How Hawkeyes Have Rebounded Nicely from Forgettable Finish in '14

RobHowe

Administrator
Iowa has won 47 games during the last five seasons, the most in any five-year stretch in program history.

Story from Rick Brown:

LINK

That Nebraska game still pisses me off... That was the one where Bell bobbled that catch as he went out of bounds right? We shoulda won in regulation too but still. That game and then TN kicking our ass just put a bow on a season that couldn't end fast enough. It was certainly a turning point no doubt about it.

This was a great article.

I can still remember when I heard the news that KF had called a press conference in January. At that point, you knew something was going to change.

It started by naming CJ the starter and just got better from there. No more punting from inside an opponents 40 yard line. No more just taking FGs inside the 5 yard line. Fake punts. Fake field goals. Not afraid to run off coaches that weren't performing. Practice schedule change. Even if a lot of it would have never worked (and a lot didn't), but just the fact that he was willing to stop playing his "gut" all the time and start playing some of the analytic %'s breathed some fresh life into the program.

The results since then speak for themselves.

I've talked to guys on that team years later and the quarterback controversy was real. That affected the locker room.

It was tough on guys like Canzeri and Blythe, who came in with Rudock. I think Rudock was in Blythe's wedding around that time.

The bonds to the recruiting classes with whom you arrive are strong. It's an interesting dynamic.

The QB dynamic is interesting and cannot be underestimated. I just recently listened to an interview with a former Viking (Can't remember who it was) who was talking about playing with Favre after he came over from GB and he said once Favre got familiar with everyone the belief in him and confidence the team had playing with him made them want to play FOR him. Especially after he threw the game winning throw at home against SF he said they could just feel this vibe he carried with him which put a lot fo them at ease and brought back the fun in the game.

The player talked about just the overall confidence the entire team gained and how much more looser they played and it did rub off on the coaching staff

I never got to talk or meet either Ruddock or CJ nor do I know much of what was goign on behind the scenes that year. Just listening to each of them in press conferences to me it seemed like CJ was just one of those guys that you could easily relate to, while Ruddock gave me that sense that he was just there

Not only the losses to Nebraska and Tennessee, but the loss to Iowa State after leading 14-3 at halftime and the loss to Maryland (and even a close game against Wisconsin). Turn around even a couple of those regular season games into wins and CJB likely transfers, and who knows where it goes from there. Let's just say, it worked out.

Not only the losses to Nebraska and Tennessee, but the loss to Iowa State after leading 14-3 at halftime and the loss to Maryland (and even a close game against Wisconsin). Turn around even a couple of those regular season games into wins and CJB likely transfers, and who knows where it goes from there. Let's just say, it worked out.

On the flipside, we damn near lost to Ball State that year. That year just sucked. It was all laid out for us and we pissed down our leg.

AS much as I complained, I will say that KF had a plan and it seems to be working. The recruoting has upticked and if he lets his son open up the offense and helps podlesak coach the line, we will be the program I always thought we should be, one that wins 10 games a year.

In before Im banned.

AS much as I complained, I will say that KF had a plan and it seems to be working. The recruoting has upticked and if he lets his son open up the offense and helps podlesak coach the line, we will be the program I always thought we should be, one that wins 10 games a year.

In before Im banned.

There are only 4 P5 teams that have won 10 games every year for the past 5 years. Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and Clemson. Not LSU. Not Wisky. Not Georgia. Not Penn State. So to think we can win 10 games per year is fools gold.

Understood, but that's not the same as saying "10 a year". There's a big difference between averaging 10 and winning 10 every year.

True. But we are trending that way. Recruiting on an uptick. Only thing is development. And that is on KF and Podelsak. This 2 get on the same page and KF lets BF open it up, I see us as the premier team in the West.

Not sure I will be here to crow about that, but Im optimistic, and I was one of the most pessimistic.

FRH

It's been a while since I heard a Kirk hater come along and say that the Captain is satisfied to take his seven wins and collect his buck.

Now he needs to work on Penn State (who he once owned) and Wisconsin. He does that and he will push that average up to ten wins

Yep. Im back onboard and not afraid to admit it. The only thing I wish he would do is just manage the program and help the O line. Let BF run with the offense. The pieces are there, just dont get in the way.

It's been a while since I heard a Kirk hater come along and say that the Captain is satisfied to take his seven wins and collect his buck.

JFC...can we drop the Jr high girl "Kirk hater" thing. How about "critic"? KFz has built quite a legacy at IOWA, but 2011-2014 had a definite WTF vibe and the criticism he got was warranted and deserved at the time. Don't be a snowflake.

The changes and growth since 2014 are a great story and the sign of a true professional. What he's done since then is arguably more impressive than what he did in his first 15 years. KFz has cemented his legacy. But 2011-2014 still happened. It all counts. You can't write a great biography without being honest about the rough years too.

I don't think there are any football programs that could write a book about the last 40 years...like IOWA could.

Last edited:
KF is a good coach but now is the time to separate himself from just being good to closing out the last few years his career by becoming a great coach. Just beat out Wisconsin for the last few years of his career and make it to the Big Ten championship game three consecutive years. Make a good showing there and maybe pull one of them out to give the life long loyal hawk tans truly a season to reminisce over for years to come. What a finish that would be to a storied career. Put that cherry on top.