How far would you drive for Hawk FB on TV?

papathawki

In 1954 I was in flight school at Harlingen AFB in Harlingen, TX. At that time there was no live TV in the Rio Grande Valley. Not sure which game it was--I think Mich. State. I drove all the way to Corpus Christi, about 140 miles North, before I found a TV in the lobby of an old hotel. I kid you not, there were brass spitoons (sp?) on either side of the sofa I sat on. We won, so the trip home wasn't as long as you might think.

It depends. If I had a radio that got good reception, I wouldn't drive more than 30 miles just to see it on TV.

Before I would drive anywhere to see the Hawks on TV, I would subscribe to some sort of TV package, like ESPN's package.

Kind of depends on who we were playing. If it was a early non conference game against a team we should beat, maybe 40 miles.

If on the other hand, it was against tOSU for all the marbles late in the season and no radio, I would guess a couple hundred miles would not be out of the question.

In 1954 I was in flight school at Harlingen AFB in Harlingen, TX. At that time there was no live TV in the Rio Grande Valley.

The wife and I spend most of winter in McAllen. Plenty of live stations now, including ones from Mexico. I watched the Dolphins game with Mexican announcers one afternoon.

It is a pretty good drive up Hwy 77 to Corpus Christi. I'm sure the area is vastly different than in 1954. People there had to be dirt poor. I lived near Muscatine when Heinz used to have farmers grow tomatoes. We had many families from the Donna Tx area among the migrants. You can't appreciate what we have until you see the poverty across the border.

In 1954 I was in flight school at Harlingen AFB in Harlingen, TX. At that time there was no live TV in the Rio Grande Valley. Not sure which game it was--I think Mich. State. I drove all the way to Corpus Christi, about 140 miles North, before I found a TV in the lobby of an old hotel. I kid you not, there were brass spitoons (sp?) on either side of the sofa I sat on. We won, so the trip home wasn't as long as you might think.

Man you're old.;)

The funny thing is. THis is a reality for cyclone fans! They can drive 12 hours and still not see the clowns on TV. Which I find extremely funny.

The funny thing is. THis is a reality for cyclone fans! They can drive 12 hours and still not see the clowns on TV. Which I find extremely funny.

I wonder if they cram into one of those little circus cars.

Funny, I had a conversation with a buddy the other day about the days of having to listen to Iowa games on the radio. I almost miss it in some ways

i still remember growing up and listening with my dad. Z and Dolph were awesome and listening would just be gut wrenching at times waiting to see what would happen. Great memories growing up with that....what that said i would drive hundreds of miles probably now to watch :)

Tale of interest. Last year, I was visiting someone down in Kirksville, MO. I figured I would catch the Michigan State game that evening in a sports bar. I then discovered that they haven't invented satellite TV in Missouri yet, so I started driving back to Iowa to try and catch the game. 45 miles later, I found an awesome little bar in Bloomfield named Southfork Restaurant & Lounge, packed with Hawkeyes watching the game. Couldn't have asked for a better place to be when McNutt caught the pass. Highly recommended if you're in the area.

I would drive to the computer and get a satelite package that allowed me to watch the games, or get it on the computer. Acutally when we lived in Memphis we couldn't get a couple games but I got the satelite radio package and kicked it old school with Radio coverage.....it was ok

THAT is one of the BEST gamewatch stories I have ever heard. You rock papa!!!

Furthest I went was when I first moved here, couldn't get a sports package on TV or internet in time, and wanted to find some fellow Hawk fans. So I ended up driving up to a Sports Bar in Kirkland, which ends up being about an hour and a half from where I live. Unfortunately they lost (can't remember to who though). Lots of Hawk fans though, which made it fun.

Latest posts