How much???

TritonHawkeye

How much do you think Iowa will spend on our next basketball coach? Do you think that whatever the cost it should exceed that salary of Kirk Ferentz?

How much do you think Iowa will spend on our next basketball coach? Do you think that whatever the cost it should exceed that salary of Kirk Ferentz?
That's really hard to quantify. Is Pearl worth it at this point? If the Price is Right, I think Pearl would at least give it a hard thought. The amount we pay him would be comparable to Ferentz's salary. Ferentz, though, has earned his on the Iowa sideline, not the UT sideline.

If Barta was to make a huge investment like that, it better work out. Otherwise he'd see pitchforks and torches outside his house.

Calipari is the highest paid bball coach in the county at something like $3.8M per year. Highly unlikely - highly - that our new bball coach's salary will come anywhere near the Captain's. For good reason too.

I'd be shocked if our new bball coach's salary is even in the $1.6-$1.8M per year range. The Captain will remain rightfully so as the highest paid public employee in the state of Iowa.

The more money they throw at this position, the bigger splash they can make, and the quicker the fans return and the donations start flowing back in. Take KF's salary out of the equation, I am sure if he is asking for more money there would be donations to the football program to cover it as nobody wants to see KF leave. I am sure KF understands how important it is to the sports department for them to get a big name coach for basketball. To have people interested in Iowa basketball again benefits the entire sports department, including football.

I'd be shocked if our new bball coach's salary is even in the $1.6-$1.8M per year range. The Captain will remain rightfully so as the highest paid public employee in the state of Iowa.

I wouldn't be shocked if the new coach makes in the salary range you are talking about, unless we end up going the assistant coach route with someone like Steve Forbes. If we want to get a name coach like Scott Drew, I'm betting we'll need to pay at least $1.5-$2M, and I'd be fine with that if it means we're bringing in a proven winner. Whatever it takes to get him here.

Kirk Ferentz deserves every penny he's paid, IMO. He's worked wonders with our football program.

I don't know the figures but would guess the football team brings in huge amounts in comparison to basketball cuurently.

With that said, would a final four Iowa Basketball team generate enormous sales in merchandise alone? Look at the Yankees or Manchester United (English "soccer"). They buy whatever players they want due to their marketing cash flow and it keeps coming in with tickets and merchandise. Same could be said for an NCAA team to buy the best facilities (not players, we have morals), student athlete housing, etc. Someone at the U of I needs to sharpen their pencil and do the math.

I think we need to gamble on an up and coming coach and spend more cash on facilities to wow the recruits and keep our current players glad they came here. Tradition will follow.

Interesting thing is, is that Barta said money is not a issue when we hire a new coach so the money is out there to get a good coach (from the way I took it). Should he be paid more than KF? Probably not.

I think you are gonna have to spend $2m a year minimum to get who we want and need. KF makes 3.02 mil.,which is alot more then 2mil.

Calipari is the highest paid bball coach in the county at something like $3.8M per year. Highly unlikely - highly - that our new bball coach's salary will come anywhere near the Captain's. For good reason too.

For the right coach, I think Barta will exceed that $1.6-$1.8M per year range. I don't think he can afford to go cheap this time around. In the long run his job security may be tied to this hire.

Latest posts