How Iowa matches up against Wisconsin?

I'll use the Purdue game since it is a recent common opponent for each team. Wisconsin won 35 to 24 @Home. Iowa won 24 to 3 Away. Against Wisconsin Purdue passed for 320 yards and had two interceptions. Purdue rushed for 111 yards on 33 carries. By comparison Wisconsin passed for 203 yards and rushed for 178 on 29 carries. It had one lost fumble. Purdue ended up with 431 yards of offense and the Badgers 381 yards of offense.

Iowa's numbers against Purdue were 192 yards of passing and 184 rushing or a total of 376. Iowa didn't have any offense after the touchdown run by Johnson in the second half. Defensively Iowa held Purdue to 168 passing yards and 87 rushing yards for a total of 255 yards. Purdue had two interceptions and Iowa had no turnovers.

Going by these numbers Wisconsin's defense does not appear as strong as Iowa's. Offensively it looks like a wash with neither team excelling on offense against Purdue.

A typical Wisconsin defense would be good enough to stonewall our offense (I'm talking one of those we-can't-even-score-a-TD-with-1st-and-goal-inside-the-five type affairs).

But that is not this year's Wisconsin.

I like us in this game as long as someone on the punt return team doesn't accidentally step on a dying ball.

Turnovers also a factor. Got to be on the plus side.
That's what this game usually comes down to. The fewest turnovers usually wins.

I'll be happy if we don't have a running back fumble on our own goal line this year.

This rivalry is a classic example of where Kirk can get too stubborn. We dominated it from 2002-09, then came the fake punt game in 2010. Then came Wisconsin using a 3-4 defensive alignment against us to blow up our zone blocking plays.

They obviously made adjustments, but we continued on like we did when we were having success. Trying to hammer that square peg into a round hole. Wisconsin will always give you the downfield passing game. Can our OL protect Spencer? And can he make plays? Or will we try to prove how undaunted we are by their physicality.

Other than defensive schemes, these teams are oddly similar: incumbent and maddeningly inconsistent QBs, strong defenses, excellent RBs, inexperienced Olines, etc. Wisky has won 5 of their last 6 this season, and in recent years Iowa has shown zero ability to solve their 3-5-3 defense, which brings heat from a different angle each play. To beat their D, you need a good Oline, and an accurate QB -- or at least one having a good day. IL beat the Badgers by completing numerous pinpoint short sideline passes to beat the blitz. Do you trust Petras to consistently do that? I don't. I think Leonard will continue to own the Hawks.

Good luck predicting this. You all are trying to make sense of Ferentz.

He is the same as 2021, 2015, 2017. First half of 2022. Good luck. We are about as excited as beating OSU in 2017. Bring on Wisconsin baby....66 yards

This is one of the few years that I feel that our defense will have the upper hand against their offense. Even when we've had good defenses in the past they've used their massive O-Lines to grind us down. Of course, their defense will have the upper hand against our offense as well. But I think we have a slight edge. As others have suggested, it may come down to turnovers. If I were Wiscy I wouldn't put a lot of faith in Mertz either.

I'll use the Purdue game since it is a recent common opponent for each team. Wisconsin won 35 to 24 @Home. Iowa won 24 to 3 Away. Against Wisconsin Purdue passed for 320 yards and had two interceptions. Purdue rushed for 111 yards on 33 carries. By comparison Wisconsin passed for 203 yards and rushed for 178 on 29 carries. It had one lost fumble. Purdue ended up with 431 yards of offense and the Badgers 381 yards of offense.

Iowa's numbers against Purdue were 192 yards of passing and 184 rushing or a total of 376. Iowa didn't have any offense after the touchdown run by Johnson in the second half. Defensively Iowa held Purdue to 168 passing yards and 87 rushing yards for a total of 255 yards. Purdue had two interceptions and Iowa had no turnovers.

Going by these numbers Wisconsin's defense does not appear as strong as Iowa's. Offensively it looks like a wash with neither team excelling on offense against Purdue.
Good stuff, Eye.

Since Wisconsin went to the 3-4 zone blitz scheme, it has been a nightmare for Iowa to move the ball on offense. Petras will have 6 or 7 chances to connect on a big pass play, he needs to be successful on 2 or 3 of them for Iowa to win. I think they beat Minnesota and Nebraska, this is the one I can't get a grip on.

Wow. Watching the dvr first half Iowa vs Purdue. That damn Spenser Petras, at times, looks like an all BT QB. The long pass to our TE was, as Fran would say, “Spectacular!”. If he had an O line during the past 2+seasons that was really good, I honestly wonder what he might have achieved.

Iowa better defense

Offenses comparable up until now

Allen best TR FR RB last year in B1G, KJ that this year

Preseason favorites Iowa and Wisconsin rising

Dang... Purdue ran the ball on them some. If we can then I like our chances. Can our Oline keep this up? Wisky runs that wonky 3-5-5 stuff that we've always struggled with. But they just don't seem to be as good/physical as they usually are.

Wow. Watching the dvr first half Iowa vs Purdue. That damn Spenser Petras, at times, looks like an all BT QB. The long pass to our TE was, as Fran would say, “Spectacular!”. If he had an O line during the past 2+seasons that was really good, I honestly wonder what he might have achieved.
Consistency... If someone put together his highlight tape of throws (it's not a very long one) but it'd be impressive. When he's not rushed has his feet set and the timing with his receiver is on the money he's capable of putting the ball there. It's just rare that all those things happen. Any one thing goes haywire and he'll misfire pretty much.

Should be a slugfest. Teams seem pretty even on paper. Both teams have some momentum right now after a sluggish start to the season. If a game looks like twins about to fight, I guess you go with the home team. Go Hawks!

Latest posts