How does this make sense?

dobhawk43

We had the same record as Michigan and Penn State and we beat both of them. But they get chosen ahead of us to play in the Outback and Gator Bowl and get handled? How is this allowed? Seems very unfair.:mad:

We had the same record as Michigan and Penn State and we beat both of them. But they get chosen ahead of us to play in the Outback and Gator Bowl and get handled? How is this allowed? Seems very unfair.:mad:

We played in a "lesser" bowl, but still played a better team than mich and psu did. Doesn't make much sense.

We've been the beneficiary of this in years past due to our fan base.

I'll bet nobody thought it was unfair in 05 when Michigan beat Iowa but Iowa got selected to play in the Outback and Michigan went to the Alamo.

Northwestern beat Iowa this year, why didn't they get selected ahead of Iowa?

because the bowls knew who was going to win the games prior to selecting?

not to mention that both michigan and penn state have national followings that travel better than Iowa. this has worked in Iowa's favor in the past when being selected over other teams despite having a worse/equal record.

Last edited:
We played in a "lesser" bowl, but still played a better team than mich and psu did. Doesn't make much sense.

according to the rankings. I think it could be argued that florida is a better team than Mizzou and miss state probably isnt far behind. I think it's safe to say that the SEC is far and away the strongest conference in the country and has been for sometime

Minnhawk is right on

many years we have been given a better bowl game and jumped people based on our fan base, fan travel, TV appeal
those programs have been mad about it and I guess this year it was our turn to get jumped

would like to go back to the system in which your place in the conference locked you into a certain bowl not the pecking order we have now

I do believe Iowa would have played much better than Michigan (obviously) and Penn State wins? who knows
We did not deserve the Capital One bowl but we would not have been beat by 42 I do know that

As was pointed about above, Iowa jumped Michigan in 2005 despite Michigan winning the head to head, and I would also point out that Iowa jumped NW in 2008.

As was pointed about above, Iowa jumped Michigan in 2005 despite Michigan winning the head to head, and I would also point out that Iowa jumped NW in 2008.

Correct. Almost every single year Iowa has benefited from the way the system works. So the one year it doesn't, you can't really complain. Iowa has went to better bowls than more deserving Big 10 teams in the past based on fan travel alone... and nothing else.

It's primarily what is wrong with the bowl selection. Name programs get preferential treatment, so you get what we had yesterday, which was an absolute embarrassment for the conference. Iowa would have stomped a mud hole in Florida and would have beaten Mississippi St. as well. It's a joke! Instead of placing the teams that belong, ie, the better teams, we get to watch the has beens get pummeled.

It's primarily what is wrong with the bowl selection. Name programs get preferential treatment, so you get what we had yesterday, which was an absolute embarrassment for the conference. Iowa would have stomped a mud hole in Florida and would have beaten Mississippi St. as well. It's a joke! Instead of placing the teams that belong, ie, the better teams, we get to watch the has beens get pummeled.

office_space.jpg

Jump to conclusions?

Is there anything Iowa fans won't complain about?

We went 7-5 and got to play the #12 team in the country. We got a break from going to Florida for the umpteenth time and instead went to Tempe/Phoenix, which everyone was salivating about last year when they thought we were going to the Fiesta Bowl. We got to play a team we hadn't played for 100 years and took revenge on them for pulling us from their schedule a few years back. We snapped our string of Arizona night-game horror shows. We got to play in a real college stadium in one of the cooler settings in the country, with a ton of bars/restaurants in the surrounding area (especially compared to Tampa's stadium, which is surrounded by freeways and parking lots). We got an opportunity to get the spread offense monkey off our back and delivered.

Yet playing Florida for the third time in the past eight years, a 7-5 team with their coach headed out the door, is supposed to be an upgrade from that? Or playing Mississippi State, a team we have zero inherent rivalry with/interest in? I don't get it.

We can chalk the snub up to losing at Minnesota. Michigan and Penn St. didn't necessarily light the world on fire at the end of the season either, but the entire fan base was pretty chapped about losing to the Gophers. I can't blame them for picking PSU and Michigan before us. That being said, watching the Outback/CapOne/Gator Bowls have teams we all beat and each of the 3 getting beat (2 pounded bad!) was tough to watch!

It's fair and I understood why. Iowa ended the season with a very very loud thump. The fan base was discontented - I'd say more so than PSU and Michigan's.

Latest posts