How Does ISU Land Better Skill Position Players and Athletes Than Us??

iowalaw

Banned
Perhaps the most disturbing thing about this recruiting class is being out worked by ISU. Of course we are going to beat ISU in overall recruiting ranking by a few positions (they will finish about 8 spots behind us)...our budget is 10 times theirs, our history is 10 times better than theirs, our name recognition is 10 times stronger than theirs, and they are one of the worst teams in college football. So taking pride in beating them in recruiting is like taking pride in taking candy from a baby. But when you look at the positions we REALLY need to upgrade, the positions requiring athleticism, how is it that Iowa State's recruiters managed to get:

A 3 star RB from California (when was the last time our staff stepped foot in California?) with Pac 12 offers
A 3 star WR from Oklahoma (when was the last time our staff stepped foot in Oklahoma?) who stands 6'3, 208
A 3 star RB from Georgia (when was the last time our staff stepped foot in Georgia?) with an offer from Georgia Tech
A 3 star LB from Chicago (what happened to our Chicago pipeline?)
Three 3 star DLs from Florida and Mississippi and a JUCO (our staff got frustrated recruiting Fla, so they quit, and stubbornly refuses to recruit JUCOs)

None of these guys are low hanging fruit. None grew up Cyclone fans. All of them had to be absolutely SOLD to come to the frozen tundra of Iowa and play for a cellar dweller team in a tiny stadium. All of these guys would have been welcomed additions to our recruiting class. So what on earth does Iowa State's staff have that we don't? They leave no stone left unturned while our staff gives late offers to Iowa boys who were planning on going to UNI. Meanwhile, a quick glance at their class shows that most come from Texas, Florida and California, with others from Georgia, Mississippi, and other southern states. For such a low paid staff on a low level team, they at the very least clearly outworked our staff.

ISU tends to put their skill players on the field and find ways to target them. Iowa likes to let them sit on the bench or block for the FB when they get on the field. I bet our WR can run better wind sprints.

Perhaps those players were not aware that ISU is actually in Iowa. I'm pretty sure that we have all been told that you cannot recruit players to Iowa. It's unpossible...

check admission standards (between conferences/schools) when you make comparisons. it's not apples to apples.

the whole juco thing (ferentz doesn't do it) - maybe there is a reason for that.

you know what the guy up in WI said - who went back west.........

Because their HC is a far better salesman than ours. He shows young talented guys that they can play right away. Remember how many times they targeted Lazard last year, while Willies sat when we played them?

I do not accept the premise of this question has it is false. Boyle, Cook, Garburt, Hockaday, Ogwo, Smith, Falconer and Graham are all good recruits. Iowa got skilled players from a variety of states too including: Florida,Texas, Alabama, Missouri and Ohio.

Because their HC is a far better salesman than ours. He shows young talented guys that they can play right away. Remember how many times they targeted Lazard last year, while Willies sat when we played them?

With all due respect to Willies, Lazard's ability is on a completely different level.

Iowa State is also forced to play guys right away. They have had approximately a dozen players transfer or get kicked off the team in the last month alone. Willies was behind an all time leader in Martin-Manley, an World Record holder in Smith, and a speedster in Powell.

Iowa was forced to do this at LB this year and it was a debacle, like Iowa States football history.

It's kind of hard to tell. So many players leaving Ames we don't see the end product. Actually ISU uses the players they recruit. KF recruits players to appease the fan base then absolutely refuses to adapt to anything in football.

With all due respect to Willies, Lazard's ability is on a completely different level.

Iowa State is also forced to play guys right away. They have had approximately a dozen players transfer or get kicked off the team in the last month alone. Willies was behind an all time leader in Martin-Manley, an World Record holder in Smith, and a speedster in Powell.

Iowa was forced to do this at LB this year and it was a debacle, like Iowa States football history.

If I hadn't seen with my own eyes the talent and ability that Willies displayed in the Spring game, the open practice and the spectacular catch he made earlier in the year, I would agree with you.

They play as freshman.
They get twitter and facebook during the season.
Their coach is exciting and vocal and shows that no matter what he loves his team
Their coach didn't give an interview a few weeks ago where he said he wasn't doing enough and wasn't around enough.
Recruiting visits are more fun at ISU

If you like what Rhoads is doing, and the players he is recruiting, just go be a ISU fan then. I mean you can't argue with his results, it is definitely a program "On the Rise".

I disagree with isu being on the rise too. They are bad, and will continue to be bad. Maybe once a year they get lucky and that's it.

ISU recruiting class rank is 65. Iowa is 58 according to Rivals. Both classes suck. Neither group should be happy. But I'm sure one fan base is.

It could very well be academics requirement issue, getting into the school and for players looking to stay eligible. Troy Davis, both Davis brothers, would not have gotten a scholarship at Iowa and probably not admitted.

WTF??? Do some really believe the OP here? ISU signed (3) 2* WR and a 3* WR....the only good offer amongst the 4 was from Washington St.

They also signed 4 DB's and all of them 2 * kids.

Two of the 3 highest rated kids they signed were from the freaking state of Iowa, you know that State that Iowalaw tells us doesn't produce any talent.......

Latest posts