How good is this team?

tony0051

Going into the spring drills, the biggest key to the Iowa team was the offensive line. From the reports that have come in from various sources, the O-line played well in the scrimmage. When the weakest link to your team is getting praise in the spring, think of what it will be like for the fall. This O-line is smaller than last season, but I think it might be able to get downfield to block. This could make for an offense that is able to hit big plays out of the screen game.

If you recall, the 2002 team had a knack for taking short routes and the bubble screen for big plays. The biggest reason this team was so good in the screen game was the linemen being able to get downfield. If this team can pass protect and get down field, this could be the most explosive passing game since 02. I still wonder if the running game is going to be good enough to win games. We will have to see how the O-line is able to push the line of scrimmage.

On D we know how good this team will be. I really can't think of a single weak link on this side of the ball. Maybe the two new starters at LB. However, if there is one position on the team that I am certain will be able to plug and play, it is the LB spots. Coach Wilson does a great job of getting guys to play at a high level. Sometimes, the ability to find the ball is better than just raw ability.

I like this team to win a minimum of 10 regular season games, and would be a little disappointed with the 10. I know that Iowa will be able to win all their games this season, the expectation that they will win them all is maybe unfair. Either way, this should be a fun season.

We'll go as far as the OL and Stanzi takes us. We should be fine at RB. Our receivers should be as good (maybe better) than what we were in '02. One thing that really helped our OL and offense in 02 was Banks' ability to make plays with his legs. With an absense of a BB does this offense have a player that can make plays in space?

From everything we are hearing, Stanzi and the O-Line are looking very good this spring. Stanzi's ability to not turn the ball over and the development of the O-Line did seem to be the biggest question marks heading into this season. So if those two areas are good, this team should be very, very good!

The only reason I have a bit of doubt is that every close game, every close moment seemed to go the Hawkeyes way last year. This team was a few plays from being a seven win team last year. Everything looks like this team should be even more improved over last years team. So you have to think 8-9 wins are an absolute lock. My cautious side says this is a nine win team. My hopeful side says this is an eleven win team. Split the difference and I say we are looking at a ten win season.

Not to rain on your parade about the OL, but from what I heard was they were going against the 2nd team DL most of the day and they got dominated when they went against the 1st team DL. Now I know that is a top 10 DL but the OL still has a long way to go.

Too many factors...

I like this team to win a minimum of 10 regular season games, and would be a little disappointed with the 10. I know that Iowa will be able to win all their games this season, the expectation that they will win them all is maybe unfair. Either way, this should be a fun season.

that are unknown at this point to say that Iowa "should" win 10 games. Winning that many is very difficult. We had a very good team last year and had to win some close ones.

Good news is that barring a slew of injuries Iowa can line up and compete physically against every team on the schedule. When you can do that, you have a chance.

Not to rain on your parade about the OL, but from what I heard was they were going against the 2nd team DL most of the day and they got dominated when they went against the 1st team DL. Now I know that is a top 10 DL but the OL still has a long way to go.
Most OLs are going to be dominated by this front four, positive is the first team will be practicing against one of the top DLs in the country so they will improve. Its only spring.

Most OLs are going to be dominated by this front four, positive is the first team will be practicing against one of the top DLs in the country so they will improve. Its only spring.

I agree, the OL won't face a better DL in a game then they do everyday in practice (maybe, MAYBE OSU as the exception). Facing this DL everyday in practice will only help them grow and get better quicker as I would think they will get tired of getting their *** handed to them in practice.

Attitude, injuries and execution will determine how far this team will go.

As a team approaches the 11 or 12 win number the margin of error gets close to zero. A very good team like Iowa can have some injuries and screw up on ocassion and still win 8 or 9 games. But to win 11 or 12 games the attitude has to be consistently there, injuries must be minimized and execution of play consistent.

No one is going to roll over. Iowa must take care of business each and every time out. That said I think 10 wins is doable. A twelve win season is not out of the question but some things are going to have to happen along the way for Iowa to realize this along with a little luck.

A top 10 DL??? I'd say anywhere from #1-#4 DL.

If key personnel stay healthy, I think an undefeated 10-0 Iowa team takes on tOSU for a chance to play for the national title. The most dangerous game up to that point IMO is Arizona--long trip after emotional win over ISU, O-line may still be 'gelling'. I think we win that though. PSU visits IC and Iowa goes to the Big House but I don't think UM will be vastly improved. Iowa is finally gonna take care of business against NW. Smack tOSU around and then have no let downs as Iowa claims a new Kinnick North and then prepare for a 2nd game in Arizona this year!!!!

Stay healthy, please!

I really hope we haven't gotten to the point that we are "disappointed" with a 10-win season. We aren't the Buckeyes or Trojans! Like some other posters said, Iowa got a lot of good fortune last year. At this early juncture, I'd say we're probably looking at 8-4 or 10-2. I'm not writing off a better season, but the stars must align for that to happen.

I really hope we haven't gotten to the point that we are "disappointed" with a 10-win season. We aren't the Buckeyes or Trojans! Like some other posters said, Iowa got a lot of good fortune last year. At this early juncture, I'd say we're probably looking at 8-4 or 10-2. I'm not writing off a better season, but the stars must align for that to happen.
I actually think 8-4 would be a letdown with this team and the leadership it has and the favorable schedule.

Absoulutly can't wait to see Stanzi take the field. Looking forward to see his improvement, cause you know damn well he's gonna improve. If for some reason he hasn't, that will be even more inresting. I wanna see us run the score up "enough," in some of the "easier games," to get Vandenberg/Wienke/Derby/WHOEVER some experience.

Absoulutly can't wait to see Stanzi take the field. Looking forward to see his improvement, cause you know damn well he's gonna improve. If for some reason he hasn't, that will be even more inresting. I wanna see us run the score up "enough," in some of the "easier games," to get Vandenberg/Wienke/Derby/WHOEVER some experience.

Better not be Derby. Absolutely no reason he doesn't redshirt this year if he stays at QB.

Some of you guys have heard how lucky we were last season, so many times from the media and opposing fans, you actually bought into it.
Thats crap!
Were we lucky when our #1 and #2 RBs was lost for the season?
When Bulaga was gone 4 games?
When Moeaki was gone for 3 games?
When Stross was injured half the season?
When Vandervelde tore his peck?
When Stanzi went down for 2 games?
When Chaney blew his knee out?
When Dace missed 7 games?
There are good and bad breaks for every team, every year.
If we wouldnt have had these injuries we might have won every game by 2 TDs. Who knows?
I know it wasnt luck that won 11 games last year.

I get leery anytime expectations are sky high. Too many bad experiences; both basketball & football; both college & pro.

Having said that, I will say we win at least 7.

I actually think 8-4 would be a letdown with this team and the leadership it has and the favorable schedule.

i would completely agree. it's perfectly OK to have high expectations and i don't think anyone, well, I'll just speak for myself- will be disapointed with a 10-2 season--- even i bet most of your gator, tide, buckeye fans would be ok settling for a 10-2 season--- not that 10-2 is remotely settling, just saying, Kirk has built a great program that has carried on from Fry and i believe for one that will and can continue to evolve and that said even in rebuild years (here's looking at you 2011,2012 LOL) we should still be going to a bowl game and have a 8-4 or 7-5 record....

I get leery anytime expectations are sky high. Too many bad experiences; both basketball & football; both college & pro.

True sir-- however the exact opposite can be said on years that expectations are "low" A la 2008 season-- i personally have high expectations every year, even when we're supposed to be "not good" and if and when they don't' get met, that's ok, i keep on lovn my hawks and try it again the next year--- with out high expectations or aspirations as least--we'll never achieve the level that this program is completely capable of and i think we're seeing it unfold--- yes yes--even when the season comes when we have a total WTF 6-6 season!!

Latest posts