How good is Basabe?

Gohawks123

Looks like his offers were from Siena, VCU, Drexel and some D2 schools. All this talk about bringing in guys with more talent, but this looks strikingly familiar to the guys Lick was recruiting (undersized and mid-major offers). Would we be better off banking the scholarship?

Never seen they guy play or even a highlight vid, but I'm used to seeing mid-majors and even D2 schools with guys much more athletic and talented than some on our roster over the years. As with football, talent evaluation and projection is the key when not getting the "blue-chips."

SCOUT.com has him ranked as the #35 PF, with Larson being the #23 PF. Sounds good enough to me.

SCOUT.com has him ranked as the #35 PF, with Larson being the #23 PF. Sounds good enough to me.

Do any other recruiting services have him rated? I was just curious as to if anyone else had seen him play. If we want to turn things around its important to get these kind of recruits (borderline top 200 guys), but they can't be the highlight of your recruiting class. These are the kind of recruits that need to be the role players on a successful team. Hopefully Fran can bring in some top 50-100 kids to be the gems of the classes in years to come.

Basabe had offers from St. John's, Seton Hall, Siena, VCU, Drexel, Northeastern, George Mason, just to name a few. Was a late bloomer and in the fall HM schools were asking for him to wait until spring so they could get involved.

Played with 2 high major players in high school in the most competitive league in the country. Played on the Nike AAU circuit with the Gauchos.

Here is a link with some good reads.

NERR - New England Basketball Recruiting Report

Yep, and he's probably competed with more ballers in NY at this point than even know where S Dakota is located.

How good is Brust? How good is Larson? How good is Marble? You can assign all the stars in the world you want from the various services, but does anyone really know?

Did anyone know Dallas Clark and Bob Sanders out of high school? I know different sport, but I'm still...

I found video of an archived St. Mark's game played this past January. Basabe is #1 in the dark uniforms. I watched a little of it. Basabe needs a lot of weight training. He is very thin. He has good hops, very long arms, a good rebounder, and appears to be looking mainly for the inside shot -- probably because it appears he's the tallest guy on the court in this particular game (in the limited action I saw).

Hoops in Overdrive Shoot-Out: St. Marks, MA vs Oak Ridge Military, NC | Hoops in Overdrive Shoot-Out Videos | iHigh.com

GlidingHawk

I found video of an archived St. Mark's game played this past January. Basabe is #1 in the dark uniforms. I watched a little of it. Basabe needs a lot of weight training. He is very thin. He has good hops, very long arms, a good rebounder, and appears to be looking mainly for the inside shot -- probably because it appears he's the tallest guy on the court in this particular game (in the limited action I saw).

Hoops in Overdrive Shoot-Out: St. Marks, MA vs Oak Ridge Military, NC | Hoops in Overdrive Shoot-Out Videos | iHigh.com

GlidingHawk

Thanks for the link. I love his length...but man he needs to get in the weight room and start eating some peanut butter sandwiches. He should be able to give us some good minutes off the bench next year and hopefully gain some muscle and develop into a good player. Just hope he doesn't get pushed around too much.

GlidingHawk

The other team was Oak Ridge Military (NC). They have Jay Canty, 6'5" wing going to Xavier. A 7 foot sophomore and Jacob Lawson, 6'8", top 100 junior. Not Mel's best game.

Here is a link for same tournament against Quality Education Academy. They have Quincy Miller, 6'8", Top 5 junior and Juvonte Reddick, 6'9" senior who had high major offers. Mel had 25 and 9 in this game. If you watch both you should get a good feel for his game.

I think people are too hung up on how players are ranked and who else offered. I think we'd all agree we'd like to have a few of Butlers players on our team. Here is how Scout ranked the Butler players before committing...

Shelvin Mack: 2 star - offers from Butler, Bradley, UAB and Miami
Ronald Nored: 2 star - offers from Butler, Harvard, S Alabama, W Kentucky, Wright St
Gordon Heyward: 2 star - just list Butler but had a couple major offers
Matt Howard: 3 star - Mostly mid majors but a couple major offers

My point is don't get too hung up on how services like Scout have them ranked. Would you have thought a team made up of the above would have been playing for the national championship? Kirk has proven it works in football and it can work in basketball, too. Just because we don't land the blue-chippers doesn't mean we aren't getting talented players.

Last edited:
My point is don't get too hung up on how services like Scout have them ranked.
I've said this for years although mostly just to myself. The biggest problem is that these kids are being compared to other kids, and nearly all of them are still developing. It's obvious Harrison Barnes is better than John Lickliter, but how Larson or Basabe or Marble or anyone else for that matter progress through college as they are still developing is completely unknown.

Latest posts