How realistic is it that Luka

As to the original question, currently Garza has the most FG attempts of anybody in the league and the 5th most free throws. He's always been an efficient scorer, so it's certainly possible if he keeps up that usage.

He plays with heart.

He gives great effort.

He seems to be a great teammate.

He works on improving his post moves. Such an art is more rare and underrated.

+ X4

There are some pretty tough defensive bigs in the league this year. Tillman, Teske, and Reuvers. I actually think Garza can pull Wesson out from under the basket with his shot. Illinois has a freshman, Minny has a guy. I’m not sure if Jalen Smith plays true center for Maryland.

I guess the point of the thread is can he lead the B1G in scoring. I would say yes he can be right up there, but if he’s scoring a bunch of garbage baskets when Iowa I down 15 I don’t much care.

Exactly. They at least need to be competing for an NCAA tournament spot to care. If they're 5-15 in conference play, no one is going to care. If they're at least 10-10, then the conversation changes.

I think a key to this could be Nunge's passing ability. When you have a 6'11 guy that's seeing over the defense to pass to another 6'11 guy in the post that could be virtually unstoppable. He had a few passes last night that looked really promising in that regard, but he's not looking for it consistently enough yet. That's what makes twin towers dangerous, it's like 2 older brothers playing keep away from their younger sibling.

Cook had to have been on a 10 day contract when he was with the Cavs. That's worth 47k this year. So he made that in 2 weeks which is pretty dang good.

The 80k is just the G League contract.
The 80k is for a two way contract. G League contracts are less than 40k per year. That's before

80k more than he would have made at Iowa this year.

Correct. I used old phrasing that's incorrect. They are paid pro rated for the time they are with each team. If he played in the G League all year it'd be 80k.

He's paid the pro rated rate for an NBA rookie while actually in the NBA, which is 815,615 dollars. He was there for about a month, so he might have gotten another 100k on top of that. I'm not totally sure how much it ends up being.

https://gleague.nba.com/news/nba-g-league-announces-player-salaries-2018-2019-season/

If Luka had 10 more inches on his vertical, this would be his last year playing college ball. Amirite?

No, you're not right. If Luka had 10 more inches on his vertical, he'd be the highest paid player in college b-ball. At UNC, Kansas, or Kentucky.

Its to bad he went through what he did last year as far as health.
This is a good point. The next step in Luka's development, for me, will be to show that he can stay on the floor against B1G competition. He was saddled with a lot of foul trouble in conference last year. He also needs to work on passing out of double teams. Frank Kaminsky, to name one, was hard to double team because he knew how to pass out of it, usually to an open three point shooter.

Being able to work on his game, strength and conditioning in the offseason will serve him well. Last year he was recovering from surgery just trying to get on the floor.

Never said TC wasn't athletic enough to play in the NBA, just said he needed to change his game from what he was doing at Iowa. Rebounding, playing defense, and a 10-foot jump shot. Dunking alone can't keep you in the Show. Garza, on the other hand, is not an athletic freak. What he has is a shot, great footwork, and a high motor. I don't know if he will play in the NBA but he will have many options to play basketball after college. It is imperative that Iowa continues to develop Joe T to break down the Defense and get Garza the ball before the DT can set. If Garza gets better at passing out of the DT and our shooters (Joe W, JBo, CJ, Conner?) knock down their shots there's no reason Garza can't lead the Big in scoring. Joe T is the key, he already is disruptive on defense, has the D running to get to their spots, and he has the ability to draw the defense which will allow Garza to find easy baskets. Kinda what Iowa's opponents have been doing to Iowa for what seems like forever now.

Never said TC wasn't athletic enough to play in the NBA, just said he needed to change his game from what he was doing at Iowa. Rebounding, playing defense, and a 10-foot jump shot. Dunking alone can't keep you in the Show. Garza, on the other hand, is not an athletic freak. What he has is a shot, great footwork, and a high motor. I don't know if he will play in the NBA but he will have many options to play basketball after college. It is imperative that Iowa continues to develop Joe T to break down the Defense and get Garza the ball before the DT can set. If Garza gets better at passing out of the DT and our shooters (Joe W, JBo, CJ, Conner?) knock down their shots there's no reason Garza can't lead the Big in scoring. Joe T is the key, he already is disruptive on defense, has the D running to get to their spots, and he has the ability to draw the defense which will allow Garza to find easy baskets. Kinda what Iowa's opponents have been doing to Iowa for what seems like forever now.
I still think Garza's lack not of quickness, but of raw foot speed, will make it tough for him at any professional level. He's got the heart, the toughness, and he's developing post moves. But when DePauls Charlie Moore got him one one in the open floor it was no contest. Garza couldn't catch him or even slow him down, reroute him, or foul him. Russell Westbrook would leave him in a different time zone.

I guess what I am trying to say is there was once an NBA, one that you are old enough to remember, where a Luka Garza could carve a nice niche for himself. Billy Paultz is the obvious comp. Tom Boerwinkle, Pat Cummings, Rich Kelley and Paul Mokeski all come to mind as well. And you will remember all those guys. The problem is the 1970's/1980's NBA doesn't exist any more. Hell, Center as we once knew it is barely a considered a position anymore.

I still think Garza's lack not of quickness, but of raw foot speed, will make it tough for him at any professional level. He's got the heart, the toughness, and he's developing post moves. But when DePauls Charlie Moore got him one one in the open floor it was no contest. Garza couldn't catch him or even slow him down, reroute him, or foul him. Russell Westbrook would leave him in a different time zone.

I guess what I am trying to say is there was once an NBA, one that you are old enough to remember, where a Luka Garza could carve a nice niche for himself. Billy Paultz is the obvious comp. Tom Boerwinkle, Pat Cummings, Rich Kelley and Paul Mokeski all come to mind as well. And you will remember all those guys. The problem is the 1970's/1980's NBA doesn't exist any more. Hell, Center as we once knew it is barely a considered a position anymore.

I agree that Garza is slow, but using an example of a really quick point guard toasting him is a little bit overboard. Moore would toast almost if not every center in college and probably most in the NBA too.

I tried telling some of ya before the season started to not sleep on Luka to potentially lead the team in scoring and be the leader. He has always been an efficient scorer and had a pretty high usage rate. Without Cook, he's getting even more touches and playing more minutes. Throw in that Joe W is super unselfish and I'm not surprised one bit on what Luka has done so far.

Can he keep up this pace though and lead the B1G? He definitely has a nice start. I'm inclined to think he has a pretty decent shot. Luka has struggled against some athletic bigs in the past but he also is relentless and keeps attacking no matter what. If he really did develop more post moves, those can help combat over aggressive athletic bigs. Honestly I think his biggest issue so far has been at times where he doesn't have a great feel for when guards are going to come down to double and swipe at the ball. If he becomes more aware of his surroundings and is given room, it could be game over for the guy defending him more often than not.

I agree that Garza is slow, but using an example of a really quick point guard toasting him is a little bit overboard. Moore would toast almost if not every center in college and probably most in the NBA too.
Respectfully disagree. Moore, in that example, was just coming across half court and Garza was well ahead of him near the top of the key. Garza doesn't have to stop him, but has to at least slow him up, turn him sideways a little bit, or as a last resort foul him and prevent the easy deuce. Garza could accomplish none of those objectives. Moore completely blew by him. It looked like Rolf Bernirschke trying to chase down Willie Gault on a kickoff return

Last edited:
That's why I still love the college game. Players like Garza and JBo can flourish. Teams run an offense, games matter and are not just a celebration of self. So honestly I don't care if players play in the NBA except for their own well being and finances. I haven't watched since Jordan played for the Bulls. Garza will be able to play somewhere after college, I was referring to non-NBA opportunities.

Last edited: