How many wins does Kirk need to save his job?

zero isn't going to happen, so its easy to say that. but, if we really did have a zero win year, heads would roll. starting with barta.

truth is, we'll probably win 5-6 games and kirk isn't going anywhere.

It's not the # of wins, but # of people in the seats, if 70k strong starts to become the low 60's by mid October Barta starts crunching numbers and making phone calls and he pulls out that list of coaching candidates in that right drawer of his desk.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner. Kurts buyout is to big so it doesn't matter what his record is next year.

Cyclone fans opinion do not count because they want Kirk to stay as long as possible.......as if they were patronizing us.

The buyout really does not have a lot to do with it at this point. It's not like the guy is worried about feeding his family or anything. The relationship is starting to turn sour for both sides, and if it continues to go south everyone involved will realize it's time to make a change. Continually focusing on the buyout to the exclusion of all the other factors involved is completely missing the point.

zero isn't going to happen, so its easy to say that. but, if we really did have a zero win year, heads would roll. starting with barta.

truth is, we'll probably win 5-6 games and kirk isn't going anywhere.

There is literally 0 chance that Iowa gets to 6 wins this year. I'll bet anyone, any amount on here. PM me if you wanna take me up on it. I think it's another 4 win season next year.

Read the sig!!!!!

Iowa fans have been fine with 3 years 7 or less wins as long as there are 3 subsequent years of 8 or more wins. Next year will be year 3 of his third downturn. So why would he be fired?

Now, if he doesn't hit the mark in 2014, that will be a sign that he has lost the ability to right the ship.

I think the title should say Barta not Kirk.

If they turn in another bowl less season there are going to be a lot of ticked off donors and alumni. Iowa may not be able to afford KFs buyout but someone will have to pay and it could be the guy who gave KF that ridiculous contract.

I'm surprised this hasn't happened yet. Barta should be feeling the heat, if not fired, for giving up that ridiculous contract!

As for the OP's Q... I don't think there is a number KF will need to hit to prevent being fired.
If we have another 4-5 win season, the seat will get warm.
If he hits 6-7 wins (I think is what will happen), people will be happy and excited for 2014's run.
If he hits 8+ wins, the bandwagon will fill up once again from the tavern hoks, and many of the alts on here will be deserted.

If we have another 4-8 season I think Barta will have to sit through another interview with Kirk to see if he can keep HIS job.

I don't like it either and golly gosh gee-whiz this is just little 'ol Iowa I don't believe anyone's touching that buyout next year. So put me in the 4 wins column with the hope that 2014 is the start of his "up" cycle, enabling him to go out with 3 good years.

As for Barta, he's gained more than a few brownie points by hiring Fran for bb and their promising rise back to respectability.

Read the sig!!!!!

Iowa fans have been fine with 3 years 7 or less wins as long as there are 3 subsequent years of 8 or more wins. Next year will be year 3 of his third downturn. So why would he be fired?

Now, if he doesn't hit the mark in 2014, that will be a sign that he has lost the ability to right the ship.

Derp

There will be a lot of empty seats if we see the same offensive production in September 2013. It's just no fun to watch. Its paintful to watch.

There will be a lot of empty seats if we see the same offensive production in September 2013. It's just no fun to watch. Its paintful to watch.

I wouldn't be so quick to say that. I think the waiting list is still long enough to absorb a decline in renewals.
Additionally, if our defense is better, we may be able to get more wins. That'll keep them us the seats.

I wouldn't be so quick to say that. I think the waiting list is still long enough to absorb a decline in renewals.
Additionally, if our defense is better, we may be able to get more wins. That'll keep them us the seats.

hope you are right Eda

It's not the # of wins, but # of people in the seats, if 70k strong starts to become the low 60's by mid October Barta starts crunching numbers and making phone calls and he pulls out that list of coaching candidates in that right drawer of his desk.

This is the right answer.

In the grand scheme of things there's no difference between 2 wins or 4 wins or 5 wins to determine his job status.

It all gets down to ticket sales. If season ticket sales remain strong for next season and Kinnick consistently stays full for next year's games (a good indicator of what season ticket renewals would be for 2014), then no change will happen no matter how bad next season gets.

However, if season ticket sales decline by 10% or so for 2013, then 2013 goes bad and Kinnick has more and more empty seats as we get deeper into the year (like the low 60's) then suddenly Kirk's job status for 2014 is in jeopardy.

Yes his buyout is ENORMOUS. However, it's all a financial numbers game. If the "perceived" revenue loss outweighs Kirk's buyout, then removing Kirk and paying his large buyout makes sense. This is EXACTLY what happened in the Lickliter situation and why he was fired with more years left on his contract (4) than he actually coached at Iowa (3).

I think if he doesn't win 7 ot 8 games next year he's gone.

What do you think?

I love how clueless to reality some people are, if the fans were in charge then yes, this would be the mark. But in all reality he could probably go 4-8 again and he 'might" get the axe. 5-7 maybe he gets some serious heat. But if he goes 6-6 he's golden and anybody who deosn't believe this is nuts. It's not about what's acceptable to us it's just the reality of the contract and what's going to happen.

I don't like it either and golly gosh gee-whiz this is just little 'ol Iowa I don't believe anyone's touching that buyout next year. So put me in the 4 wins column with the hope that 2014 is the start of his "up" cycle, enabling him to go out with 3 good years.

As for Barta, he's gained more than a few brownie points by hiring Fran for bb and their promising rise back to respectability.

He gets no brownie points for getting lucky hiring Fran considering he brought the basketball program down to its knees by hiring Lick. If KF was to ever be replaced I am not comfortable with Barta being the one in charge of the hiring process.