How many games can you remember where Iowa was truly pumped up for a game?

HaydenHawk56

Or at least looked pumped up from a visual standpoint? Games you can remember where the players showed they wanted this game bad. In person and on television. This is not to say the players are not always pumped up for games, but where you could tell this game was real important emotionally to the team. Games that really stand out to you.

-I think the win at ISU to end their streak we showed a lot of emotion there.
-Winning at OSU in the Shoe after the Iowa City shootings.
-A number of games against Michigan, even in losing. I think Jared DeVries always played with a lot of fire against them.
-I thought a lot of emotion in the 08 win against Penn St.

Wow. Do you live on the moon? Did you attend the 2011 Northwestern game? Our team played with fire and emotion. Ferentz showed tremendous emotion in the 4th quarter when we went up 17 points. I've never seen our team play harder. Granted we don't have the world's greatest defense this year, but they played hard in that game.

This team shows up and plays hard most of the time... that is why Ferentz has won 61% of his games at Iowa and almost 70% starting in 2001.

No offense, but I think the premise of your thread is a little misguided.

Also, how the heck can the average fan know how much emotion the team is displaying? We are not in the locker room before or after the game. Only the coaches really know the answer to this question.

Or at least looked pumped up from a visual standpoint? Games you can remember where the players showed they wanted this game bad. In person and on television. This is not to say the players are not always pumped up for games, but where you could tell this game was real important emotionally to the team. Games that really stand out to you.

-I think the win at ISU to end their streak we showed a lot of emotion there.
-Winning at OSU in the Shoe after the Iowa City shootings.
-A number of games against Michigan, even in losing. I think Jared DeVries always played with a lot of fire against them.
-I thought a lot of emotion in the 08 win against Penn St.

think that we lost that game in the shoe....ball off of Merton Hanks head.

I agree with Michigan matchups, we always play them tough

No the OSU game in the shoe we won after the Gang Lu shootings. Matt Rodgers was the QB. We lost the year before in Kinnick against OSU on a last second touchdown.

In response to ChosenChildren:

Nothing misguided meant and as I noted above, this is not to say the players are not pumped up for every game. Just games where more emotion was displayed that stood out to you.

Last edited:
I think there is something to be said for playing even keel (spelling) though as well. You get too high and too low sometimes and it leads to bad things. I kind of like the business as usual approach of Iowa. I see ISU get pumped up and then fall apart...I like the approach of our team...

emotion doesn't always mean you are focused on the game. It's not about "im going to Kill nebraska" for me, it's about on this play I have to do this to allow our team to win. Running around like a maniac doesn't mean you are more likely to win...

The games mentioned above all come to mind. Seems to me, though, the team played with more emotion during the Fry years. I remember the 1985 Iowa-Michigan game. Kinnick was on fire, which was expected when it was No. 1 v. No. 2 in front of a huge TV audience. The players and staff were amped, to say the least. There were a other years where Iowa had to beat Minny to clinch to go to the Rose Bowl or some other big bowl and everyone associated with the program was guaranteeing a victory because they were so fired up.

Wisky 2004. And a number of games that year. Roth always came out fired up and looking for blood. Certain players just have that fire.

No the OSU game in the shoe we won after the Gang Lu shootings. Matt Rodgers was the QB. We lost the year before in Kinnick against OSU on a last second touchdown.

ostrich^ Witnessed this as well. The tiger hawks were peeled off the helmets and nostrils were flared. We brutalized them that game. That was also a little payback for the 90' game.

I think we also came out with a little extra giddy up against Michigan State when Charles Rogers was carving everyone up. We bumped and pressed him at the line of scrimmage the entire game.

But to the OP's point. We usually come out in our business attire. To this I can attest. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not so good.

I want emotionz!!! Its about time ferentz went running around the field during the play flapping his arms like a bird!!!! Players need to show some emotion like that william gholston and MSU...they make it clear they hate their opponent. Its about time we start twisting helmets so people can see how much our players hate the other team!!!!!! I am so sick of tjis quiet confidence!!!!!

MSU 2007. Ferentz blew up on the refs early in the 3rd quarter after a dismal first half. All of a sudden, the team and the crowd got heated and rallied to win in double overtime. One hell of a game and one where I saw a most-animated Ferentz. Either way, I like Ferentz's "business attire and attitude" as well. But when he does start in with I would rather have someone who has their head in the game rather than a Pelini. He reminds me of a Jack Russell Terrier...flares his nose and bares his teeth and gives you a good, non-stop, YAPYAPYAPYAPYAPYAPYAPYAP!Oh

Latest posts