How inept is Iowas Offense?

After reading this whole thread again and the new entries it is indeed a shame that this offense isn't consistently making plays. Today Toren Young carries the ball the first time for 5 yards straight north and south. Goodson did well enough going north south.

The hawk running game east west today and in other games is not very good. Other teams flow too well against our outside zone, they shoot gaps, and we end up getting too many zero or negative plays. I just cant understand how KF, BF, and Polosek cant see the horizontal running game is not very good and build something with power straight at the opponent going at called holes.

Another blown opportunity for being 11-0 or 10-1 right now.

After reading this whole thread again and the new entries it is indeed a shame that this offense isn't consistently making plays. Today Toren Young carries the ball the first time for 5 yards straight north and south. Goodson did well enough going north south.

The hawk running game east west today and in other games is not very good. Other teams flow too well against our outside zone, they shoot gaps, and we end up getting too many zero or negative plays. I just cant understand how KF, BF, and Polosek cant see the horizontal running game is not very good and build something with power straight at the opponent going at called holes.

Another blown opportunity for being 11-0 or 10-1 right now.
If the coaches change the horizontal running game, it would mean that the horizontal running game needed to be changed.

If the coaches change the horizontal running game, it would mean that the horizontal running game needed to be changed.
In the immortal words of Roy Walley:

"There better be some explaining around here or, there's going to be a lot of explaining to do".

We have two (allegedly) all B10 tackles, a three year starter at QB, reasonable RB’s.
But we are 100th in NCAA FBS scoring offense. Seems like more of a scheme problem than a talent issue.

Yep. Interior Oline play(notably vs Mich and PSU) and scheme inside the opponent 40.

Iowa's running game is almost non existent against good defenses. Iowa passing game is good when Nate Stanley gets the ball where it's supposed to go. Sometimes you just have to wonder what he's looking at when he throws the ball. Some of the passes today weren't even close.

Honestly as good as this defense is, all
Iowa needed to average this year was around 25 points a game. So a 1990s college football
era offense

that’s just 3 TD a game and yet for Iowa to
Score 3 TD it took stretches of 3-4 GAMES for that to happen

I still blame the scheme 90%
Other 10% was on Stanley

Teams punish our run game on obvious running downs, and have no fear of Stanley hitting someone over the top in stride

And that’s where Stanley hurt us, and it was his inaccurate arm or lack of touch. Yes he could hit those 20-30 yard passes but he had to take off so much zip that once our WR made the catch they either fell to the ground, were out of bounds, or tackled.

once we got within the opponents 40 the defenses had the back of the end zone as a 12th defender.

If we had CJ the last two years i do think BF offense would be marginally better, and seriously that’s all we fkn needed with this defense.

think about what AJE and others could have done pinning their ears back knowing they had a larger cushion to play with!!!

Goodson not fast enough to get the edge against a fast Illini defense. Stanley not accurate enough to take advantage of the the load the box scheme he was presented with yesterday. Our OC has not ever figured out how to put together an effective offense since he was given the reins. I sure wish he was O line coach, running coordinator again and that we had a real OC. With this fine D, we would certainly be in the Big Champ Game. Possibly in the final 4.

IMO it's absolutely unacceptable for a Power 5 program like Iowa with the # of OL in the NFL and supposedly going Wirfs and Jackson to be this freaking bad on offense. Let's face it our QB sneak is the single best running play we have period and that's sad, terrible, unacceptable, disgraceful, pathetic...did I leave any adjectives out?

Iowa's running game is almost non existent against good defenses. Iowa passing game is good when Nate Stanley gets the ball where it's supposed to go. Sometimes you just have to wonder what he's looking at when he throws the ball. Some of the passes today weren't even close.
Nate's issue is when he mis-reads coverage you can see he locks on then when he sees his primary covered he's slow to come off his primary. It's not that he doesn't have arm talent he's slow to read and he misses easy throws.

IMO it's absolutely unacceptable for a Power 5 program like Iowa with the # of OL in the NFL and supposedly going Wirfs and Jackson to be this freaking bad on offense. Let's face it our QB sneak is the single best running play we have period and that's sad, terrible, unacceptable, disgraceful, pathetic...did I leave any adjectives out?
It's a scared offense in the red zone, and that's by design. That last field goal against Minnesota last week. They would have been better off just kicking the damn thing on second or third down and getting it over with as opposed to running the plays that were dialed up.

I've mentioned it several times. The narrative of this season is to lean on the defense and kicking game, and it was going to, if anything, become even more pronounced if we started winning with it, as we did once we cleared Michigan and Penn State from the slate. We miss two NFL departed tight ends in the red zone-mis them dearly. When we had those tight ends last year we put up 63, 48 and 42 points in conference road games. But we don't have those weapons this year and I thinkmthe plan from spring practices onward was to play as close to the vest as possible.

Now the running game is stagnating and that truly concerns me. You can best Nebraska with time consuming ground and pound and keeping their offensive weapons on the sidelines. But will we do it?

On more note on Minnesota. I loved that TD throw to ISM where he came all the way across the field amd beat the DB. Fant and Hoks made hay off that route. I posted about two weeks ago how much I've missed seeing that highly effective red zone route.

Highest red zone efficiency among BIG schools (scores / chances) ......94.6%

Fewest TD's in red zone among BIG schools outside of NW & Rutgers ......20

Includes all games non-conf & conf.

I can't wait for us to play another SEC team and look pathetic like we did against FLorida and LSU.

Highest red zone efficiency among BIG schools (scores / chances) ......94.6%

Fewest TD's in red zone among BIG schools outside of NW & Rutgers ......20

Includes all games non-conf & conf.

And there you have a great example of a misleading stat. Red zone efficiency is scores/red zone possession...not points/red zone possession.

Watching the Patriots - Cowboys game and noticing a strong similarity in offensive plays between Pats & Iowa.
Patriots can’t run either.

Latest posts