How Does Iowa Land Better Skill Position Players and Athletes Than Us??

Billso

Found this on a Cyclone board:

"Perhaps the most disturbing thing about this recruiting class is being out worked by Iowa. Of course they will beat us in overall recruiting ranking by a few positions (they will finish about 8 spots ahead of us)...their budget is 10 times ours, their history is 10 times better than ours, their name recognition is 10 times stronger than ours, and we are one of the worst teams in college football. But when you look at the positions we REALLY need to upgrade, the positions requiring athleticism, how is it that Iowa's recruiters managed to get:

A 3 star LB from Michigan (when was the last time our staff stepped foot in Michigan?)
A 3 star WR from Texas (when was the last time our staff stepped foot in Texas?) who stands 6'1, 180
A 2 star RB from Alabama (when was the last time our staff stepped foot in Alabama?) with 4.41 speed
A 3 star LB from Texas (what happened to our Texas pipeline?) with SEC offers
A 4 star OL from Ohio and two 4 star OLs from Iowa (our staff got frustrated recruiting Ohio, so they quit, and stubbornly refuses to recruit Moville)

None of these guys are low hanging fruit. None but maybe the Paulsens grew up Iowa fans. All of them had to be absolutely SOLD to come to the frozen tundra of Iowa and play for a cellar dweller team with a stupid Fred Flintstone mascot. All of these guys would have been welcomed additions to our recruiting class. So what on earth does Iowa's staff have that we don't? They leave no stone left unturned while our staff gives late offers to Iowa boys who were planning on going to UNI. Meanwhile, a quick glance at their class shows that many come from Texas, Ohio, Michigan, Florida and Alabama. For a staff totally demoralized from losing to us, on a team trending down fast, they at the very least clearly outworked our staff."

Last edited:
Go away, Billdo. Iowa State does not aspire to come close to Iowa in recruiting. They don't have the money. They simply dominate Ferentz on work ethic and on the field.

Not to mention, your post is embarrasingly inaccurate. Since when did we sign three 4 star OL or a 3 star RB from Alabama? Last I checked, we got one 4 star in the entire class (whose brother attends Iowa) and a two star RB out of Alabama with zero offers.

Right the clowns would be crazy to think that they could reach the levels that Iowa has on the field.

Go away, Billdo. Iowa State does not aspire to come close to Iowa in recruiting. They don't have the money. They simply dominate Ferentz on work ethic and on the field.

Not to mention, your post is embarrasingly inaccurate. Since when did we sign three 4 star OL or a 3 star RB from Alabama? Last I checked, we got one 4 star in the entire class (whose brother attends Iowa) and a two star RB out of Alabama with zero offers.

Fixed the RB error, thank you for that, and here are the three 4-stars.

Found this on a Cyclone board:

"Perhaps the most disturbing thing about this recruiting class is being out worked by Iowa. Of course they will beat us in overall recruiting ranking by a few positions (they will finish about 8 spots ahead of us)...their budget is 10 times ours, their history is 10 times better than ours, their name recognition is 10 times stronger than ours, and we are one of the worst teams in college football. But when you look at the positions we REALLY need to upgrade, the positions requiring athleticism, how is it that Iowa's recruiters managed to get:

A 3 star LB from Michigan (when was the last time our staff stepped foot in Michigan?)
A 3 star WR from Texas (when was the last time our staff stepped foot in Texas?) who stands 6'1, 180
A 2 star RB from Alabama (when was the last time our staff stepped foot in Alabama?) with 4.41 speed
A 3 star LB from Texas (what happened to our Texas pipeline?) with SEC offers
A 4 star OL from Ohio and two 4 star OLs from Iowa (our staff got frustrated recruiting Ohio, so they quit, and stubbornly refuses to recruit Moville)

None of these guys are low hanging fruit. None but maybe the Paulsens grew up Iowa fans. All of them had to be absolutely SOLD to come to the frozen tundra of Iowa and play for a cellar dweller team with a stupid Fred Flintstone mascot. All of these guys would have been welcomed additions to our recruiting class. So what on earth does Iowa's staff have that we don't? They leave no stone left unturned while our staff gives late offers to Iowa boys who were planning on going to UNI. Meanwhile, a quick glance at their class shows that many come from Texas, Ohio, Michigan, Florida and Alabama. For a staff totally demoralized from losing to us, on a team trending down fast, they at the very least clearly outworked our staff."

Brilliant......not that it takes much to make Iowalaw look like a d!phit, but it is still fun to do.

Last edited:
Our class is ranked like 10 spots higher than probably the worst program in the country.

Fu#%ing disgusting.

This is can't end soon enough.

Our class is ranked like 10 spots higher than probably the worst program in the country.

Fu#%ing disgusting.

This is can't end soon enough.

Iowa avg. 2.71 *
ISU avg. 2.45 *

Which is about the same difference between Iowa's and Wisconsin's/TCU/Baylor's classes. There is a big gap between what Iowa brought in, and what Wisconsin/TCU/Baylor brought in.....there is also a wide gap between what Iowa brought in and what ISU brought in. To think it is even close when you look at it just isn't using any kind of logical thought. I know that is the prevailing wisdom around here, but man, I just can't jump on board with making an idiotic comparison between Iowa and ISU's classes when they aren't even close.

Iowa avg. 2.71 *
ISU avg. 2.45 *

Which is about the same difference between Iowa's and Wisconsin's/TCU/Baylor's classes. There is a big gap between what Iowa brought in, and what Wisconsin/TCU/Baylor brought in.....there is also a wide gap between what Iowa brought in and what ISU brought in. To think it is even close when you look at it just isn't using any kind of logical thought. I know that is the prevailing wisdom around here, but man, I just can't jump on board with making an idiotic comparison between Iowa and ISU's classes when they aren't even close.

I just can't jump on board with anyone who wants to down play how bad Iowas recruiting has sunk to.

We used to be better than Wisconsin.

I just can't jump on board with anyone who wants to down play how bad Iowas recruiting has sunk to.

We used to be better than Wisconsin.

Where did I downplay how bad Iowa's class is? I simply said it isn't close to ISU level and I'm correct. If you think Iowa class is similar or on par with ISU's, then you also think that Iowa's class is on par with Wisconsin/TCU/Baylor. That is what I am saying.

Use your head, think logically. I want KF gone just as badly as you do, I just refuse to think like a blind hating idiot on absolutely everything. ISU's recruiting class isn't close to Iowas, and that is a fact.

64 Power Five Conference schools in the country. Iowa's recruiting class is ranked 58. That's what they are emulating? Even Iowa doesn't want to be Iowa when it comes to recruiting.

And where in the world is the OP getting his star ratings from??

Both schools had abysmal signing days. Flat out disasters.

64 Power Five Conference schools in the country. Iowa's recruiting class is ranked 58. That's what they are emulating? Even Iowa doesn't want to be Iowa when it comes to recruiting.

I agree. We needed to finish the class off with Higdon, Daniel/Willaims, Bartlett, Crawford, Garbutt, and a DE (Hart, St. Armour, Neal)

Iowa commit list: http://foxs.pt/1As8OD5
Scout team rankings: http://iowa.scout.com/a.z?s=8&p=9&c=14&yr=2015

I'm biased towards Scout, but they've also poached most of Rivals' best analysts over the last 2 years as Yahoo stopped caring, and are probably the strongest of the services now in every region but Texas where 247 Sports is historically strong due to Bobby Burton et al

Latest posts