutless Gary already said that Fran had pursued the GA Tech job. A job that paid Josh Pastner 1.8 mil per year, which is considerably less than what Fran was getting before Gutless extended him last Nov. They did NOT offer him any more money, or he would have taken it. So, in Gutless Gary's mind, Fran looking around = better pony up the dough. Gutless threw that piece of red meat to the media and they gobbled it up, apparently. Because I have seen no follow up stories about the who, what, when, where, why and how much.
I'm tempted to send Gutless a letter demanding more money than my current salary, to see if that tard will send me a check and a contract. I don't even work for him.

LOL!